Attention GTB Series Owners

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
68427vette
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Attention GTB Series Owners

Post by 68427vette » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:02 am

Last edited by 68427vette on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

68427vette
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 68427vette » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:21 am

Last edited by 68427vette on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Scott
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bill Scott » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm

This is a very late reply on the GTB passenger seats, but Jerry Denny at Raccoon Creek Restorations in Lanesville has made many of them. email him at: raccooncreek@frontier.com
2 - MHU 141 bomb trailers
12.5 Kw diesel generator
1993 M35A3
400 gal. water buffalo
2003 M932A2
1942 T16 universal carrier

Bill Scott
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bill Scott » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 am

I currently own a 1943 Ford GTBC Bomb Service Truck. It is restored. I had much difficulty finding parts to complete the restoration, and want to put together some resources for those others that are in the same predicament.

I have some resources that can make some parts. I have a few parts. I currently have some rear tail light brackets if anyone is interested.

I know someone that can make top bow sets, tool boxes, etc. But, I would like to start some dialog with others that are looking for parts, and also for those that may have parts for sale. Maybe some swapping or sales can happen. I am not in this for the money. I just want to make sure that others don't have to go through the same difficulties as I did.

I have talked to a couple of machinists who can make the rear fenders, front fenders, engine covers, etc. They are most difficult to find, and the ones you can find are in very bad shape. If there is enough interest, I might get someone to make them.

A friend of mine has some battery box covers and data plate sets.

I also have a complete documentation, with photographs throughout the entire restoration process of my truck, as I found it, through completion. There are too many pictures to email, but would be happy to put them on a CD and mail them to anyone who wants them. This is how we should do in our hobby. Offer to share with others. You can do it, too. It is not always about making money.

I'm also looking for an "original" side seat for a pattern. Mine was made from drawings. Other extra parts are also needed to make reproductions. I really don't want to take my truck apart. I'd be happy to pay for shipping and return it to you.

Bill Scott - President KILROY Chapter- MVPA
MVPA #3170
12.5 Kw diesel generator
1993 M35A3
400 gal. water buffalo
2003 M932A2

jzimm
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jzimm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Bill:

PM sent

John

rgus
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by rgus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:22 am

Bill great idea. I am going to need the typical stuff when the time comes. Top Bows, battery box bottom ect. ect.
43 M3A1 256117, 42 CCKW 129,XXX, 43 GPW 146954, 43 WC54 81635383, 43 WC54 81665843, 45 WC52 818682 "MO', 43 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO", 44 GTBA NAVY CARGO 218299, 43 PE95, 44 Checker K52 Trailer,42 MBT 375, 44 Coverto Trailer 886475

Bill Scott
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bill Scott » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:58 am

Just et me know when ou gt closer. I'm alsohoping that some people have some extra parts and will post them as well.
12.5 Kw diesel generator
1993 M35A3
400 gal. water buffalo
2003 M932A2

groundhugger
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by groundhugger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Just bought a Navy bomb service truck with Braden winch... only the back is frame with dual wheels, but the front and inside looks great... will try to post some pics but not the best on posting pics, would send some to somebody smarter!!! would like to put some form of truck box on the back and use to haul vets around in parades with troop seats... I use a M-37 now but this Burma Jeep will be alot neater... need passenger seat and some pics of how it is supposed to look...

Bill Scott
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bill Scott » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:14 am

I recently restored a 1943 Ford GTB Bomb Service Truck. If you are also doing so, you are aware of the difficulty in finding parts for them as they are an unusual vehicle and there are not enough of them around for most of the big companies to make parts for them that are unique to those trucks. I'm working with a few people, local (not foreign countries) to make some parts for the Ford GTB vehicles. GTB owners really have very few sources for the parts that are exclusive to them.

Things are starting slowly, as you would imagine, so I am starting with some of the most needed parts as a result of the many phone calls I have received since completing mine. When I restored my Bomb Service Truck, many parts were missing or severely damaged. I made my passenger seat from drawings supplied by another MVPA member. We later found that the drawings were mostly accurate, but left out some details.

I also made my top bow set from the remnants of the one on my truck and used other drawings to make up the rest. It is also not absolutely correct. I had to make the rear tail light brackets, too. They are correct, and very difficult to make. I have a few extra setws of them.

I also made a new tool box, the metal one. It is exactly correct. I even drilled holes in the top just like the other original ones I have seen, but have no idea what they were for.

These machinist friends of mine also made me a wheel for my chain hoist that rides on the I-beam. It is much better than the original. It just tells you what they can do.

I finally borrowed an original passenger seat from John Zimmernam. Friends of mine who are machinists are now measuring it and are going to reproduce it. I do not yet know the cost for them and won't until they make one. They will make several of them.

I am looking for some help. I need to find an original top bow set for both the bomb truck and the cargo truck. I will gladly return them to the owner. I'm sure that the one I made for myself has some little details that are incorrect.

We can also make other parts but need to find the need from owners. This is not a get-rich scheme for me. I just want to be able to help others that had the same problems.

We are considering making the rear fenders, but they are very, very complicated and I'm not sure how many people would want them. Because of the tooling, I would have to make a bunch to make them affordable. To repair the ones that were on my truck, took abouot 60 hours of labor.

I am looking for GTB owners who have parts that they would like to have reproduced. I don't know exactly which ones they can produce, but unless I ask you I will not know.

I am also looking for all of the help I can find on these topics and would appreciate any forums you use to help in our quest.

GTB owners are in a small circle. Let's work together to find some solutions.
12.5 Kw diesel generator
1993 M35A3
400 gal. water buffalo
2003 M932A2

Bodger Baz
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Bodger Baz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 am

i have GTB Cargo, that's very nearly all finished now, i have made cab hood bows, passenger seat, front cargo cross member, fuel tank and many other parts, i am more than happy to do drawings pictures etc that might help others. i have a few pictures on here http://www.flickr.com/photos/62137668@N06/

i am having the canvas made at the moment, Allied forces in the UK have some originals for a pattern but they have shrunk a lot.

Barry
International M3L-4 Cargo
Bedford Scammell OXC
Ford GP
Dunbar kapple M100

http://www.facebook.com/militaryvehiclerepairs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ford GTB online gallery,http://www.flickr.com/photos/62137668@N06/

Bill Scott
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bill Scott » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 am

I'll get back to you on Monday.
12.5 Kw diesel generator
1993 M35A3
400 gal. water buffalo
2003 M932A2

jzimm
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jzimm » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:45 am

below is a link to a photo album showing the restoration of Bill Scott's GTB bomb truck. He's been very helpful to myself and others working on GTBs. I hope mine looks half as good as his when I get done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jzimm999/B ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

acmack
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by acmack » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Dataplate for GTB 137628, date 8-10-42' .

Tom, I have a question about my hood number, actually it is my "tailgate" number since the hood numbers are not present.
It is USN 203?86. The question is, is this number specific to Navy Service? I ask because if you look just to the right of the N you can see MY in larger white letters. Also on the bumpertte is 6AAC which I would guess to be 6th Army Air Corps. Just to the left of USN U is a larger white U. You can also see bits of the white S under the USN S and the bottom of a white R under the NAVY A and Y
It seems this GTB has a Navy and ARMY service life. So the question is: would this GTB have had the same 203?86 hood number in ARMY service?
I'm going to letter it in ARMY markings since it appears to have been in ARMY service first. I believe this to be the case since when I got the truck it had a civvy fire dept red top coat. When I sanded that off gray showed up then the next black NAVY numbers. Then under the gray was O.D. Under the OD was white letters and under that OD then primer red then bare metal.
And just to confound things even more - not shown in the photo are another US in smaller grayish white/light blue? letters to the left of the big 4" U also on the tailgate.
Unfortunately the hood numbers appear to have been sanded off as the hood was stripped to bare metal by the former Fire Dept owners that put a glossy automotive like thick red laquer paint on the hood.
David

Any other spacecraft or missile owners out there?
60' M422 538
65' Apollo BP CM A-36
60' Gemini BP CM MSC312

Bill Scott
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bill Scott » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 am

I can't answer your questions about Army vs. Navy, but I do believe that these trucks were only used by the Navy.

All of the trucks were O.D. when they left the factory. When they were commissioned by the Navy, they were given a "registration" number which would have been painted in white on the hood. The vehicle identification number is not the registration number. The VIN is on the frame and the transmission. They do not match the registration number.

Then, if the vehicle was placed into service, the Navy usually painted them "Navy grey", which could have been any number of actual colors of grey. Then, they would repaint the registration number over the grey in black letters.

Having said all of this, there were several colors of registration numbers used at different times during WWII, including white, black, yellow, etc.
12.5 Kw diesel generator
1993 M35A3
400 gal. water buffalo
2003 M932A2

jzimm
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jzimm » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Do you think all Navy GTBs were repainted grey? I was under the impression that they were grey if used at state-side airfields, but may have reamained OD in the Pacific theater.

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”