Carb Float Adjustment

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
dhbyers
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Carb Float Adjustment

Post by dhbyers » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 am

Quick question on carb float adjustment, could some one post a closeup picture of what part you bend on the carb to achieve the correct float adjustment?

My MB is prone to flooding after running for a while?

Brandon
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Carb Float Adjustment

Post by Brandon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 am

I dont have a spare float sitting around but it's the center tang. You only adjust the float tang. The two side ones with the holes in them for the dowl pin is not them the one in the middle. If you have the correct needle pin spring and seat assy its the only thing that actually makes contact with the float. It should be easy even without a pic. Hope this helps. I just use a small needle nose pliers to make very small adjustments and reassemble and measure for the 3/8in distance from the bowl cover without gasket.. Im sure there is even a carter tool to bend it somewhere.

Brandon :D
1942 Willys MB Slat Grill 114640
1952 Strick M-100 Trailer
1958 Dodge M37B1 L245-1196
http://www.g503.com/serial-numbers/view ... rd_id=3821

dhbyers
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by dhbyers » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 am

Thank-you perfect answer, I thought was the case, have you heard of anyone tweaking the adjustment slightly either up or down. I smell gas and the MB is prone to flooding after running for awhile? TX again

Derek Eddlestone
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Derek Eddlestone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:04 am

dhbyers wrote:Thank-you perfect answer, I thought was the case, have you heard of anyone tweaking the adjustment slightly either up or down. I smell gas and the MB is prone to flooding after running for awhile? TX again

The level in the Float Bowl is what determines how easily the fuel can be drawn up to the Nozzle Jet which is what you can just see poking in to the Venturi Tube in the centre of the carb. Setting the Float Height at 3/8" means that on even ground the level in the Bowl will be at the same level as the lower lip of the Venturi Jet. Too low a level and more vacuum is required in the Venturi Tube and too high a level means that the fuel will spill through the Nozzle Jet in an attempt to even out the levels. With the engine running this will never happen as the Fuel Pump is constantly topping up the Float Bowl and you will be wasting fuel as the engine runs rich. Following experiments carried out by another more scientifically minded jeep owner I have reduced the Float Bowl level by a tiny amount. The running of my jeep is totally unaffected by this change but I understand that the fuel economy will improve. Any link between Float Height and riding over uneven terrain won't affect me as I only run on roads.

The picture of the Float shows the centre tab that you bend to adjust the Float Height.

These are the Carter Tools that you should use if you're working on your jeep carb. The tool that Brandon mentioned for bending the tab is shown second from the left. This tool kit is from 1938 but most kits up to the 1950s could have all of these tools in them. The only tool not shown is the 3/8" blade used to set the Float Height. I use a 3/8" drill now because the blade has to be at exactly 90 degrees to the face to be accurate whereas the drill is 3/8" whichever way you roll it.

Sometimes the tool kits go for silly money but check these two out that I recently found on ebay and you don't have to pay a lot. One has been sold on and the other is on its way to me as a potential sale. Both kits contain every tool and gauge needed to work on the WO and more tools as well.

Derek.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”