Oregon collectors call your state reps now. $1K/year tax

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
wreckless
Gee Addict

Oregon collectors call your state reps now. $1K/year tax

Post by wreckless » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Proposed for all vehicles twenty years or older registered in the state.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1 ... Introduced
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

Old Pal
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Oregon collectors call your state reps now. $1K/year tax

Post by Old Pal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:44 pm

This would not apply to antique vehicles, which for the current year would be 1958 model year or older.

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:32 am

Old Pal wrote:This would not apply to antique vehicles, which for the current year would be 1958 model year or older.

Call anyway. These things become gateway laws that open the door to new taxes and changes to the dates that of vehicles that will be taxed.

This is nothing more than liberal environmental terrorist wacko crap. Push back or lose more rights.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:17 am

What he said. Remember when seat belt laws were secondary violations? That was just to get the law passed. Now it's a primary violation and local police get grants from the Feds to set up compliance checkpoints for all motorists. Don't let it start and they can't expend it. Remember the camel's nose under the tent.
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by gearhead » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:17 pm

'58 or older is a crock too, most states are 25 years or older.
54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Dig a little further $1K/year tax

Post by W. Winget » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Now I understand why....here's an article about it.
W Winget

SALEM, Ore. - A top Republican lawmaker from Powell Butte on Friday blasted Democrats for proposing legislation that would, among other things, put a tax on coffee and a $1,000 "impact tax" on cars more than 20 years old.
In addition to introducing a tax on coffee Thursday, House Democrats also introduced HB 2877, which would levy a $1,000 surcharge on used vehicles, said state Rep. Mike McLane..
The $1,000 tax, which would be paid by any Oregonian who owns a vehicle from 1997 or any year prior, is sponsored by the Democrat-controlled House Revenue committee, McLane said.
“The used car tax proposal is pathetic,” McLane said “Only out-of-touch liberals could have come up with an idea this dumb, which would hurt seniors, students and working families.”
As drafted, HB 2877 would allow the Oregon Department of Transportation to levy penalties, interest and collection charges on top of the $1,000 tax on Oregonians who fail to pay the fee on time.
The tax would be applied every five years. HB 2877 was referred to the House Revenue committee on Friday.
Oregon House Republican Office spokesman Preston Mann noted Willamette Week updated its story Friday to report that Democrat lawmakers said the coffee tax bill was unlikely to make it out of committee, which Mann said "begs the question, why did they introduce it yesterday?"
http://www.ktvz.com/news/mclane-blasts- ... /325860804

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:28 am

That would hurt a lot of people. For example.......I own NOTHING newer than 1990! :shock:
I own too many to count older than 1989.
I own NO antiques of any kind, and don't ever intend to own antique vehicles. I do NOT ever plan to plate a vehicle as an antique! (Also ........I do not have ANY HMV's I absolutely HATE that term. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) They are maybe MV's but I call them military vehicles.
Everything I own is just regular plated and can be driven anywhere....anytime.....for any reason....of my choice.!!!!

And yes.....I am a bit bullheaded about this. :lol: :lol:
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:32 am

Just think of the proposals that would be floating through right now if hillary was president!
Oz

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:56 am

That's all these libtards want to do here in the west....tax, tax, tax....fee, fee, fee.
They literally have nothing else to do but sit around and come up with BS ways to steal more money from us.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 am

Retired War Horses wrote:That's all these libtards want to do here in the west....tax, tax, tax....fee, fee, fee.
They literally have nothing else to do but sit around and come up with BS ways to steal more money from us.
Just so long as its some one else's money, not theirs
Oz

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 am

And a fee is just a tax going by a different name.
Roy

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Hmm...sure looks like a $200.00 per year assessment/tax/whatever ya call it....they collect $1,000 every FIVE years. Not $1,000 every year.

Just sayin'....
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 pm

This is what happens when libs and foreigners move in. They impose their philosophy via income redistribution and taxation. That is just the a fact.

NM is the same. The state is getting worse every year.

I am moving soon to a more conservative area where God, veterans, honesty, hard work and tradition is welcomed. East coast is LOST. West coast LOST, Niedermayer LOST. Not an exact translation.

niedermayer.jpg
niedermayer.jpg (6.33 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
Oz

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Huh. Interesting thread. A few thoughts, in no particular order:
Just think of the proposals that would be floating through right now if hillary was president!
Perhaps. But you do realize this thread is about an Oregon state law, and that the feds (U.S. DOT/NHTSA) have NO authority over what a state does with regard to vehicle registration, don't you?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Hillary supporter. But are we better off with Trump, and nothing much getting done currently?
Hmm...sure looks like a $200.00 per year assessment/tax/whatever ya call it....they collect $1,000 every FIVE years.
I'm not supporting an annual $200 fee on old vehicles, BUT. I don't consider it a deal-killer for a collector either, even IF it goes into effect. Here's why:
Anybody who can afford to have a second "collector car" can afford to pay extra for the privilege. You're already able to pay extra to buy it, maintain it, insure it, etc. I doubt that another $200 per year would really drive anyone from the hobby.
I hate to point this out, but many "collector" and older vehicles are less fuel-efficient than current-year vehicles. But higher fuel expense doesn't really seem to diminish the number of collector vehicles around.

I'm not even convinced that this bill is going anywhere. Here's the legislative status: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1 ... iew/HB2877
There are a LOT of businesses that profit from old cars; repair shops, parts stores, insurance agents, used car dealers, etc. I cannot believe that they would sit still for a bill that discourages ownership of these vehicles.
I don't see any evidence that the bill is moving forward.
This is what happens when libs and foreigners move in.

Well, most of my foreign ancestors came here from Norway, Ireland, and England. Trump's family came from Germany. Where were yours from?
My Jewish Uncle Max earned his Purple Heart for his injuries in Normandy, and my Norwegian/English Uncle Leo was a Marine who survived action at Chosin Res. and on Okinawa. What's it take to be an American?
Not picking a fight here, but I'm unclear what any of this has got to do with a state law. ?

Just sayin'...
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:36 pm

undysworld wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm

This is what happens when libs and foreigners move in.

Well, most of my foreign ancestors came here from Norway, Ireland, and England. Trump's family came from Germany. Where were yours from?
My Jewish Uncle Max earned his Purple Heart for his injuries in Normandy, and my Norwegian/English Uncle Leo was a Marine who survived action at Chosin Res. and on Okinawa. What's it take to be an American?
Not picking a fight here, but I'm unclear what any of this has got to do with a state law. ?

Just sayin'...
Perhaps I should be more specific. I am talking about outsiders with NO desire to become Americans. They want what has served us for hundreds of years to bend to their will and norms. Many are here illegally, paying no taxes, sucking on my "tit" and calling me intolerant all the while laughing at the American way of life. The people you are referring to came here to be Americans, to contribute, to make it better for their family and others. That ethic seems to be lost on those I refer to as foreigners, spurred on by libs wanting me to pay for their disdain.

I'm just sick of it.

Now as to what it has to do with state law, the libs, who want the illegal votes and support of these "foreigners" need more money to pay for implementing their views of a "just and verdant society". I volunteer more than 40hours each month at the prison, food bank, church to make things better. If the libs would each donate 5 hours instead of taking money out of my pocket to create their utopia, things would get slowly better without new laws and stupid dumb ass taxes.

It really is quite self evident... to most.
Oz

Return to “Legislative Issues”