M274-M274A1 Flexible fuel lines

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
LANCE MILLER
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

M274-M274A1 Flexible fuel lines

Post by LANCE MILLER » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm

After getting told basically the same thing from 3 different hydraulic shops about the 3/16" flexible fuel lines that are like this one pictured I have a question for 4 cyl. mule restorers. What did you do for the flexible line? I have been told that no one makes the ends anymore because of liability issues of having the same fitting size as brake lines. I'm working on both models and I need to source something to use on the first model from the fuel pump to carburetor. On the second model I need the lines that go in the carburetor well and the line from the fuel pump to bulk head fitting on the carburetor well. John Emery is looking for me, but it doesn't sound promising plus I would like to use a rubber that will survive with ethanol. I haven't even been able to find any barbed ends for 3/16" hose if I decided just to use straight hose. So I'm wondering if anyone has came up with a solution to this problem.
Thanks,
Lance Miller

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: M274-M274A1 Flexible fuel lines

Post by muleman7 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

Lance

You can remove the crimp fitting from the original ends and go to your local welding shop they should have crimp sleeves for Oxy-Act hoses. I will take pics in the morning of the sleeves and crimping tool I have and Post.

As for Ethanol resistance fuel line ask at the Auto Parts store about its composition. Buna-N and Viton seem to be the choice for Ethanol Resistant compounds.

If possible stay away from Ethanol fuel I use Non Ethanol fuel with 2 oz of Sta-Bil per 5 gal.

Check brake line specs and see if it will resist Gasoline that may be the closest you get to making it look original.

Flexible copper tubing may also work as a crimping sleeve the pump produces less than 6 psi so it should be easy to seal.

My Ford 801 Diesel uses a rubber hose from the filter to the Injector pump.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

LANCE MILLER
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by LANCE MILLER » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have do problem finding the hose, it's the 3/16" fittings for the ends that's the problem. Plus I haven't found an independent shop to make them up. No hydraulic shops around my area will make them because of liability reasons. It all has to do with the size being brake line size. I'm just going to use 1/4" hose and barbed fittings I think.

Lance-W
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Lance-W » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 pm

While not completely stock in appearance something like this might be tolerable?

-3 or 3/16th's isn't really an option other than Teflon lined brake line. But if you step up to -4 or 1/4" you just get a hose end fitting to replicate what you have? I searched for black thinking that would be your preference but if not there will be many more options.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/dep ... an%20black

These are some of the hose ends you can get. The search tool is very powerful but I don't really know what type of threads, etc are on the ends of your hoses. There's thousands on this website so just be tenacious with the search function or their customer service is stellar so maybe you could just call?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/dep ... =Ascending

LANCE MILLER
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by LANCE MILLER » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 am

Thanks, I was at Summit on Monday. Those an ends are just too large to fit in the area of the carburetor well. I think I know what I'm going to use now. I was just hoping that someone had luck getting original size lines made up.

LANCE MILLER
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by LANCE MILLER » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:48 am

John Emery came through on fuel lines. 4 Cylinder owners might want to get spares while he still has them. Lance Miller. http://www.lancemillermv.com

Return to “Mule M274”