Cargo / Dump conversion project

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Cargo / Dump conversion project

Post by 42cargo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:25 pm

The unusually warm winter in Texas this year has enabled me to make some decent progress on my project.

I'm trying to work from the bow to the stern, sandblasting and priming parts as I go along. Those that don't need any welding repairs are getting a first coat of OD. The others will have to wait until I buy a welder and get 220 working in my shop, hopefully in the next month or so.

Today I got a bit sidetracked on dealing with a fuel line leak, but I was able to strip out all the windows in preparation for getting new glass.

This truck was really in great shape as far as rust when I got it, so the cab and associated parts are not going to need a whole bunch of work. The bed, on the other hand, has been badly dented over the years as is the nature of dump trucks. (The original cargo bed was straight as could be. That ended up going on a former auger truck in Utah.)

I toyed with following Dave's example and building a complete bed from scratch, but I decided to restore what I've got. The local sheet metal fabricator is bending some hat- and u-channels that I'll use to make all new stake pockets and he's also forming up some heavy gauge channel that I'm going to use to replace the outer lower rails on the bed. Those parts should be done in the next couple of weeks and I'll take photos as I start grafting them in.

I tore the 1944 235 down that I bought from BobC out in Arizona. It was as clean as could be inside. Machine shop boiled the block out and said the cylinders are all at original specs and the crank and cam shafts were likewise in good shape. That was great news.

Driver side

Passenger side

Front clip

Window frames

Farrell Fox
banned
Re: Cargo / Dump conversion project

Post by Farrell Fox » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:50 pm

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:39 am

Hi Farrell,

Thanks for your note. I'm using one of Harbor Freight's portable units. Works great, except the ends on the deadman handles wear out quickly from sand hitting them when you go from on to off. The local outlet doesn't sell replacement parts, but the main distributor in California does, so I've got a bunch of those coming shortly. Once I change the ends, plus add a new porcelain tip, I should be good to go for a while longer.

We have a long weekend coming up at work, and if the weather's good, I'm hoping to get the cab all primed. That will be a major milestone.

John

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Finally got my shop wired for 220 and have been using my welder to address stress cracks and holes in the truck.

I had the local sheet metal place fabricate some stock to use to repair the damaged sections of the bed. Made the first stake pocket and am pretty happy with the result.

Plan is to keep concentrating on the cab and getting that all primed, painted and reassembled. I'll then lift the bed off, clean up the chassis and axles, and set to work on welding new panels into the bed.

It's a ton of work (as you all know) and I had one of those "what the heck did I get myself into" moments this weekend. But I attached some of the front clip parts and that made me see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

The rate I'm going, I'm hoping to have this at a point where it's all painted and together by the end of the year. I'll then have to rewire it.

John

Sleeve
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Sleeve » Tue May 22, 2012 6:09 am

It's looking great and is coming right along. I'm sure most of us can relate to those dark moments half way through a big project like this.

The civilian front end sheet metal on the truck was a very interesting , I've often wondered just how that would look.

-Mike-
1945 G7163 Earth Borer

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 am

Hi John... Nice BIG shop you got there to work on it!

If I had a garage/shop like this to store my completed Chevy, I wouldnt have ever sold it.

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks, Dave. It sure is a change from when I was living in Los Angeles and either had my stuff outside or in one half of a two-car garage.

Funny thing though, the larger space has not made me work any faster!

John

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 pm

It's starting to look a bit more like a truck.

Got it fired up this weekend. Engine runs well, didn't give me any issues after I primed it a bit.

Brakes are sticking once the engine's running. (They turn freely when it's off.)

I'll go through the following to try to isolate the issue:

1) Disconnect the vacuum line to the hydrovac.
2) Check the valve on the hydrovac line that's mounted on the firewall.
3) Recheck toeboard clearance.
4) Re-bleed brakes, particularly the hydrovac rear nipple.

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:58 pm

John,

Your truck is looking fantastic! I had forgotten that you had all of the troop carrier parts. It looks like you have found all of the parts needed for a fully restored truck. Not many can say that. I am certain that it felt good to hear the engine run again.

Paul
Last edited by forestry4evr on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks Paul.

Yes, with the exception of some small parts like the original PTO driveshaft support bearing, the splash guards around the engine and the bracket to mount the suppressor to the generator, this truck is pretty much complete. (Well, other than the wiring harness, which totally needs to be replaced.)

If the weather is decent this weekend, I'll post some more photos and video of the dump in action.

John

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Alright John. That was worth waiting for. Lookin Sooweeet !

Good luck getting the brake bugs out of it.

Tony

cooler king
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cooler king » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Looks like a Hercules D12S2 dump body. How did you stumble on to it?
The lower edge was wasted on my bed to. A 10 ft. press brake was difficult to find around here.
I used a 10ft. section of square tube, the same width, same gauge, as the edge. I split it length wise. 1/8th inch in from the top radius, 1/2 from the bottom radius,or what ever the lower edge is. Flame cut it with a sheet metal tip. Plasma would have been better, i dont have one.Cut out the old welded in the new. Turned out good. You have to look hard to notice it was messed with.
Your truck is coming along great.

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:21 pm

John,
You often comment on how slow your restoration is coming,Well I guess there's something to be said about taking your time and doing it right. Great job, I really like the troop seats and top bows.
Kelley

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:24 am

Looking great John! Nice to see the progress you've made since you started.
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks for the comments. It has now taken me twice as long to get this far as it did for the Allies to prevail in WWII. (Unless you start with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria, which I know would technically be cheating.)

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”