WTB/WTT Ball Pein Handle

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

WTB/WTT Ball Pein Handle

Post by USAFpj » Fri May 19, 2017 12:41 pm

With tools coming and going between us all, can someone keep an eye out for a correct length ball pein hammer handle for a 16oz head, 5/8ths opening head? Thanks, gents.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Re: WTB/WTT Ball Pein Handle

Post by lt.luke » Fri May 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Will try. I don't recall seeing any handles at all lately. Do you know the specifics of what your hunting? Perhaps it would be used with more than one size hammer?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm

The best source for a vintage hammer handle is a vintage hammer, in my opinion. It doesn't even need to be a correct brand. I have picked up cheap vintage hammers regardless of the make if it has a nice handle. You can pull the wedge. It takes a vise and some good eyes and a sharp tool to expose it, and some brute strength and patience to pull it, but it can be pulled. Knock the old head off. After you put the new head on, work a wad of sawdust and shellac into the end and keeping thumbing it into the opening and let it sit awhile (or use wood filler if you want) and finish it off with a slightly bigger wedge.

But I will check my hammers tomorrow to see what I have. I seem to recall checking for someone awhile ago, though, and having only lots of 4 ozers and 32 ozers on hand.
TEMPORARY DUTY

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Wingnutt wrote:The best source for a vintage hammer handle is a vintage hammer, in my opinion. It doesn't even need to be a correct brand. I have picked up cheap vintage hammers regardless of the make if it has a nice handle. You can pull the wedge. It takes a vise and some good eyes and a sharp tool to expose it, and some brute strength and patience to pull it, but it can be pulled. Knock the old head off. After you put the new head on, work a wad of sawdust and shellac into the end and keeping thumbing it into the opening and let it sit awhile (or use wood filler if you want) and finish it off with a slightly bigger wedge.

But I will check my hammers tomorrow to see what I have. I seem to recall checking for someone awhile ago, though, and having only lots of 4 ozers and 32 ozers on hand.
Was thinking similar, and postulating that the sale (or within spec) handle may have been used on some "non-jeep/GMTS" hammers.

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, Luke. OB is looking for a Jeep hammer handle. It should be 14-1/2" long, +/- 1". And it looks like the head he's looking for a handle for has a diameter of 5/8" (assuming he's measuring across the long diameter of the oval). That might be asking too much, but a rasp will take care of excess diameter.

The 32 oz hammer handle is not the same size and neither is the 4 oz. The lengths of those hammers were not specified in the GMTK manuals, but I have averages across all brands somewhere in my notes. I think it's like 11 inches for the 4 oz and 16 inches for the 32 oz.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat May 20, 2017 2:38 pm

OB,

I have two (2) handles available. The top one (stained, with a hanging hole) and the middle one (unstained).

The top one has been used. It still has a wedge in it. It is exactly 15” long. It has a solid eye measuring 7/8” x 1/2”.

The middle one has not been used. It is marked. If you can’t read it, it says: “FOR 16-20 OZ HAMMER / SAMPSON / 14 IN. MACHINIST”. It is exactly 14” long. If you’re worried about that marking not matching your hammer head, whatever it is, I would lightly sand the marking off and stain it. It has a split eye (for the wedge) measuring 7/8” x 5/8”. I'm pretty sure this is a more modern handle.

The lower one is an intact VAUGHAN hammer with a Value Brand handle. I am only including it for scale per the conversation above. It is marked “12 OZ” and it is exactly 13” long.

TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”