Looking for replacement parts numbers

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
Quacken
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Looking for replacement parts numbers

Post by Quacken » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 am

Hi all. I have hull #17856 and when I got it, it was a tour dukw. I started to restore it but lost my mind along the way and turned it into an RV that I've been living on in the James river here in Virginia for the last 2 years. I do have ORD 9 SNL G-501 for parts numbers and Rex's number on speed dial but I'm looking for replacement parts numbers I can get here in the states. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks...

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Looking for replacement parts numbers

Post by Steve Greenberg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Hello,
What parts are you looking for?
Steve
42 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
44 GMC 2 1/2 Ton Amphibian Truck (DUKW)

Quacken
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Quacken » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Steve, I'm looking for anything and everything. lol.. This is my daily ride and stuff like brakes wear out. I've had them re-lined but they are bonded and they don't hold up too well in and out of the river. Instead of rebuilding the carb I would love to replace it.. ect, ect..
Short list of what I've found so far -
Fan belt = Gates TR28437
Front wheel cylinder GM-5451212 = W3406 (Wagner) $29. each
Rear wheel cylinder GM-5451214 = w3677 (Wagner) $44. each all off of 1950 GMC 1/2 ton
I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, just want to keep them rolling and still having beer money left...

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Steve Greenberg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Hello,
I have been using both bonded and riveted brake shoes on my DUKW for a long time and have no problems with either type. I installed a 2 barrel Rochester carb on my DUKW about 20 years ago. I have had no problems with it. I do not remember the model number. I am at the MVPA Convention right now. If you want the model number I can get it for you when I get back home. A local auto parts store had a 1 to 2 barrel carb adapter that worked just fine. I have some current parts numbers at home I will post for you when I get back.
Steve

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Funny how things turn up, I live on the James River (Isle of Wight, Carrollton by the James River Bridge) have two dead DUKWs, never knew there was one around the area, let alone running.
Guy built a replica 1917 tank locally, I heard nothing about it till it was done and he did all the research in the museum that I'm a member of the Collections Board, no one on the staff mentioned it, and I have a WWI Liberty or the same era with full shop to make parts/repairs.
Go figure, never know what's in your backyard sometimes.
What "part" of the James would you live on?
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Quacken
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Quacken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:26 am

Steve - Yea I have both on my dukw now with the riveted ones on the rear (drop) axle. Not sure what the rear hubs are off of but they are not dukw parts. My guess is cckw or M-135. I'm not sure why but in the last 5 years they still look good but the other 4 I only get 1-2 years before they need to be re-shoe.
I've had bonded brakes drilled and riveted in the past but when I tell people here what it for they say they can't do it.. Fear of messing up would be my guess.
Sir, Yes Sir - I would love to have the carb/adapter numbers but have a questions - why a two barrel? Are the jets to small on one barrel and how hard was it to set up? Again, thanks for the help Steve...

Quacken
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Quacken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 am

Hi W.Winget - I'm a ways up river from you. I live in Lynchburg but have been spending my time in Amherst at Monacan park on the James. I work with disabled Vets/kids and need to get my 6 pack license for insurance to be able to take them out over night. I intend to work the whole river and will most likely be down your way in a bit and will post my reports here to give you a warning...

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Steve Greenberg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:31 pm

There are several 270 1 to 2 barrel adapters on ebay. Do a search under: "GMC 270 1 to 2 barrel adapter" They are around $20. I have a machinist friend of mine round the top edge so the flow would be better. You may be able to find one at a local auto parts store that specializes in hot rod items. The carb I have on my DUKW is a Rochester 2GC. It is an older one with a manual choke. I installed the 2 barrel for a little more power and it seems to get better gas mileage!
Steve

Quacken
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Quacken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:59 pm

I think I found it Steve but it does not say it's for a 270 GMC. Also it has 4 mounting hole but intake manifold only has 2 stud (gm-2090796 -063936). My guess would be that only using 2 nuts would/should work but they looks too long to fit without governor assembly (gm-2135779) and that raises a question of did you keep gov.ass. on motor or take it off and why did you? I'm not sure yet if I will use the Rochester 2GC large 2 barrel or a smaller Rochester 2 barrel until I find the specs on them.
Ed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Carburetor ... 1429507022

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Steve Greenberg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:16 pm

That looks like the one. It is a universal adapter that will work with several manifolds. I would ask the seller if it does in fact work on a 270 manifold. I did remove the gov. Since I am the only person who drives my DUKW, it is not necessary. I do not over-rev the engine.
Steve

Quacken
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Quacken » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:23 am

Your right Steve, it's a universal adapter that will work on both the 270 and 302. It's in the mail. While researching the 2GC I see that it was used on big block V8's down to Jeep 225ci and I'm wondering how big is too big? May I ask what car was your carb for and did you just slap it on or did you have to do anything to it or eng to make it work?
Ed

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Steve Greenberg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:02 am

Ed,
I got my carb from an antique car pars place that specializes in GM parts. It was NOS and I think it was for a GM car out of the 60's with a 6 cylinder engine from what I remember. I bolted the carb on about 20 years ago and it has worked just fine ever since.
Steve

Quacken
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Quacken » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:28 am

I settled for a 2-barrel rochester from a 1969-CJ5-jeep 235ci... so far so good...Thanks for the info Steve...

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”