Starter pole shoe driver bit

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
mn42ford
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Starter pole shoe driver bit

Post by mn42ford » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I could find a screw driver bit for removing the pole shoes on a starter and gen. I will have to be used with a impact of some sort. Thanks

Derek Eddlestone
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Starter pole shoe driver bit

Post by Derek Eddlestone » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:23 pm

What you need is a 'Drag Link Socket' which is like a large screwdriver blade that is available in 3/8", 1/2" or 3/4" drive and with various sizes of blade. The only place I've seen them is on the Snap On truck but they aren't very expensive.I'm sure that the 'pole' screws could be removed with a Drag Link Socket and a Breaker Bar instead of an Impact Wrench.
The original idea was that they could be used to adjust the drag link in the steering mechanism and they do make that job easy.

Derek.

Ian Jamieson
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ian Jamieson » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:23 pm

You can also go to your tool store and purchase an impact driver. These usually come with 2 straight bits and 2 philips bits. You simply put into the screw head, hold tension against the screw and hit the driver with a large hammer.

Pole shoe screws are notorious for being very tight.

These drivers work both ways.

Ian
1941 Willys MB.
1942 Dodge WC57 Command Car.
1942 Dodge WC 53 Carry-All

Thomas Romine
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Thomas Romine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:52 pm

I took mine to the local starter repair shop. They use a special tool to remove and replace the pole screws because of the torque they require.
MVPA 21751/GLMVPA
'45 MB Serial Number Unknown/Body 215953
'45 MB432364/Body 217478 Approx DOD 4-4-45

Cuz
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Cuz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Last year there was a long post on this exact tool issue and several photos and sources were listed. Try using the search function for the G and you'll find this several times discussed.
Cuz (AKA Wes K)
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 6? M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D & 47 T3-C

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:47 am

Being an old farm boy, I have had a lot of creative moments in my life. Removing pole shoe screws being one.
I made a cradle from angle iron that the housing would lay in to keep it from rolling.
Found a large flat blade screw driver. Cut the end off and put it in my drill press.
Put the housing in the cradle on the drill press bed.
Used the drill press to hold the screwdriver blade in the screw slot and used a cresent wrench on the flat off the blade to turn it.
Worked great!!
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Mike Wright
US Army Major (Ret)
US Army Major (Ret)

Post by Mike Wright » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:47 pm

I do very simular to Mike, however, AI use a press instead of a drill press to place pressure on the pole screws, gives more pressure on those really stubborn ones :wink:
Mike Wright
SEEKING MOTOR # GPW 2636
MVPA# 4341
GPW 2636, DOD 28 FEB 42, Reg# 2055811 (est)
GPW 104331 DOD 31 MAR 43, Reg# 20369321 (est)
MB-101008 DOD 27 NOV 41, Reg# W-2032462 (Original)
MB 438075, DOD 1 MAY 45, Reg# 20704591 (Original)
Converto ABN Dump 0886168
M2-HB gun trailer

mn42ford
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by mn42ford » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks guys for the different ideas. I tried the search with no luck, but will try the other ideas. Thanks again

bazza46
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bazza46 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:54 pm

Whatever type of driver you get, make sure you get, or make, some kind of device like the ones described above to apply lots of pressure to the driver.

Otherwise, you run the risk of having the driver slip out of the slot under torque, buggering up the slot. Then you'd have a mongrel of a time trying to remove the screw.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"..Bertrand Russell

Jerry Hudgens
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Jerry Hudgens » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:28 pm

I have completely rebuilt/restored four Jeep generators and that included removing the field coils and pole faces, etc. The way I did it was: I put the generator on a homemade kind of stand to keep it from turning, etc. . I then wet cloths and put them inside against the field coils. I then used an acetylene torch to heat the area around the screw that holds the field coil pole in place. I then used an impact driver with the large bit and hammered down on the screw with the impact driver and the screws all came out relatively easy. I did try one without heating the area around the screw and I could not budge it even with the impact driver. In my case, all of the four generators were rusted up quite a bit so if your generator is not really rusty, I am sure your screws will come out easier than mine did.

The wet cloths kept the heat off the field coils and I had no problems with them or any sign of damage from heating the screws for the pole pieces.

When you re-install the field coils, you must be careful that you do not pinch the wire that connects the two coils in series since it has very little room in the case and you must make sure that if you re-wrap your field coils (like I did), that your wrap is tight and does not distort the shape of the coil. Otherwise, you will have a hard time getting the re-wrapped coils back in the genrator with no shorts or rubbing on the armature and with the field pole faces correctly seated. I had a lot of trouble with one of the generators, due to my re-wrapping changed the shape of the coils.

Jerry HUdgens
42 GPW

David H. Morganthall
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by David H. Morganthall » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 am

They make a hand driven impact driver that matches the size and it works very well compared to air and brute force, both of which failed me. David
Restoring June '42 Script GPW Phone 443-865-4800 / Email davidmorganthall@gmail.com

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”