I hope this does not become confusing, please remember that I am using photos from 4-5 different transaxles, so don't be confused if things look a little different from one photo to the next, and a few of the photos are staged with empty cases.
At this point, I went ahead and removed the left and right axle housings. There are shims behind the right axle housing, so keep up with them as before.
Now, cut the safety wire on the 2-3 shift fork lock screw and remove the screw.
The two shift rails have springs and poppet balls just like the high-low range shifter, so remove the two plugs in the case above the shifter rails and remove the two springs and balls. The M274 and M274A1 mules only have one plug, so the 2-3 shift rail poppet ball and spring can only be removed after the shift rails are removed. There is also an interlock slug between the two shift rails, so the 1-R shift fork must be in the neutral position before the 2-3 shift rail can be removed and the fork removed.
At this point, you will be tempted to try to remove the main gear assembly, but it won't quite come clear, and this is the point where gear teeth are easly broken!
Did I mention that the engine will have to be removed? You will need access to the flywheel side of the transaxle case.
Remove the throwout bearing return spring, the throwout bearing and the fork, then remove the 4 nuts and washers around the input shaft retainer.
Carefully seperate the throwout bearing carrier from the bearing retainer and remove it.
There is a snap ring around the shaft that must be removed before the bearing carrier can be removed.
Now you can slide the input shaft foward enough to give you room to remove the mainshaft assembly from the case.
With the main shaft removed from the case, you can drive the cluster gear shaft out from the engine side of the transaxle and then remove the cluster gear and the two thrust washers.
Use the same basic procedure to remove the reverse idler gear shaft, gear and thrust washers.
Now you can remove the other shift fork and rail, and don't forget to remove the interlock slug between the two shift rails. I use a small magnet to remove it through the 1-R poppet ball hole.
The case is empty and ready for a lot of cleaning. In my case, since the housing was cracked, I removed all the usable studs and the case went into the aluminum scrap pile!
Part 3 will show the reassembly, but I've got a lot of cleaning to do first!