Went out this morning for a little Mite jaunt. I'm 30 miles in the middle of the desert and start hearing a clunk in the front end and it is a heavy clunk at that! CRAP!
Okay, I limped it home and got the front jacked up and on stands. The front left backing plate was lose as a goose! But something else I noticed while jacking it up. I placed the floor jack on the front differential and when I started to jack it up the Mite didn't move but the engine sure did
Long story short. The front motor mount, broken! The right rear motor mount, broken! YIKES!
I pulled the axle shaft and the brake drum and found one of the four backing plate studs was gone (from it's hole) and wedged between the brake shoes and the backing plate. It is all chewed up like a beaver was snacking on it. I have a spare differential so I robbed a stud and nut and put it all back together. I took it for a test drive and all is good, as far as the clunk and brakes go! I called Paul at Surplus City Jeep Parts and I'll have all three motor mounts early next week. I'm glad it turned out to be an easy fix.
And they lived happily ever after!
PS, I think my Mite has seen the last of any rock crawling!