I want to report on yesterdays' and todays' progress.
The front assembly is next. I checked over the parts for possible problems and found that the pinion flange nut was not too good on its' thread, so out came the thread file as it is a non-standard thread (approx 1" x 18tpi), for a clean-up. That worked OK.
With no other problems that need to be sorted now, I fitted the new bearing cup to the pinion carrier . . . . . .
. . . . and cone/race/rollers to the pinion. This was a slow process, and tiring.
Next was to set the pinion bearing pre-load which is simply tightening the pinion nut (which doubles as the seal surface!) and feel the resistance to turning.
Then all that again with the crownwheel shaft, which also carries the spur pinion for the second ratio reduction. This shaft is held at each end with a large-ish bearing, each of which had to be driven home the same way as for the pinion bearings. Then assemble it in the housing with its' shims to check/adjust preload. Strangely, it was locked up tight with a couple of mm left to go. Hmmm . . . In frustration, I called it a day.
Next morning, when a lot fresher, I checked it and everything looked right. So kept looking, dis-assembling the shaft and bearings only to find the neither of the bearing cups were driven properly home. Ooops. That fixed, I set it up again only to find that I needed a shim that I didn't have. So I made one from some .010" sheet steel the neighbour had.
This also gave me the chance to use the step drill I purchased after advice from you guys after my previous attempts.
Worked like a beauty!!
The next step was an initial setting of the backlash (free play between the crownwheel and the pinion). The book says .005" - .010". I much prefer the less the better, so aimed for .005".
Then it was attending to the "setting" of the crownwheel and pinion. I think I mentioned this a bit when doing the rear diffs. Anyway, this diff was not going to be co-operative. And after pulling the bearing carriers about 12 times, I managed the contact pattern shown below. Good height, but a bit narrow and quite toe-y. It was becoming a case of diminishing returns, with only very very little change in the last two shim adjustments. That'll do. It's the front diff and won't be used much.
Yes, last time I used "bearing blue", but as I didn't have any this time, I just used some enamel paint. Works fine.
Wow. I was not looking forward to setting up that diff, sure am glad it's done.
Have a nice day,