Radio and Antenna

Radio Telephone and Telegraph Transmitting and Receiving Equipment
pc1075
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Radio and Antenna

Post by pc1075 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Looking to add a Radio and Antenna to my '45 Willys MB Jeep, not sure where to start (dealers etc...)
Any pointer’s is greatly appreciated?

Simon
:D

brian in denver
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Radio and Antenna

Post by brian in denver » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 pm

start by reading list of radios at the top of the section.
in its intirety
than go to portrayal press and buy the TM 11-2715 instalation manual.

BB
keeping it strac here boss
I hate aquaphobic horses ;)

pc1075
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by pc1075 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Ok....I have done this and this helps me how?
and I went to Portrayal Press....and they sell installation materials!!!!

My question was "Looking to add a Radio and Antenna to my '45 Willys MB Jeep, not sure where to start (dealers etc...)"
...meaning, I woukld like to buy a radio and antenna to add to my jeep and I have researched Google etc....

Was hoping to be pointed in the direction of a dealer/member who may have sets/kits for sale...?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Simon.

brian in denver
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by brian in denver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:15 pm

now im confused, what does portrayal mean instalation materials, ?? thats not a manual number.

although i may suspect the new owner isent familier with his inventory yet?

I think robert downs sell the jeep instalation manual. also.

out of a 20 different radio types which one do you want to install? infantry, artillery, armor, ?

pick a number any number. because theres no such thing as a "jeep radio"

BB
keeping it strac here boss
I hate aquaphobic horses ;)

GPW43
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW43 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Simon
If you are NOT hard core like some of the folks out there on Gnet the cheapest solution is to install a GRR-5 radio on the Jeep; For transceiver I recommend BC-659 if you wish to model earlier installations or for later in the war installations use a BC-1335; post WW II era you can go with RT-77 or GRC-9; please note getting the mount for BC-1335 or GRC-9 can cost some $$$; Grr-5 is the cheapest option and Fair Radio has some rusty mounts; You can sand blast and paint them as once they are installed they are not showing much meat. For antenna you can use various length MS antenna sections and MP-48 base- again this setup will cost you about $350 to $500 depending on condition of the base and antenna section and/or antenna bag/mount cover; for Korean era install the AB-15 base with smaller MS sections, about $100 will take care of it nicely.

I recognize this is neither an official list nor the approved list by some but good enough to pass mustard with most folks. Get a LS-7 speaker for the installation with a CX-1334 cable , typically they come in 2 foot length with a U-77/U on one end and JJ-026 on the other; it will fit into the JJ-055B plug on the LS-7 speakers that usually comes with. Another route is to go with H-113 headset which is going to cost you much less, check FAIR RADIO in Ohio or $bay;

If the cost of getting a LS-7 speaker is prohibitive then get a LS-454 speaker, you can find them for $30; If you go with a transceiver installation then you need the right mic/speaker combination or handheld telephone type TS-13E - http://phonesurplus.com/handsets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , another option is to get LS-7 and T-17 microphone.

I have SEVEN Grr-5 in my collection and you need to ensure the power supply is functional. Typically they suffer from three main issues, the rectifier on the end of the cable is dead or cuts out when it gets hot, the four pin vibrator is gone dead on you (you can check the net on how to revive them) and finally the T102 transformer which after 70 plus years of operation gives up and starts to short as the wiring insulation deteriorates.

Take care
Zareh
Last edited by GPW43 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zareh
GPW 43
BMW R27
BMW R35

pc1075
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by pc1075 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:33 am

Thank You Brian and Zareh for your assistance...most appreciated.

I do not want to offend anyone, I'm not into dressing up, re-inacting or having a fully functional radio to talk on (not too many Military Enthusiasts in Orlando),
I’m more into "displaying" my Jeep at shows locally in Orlando and for parades with the local VA to use, so I'm looking for "Display Issue" ..........but it must be correct for WWII.

Now I have the Radio #'s and Antenna #'s....I can start the search to find, buy and display.

Brian sent me a link and I found SCR-610 set-up and with your #’s too, I have something to search for.

THANK YOU....Simon
8)

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

pc1075
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by pc1075 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Farrell...this is exactly what I want to do and I am already researching for these and I googled Tom Campbell for his FT-250 Mounts.

I already found today an MP-50, MP-48 and a complete set of MS49-53 Antenna's, the Radio Cover (BG-153), T-17 and T-45 Microphones...so I'm on my way

My wife even had a great idea of incorporating a CD player within the radio and have a continuous CD playing 1940’s music from both the US and the UK ...such as Vera Lynn “We’ll Meet Again” and having President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill give their speeches for WWII etc...ALL for Display Purposes at Car Shows.

WANTED:
SCR-510 or SCR-610 Radio Case with external switches (Does not need to be in working condition or have any guts)

Simon.

Return to “Radio's and Communications”