Mutt lift kit

M151 modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

SV2IPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Mutt lift kit

Post by SV2IPW » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:07 am

I want to ask, how is it possible to lift 2in the front suspension system of the mutt without to change the angle of the weels?
Is it possible to put spacer to the main body of the car?
or to change the springs?

Hummerkiller

Great question...LOL

Post by Hummerkiller » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 am

You need to add spacer plates on the bottom of the front uni-frame where the IFS mounts, I used two 1 inch steel plates per side on my 1967 Ford M151, longer coil springs should be used from a Jeep Wrangler or late model Cherokee. The IRS is easier to do on a M151 and M151A1 then a A2 the trailing arms on a A2 should be lengthened and wider tires are a must on all models. If you need more info just let me know and i can explain our mods no problem man. Hummerkiller

Spike
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Spike » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:13 am

Well, look what the dog dragged in :lol:

Nice seeing you post. How are you feeling?
For everything there is a season....
Semper Fidelis

Hope for Change.

Hummerkiller

How do I feel???...LOL

Post by Hummerkiller » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:33 pm

I feel like a dried out dog turd after a rain storm...LOL

Slowly going from feeling like s-h-i-t to a little better then...LOL

My vacation to Boston wiped me out thank God we flew this time...LOL

It was fun and we did some off roading down on the sand dunes of Cape Cod in the 1952 M38A1 I rebuilt for my Brother last year.

Not a bad Jeep only added a lift kit and bigger tires everything else is stock. Hell I bought the body tub for $50.00 and had the parts around here to throw it back together again. The body tub was near perfect with no rust or magor dents but completly stripped so we had to find a few parts to buy and trade but in the end it was a fun project and came out nice.

I finished up on the 1946 CJ2A I built for my Brother Geno but had a buddy trailer that Jeep up due to me not feeling well.

I modified the crap out of that rig...LOL

Chevy 350, automatic tranny, bucket seats 6 inch lift kit and Dana 30 and 35 axles as well as a set of 30 inch tires.

He paid for the parts and I did the work for free.

I am just now allowed a little shop time and it feels great to get my hands dirty again, decided to rebuild the original Dana axels off the CJ2A I mentioned above, a little work here and their then off to bed for rest.

I gained a little weight back, don't look like a skeloton anymore anyway...LOL

Still gowing my big Jew Beard and even had a few cold beers on vacation so life is good

Mike Rogers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Mike Rogers » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:01 pm

My mutt had aluminum spacers stuck in the springs (two in each spring on opposite sides of each other and about midway up the spring). I cut them out since a couple were missing. I have no idea if they were military or a civi add on. They lifted the jeep about an 1" to 1 1/2" without any unusual characteristics.

Glad you are back HK. This place was not the same w/o you.
Mike Rogers
43 MB
M151A2
M416
San Diego, CA

SV2IPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by SV2IPW » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 am

Mike, is it possible to upload some photos of your modification?

Mike Rogers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Mike Rogers » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Sorry-

I didn't take any pictures of the spacers before I cut them out. They were about once inch aluminum blocks with groves in them for the springs to compress around.
Mike Rogers
43 MB
M151A2
M416
San Diego, CA

Hummerkiller

Those Blocks are a Military issue

Post by Hummerkiller » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:16 pm

They are known as coil blocks and used on the very earliest ofM151A2 FAV's even pre FAV for ground clearance over rocky terrain.

Knick named Lego's they were later added to larger longer coil springs on M151A2 FAV's allowing to about a 2-4 inch lift depending on how larger the spacer blocks were and how much the springs where stretched, some bolted in others like steel blocks were welded in place on the coli springs.

I had a debate about this with someone a while back who said they were never used and then someone lucky had a pictures of them installed to proove my point. I never took pictures of them either wished I had as it was a great solution to ground clearence issues on steep rocky terrain.

Any mod that was used in service or adapted for a said vehicle is 100% acceptable as stock Military issue, hence why I get into heated debates with some pro stock people, over modifications and Prototype designs.

Without the many Protypes their would not have been a stock model

MUTT Vet
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MUTT Vet » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:01 pm

What about center of gravity issues?

With the mutt up a little higher, wouldn't that increase the chances of roll over?

I'm asking because i would like to raise mine a little too.
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail!***
---
ARMY (1995-1997): MOS- 11B (Infantry Airborne)
AIR FORCE (1998-Present): (Weapons Instructor)
---
M151A2 - 7 Feb 1972
FV701 Ferret Scout Car - 1962

Hummerkiller

Without mods on a M151 and M151A1 yes.

Post by Hummerkiller » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:00 pm

The trailing arms on a M151A2 pretty much erase the roll over issues with a M151 series Jeep.

artillerydan
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by artillerydan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:08 pm

So just to clarify on all this...

How much can be lifted on the front. By just using flat plate shims between the frame and the suspension assy. Without having to do different springs or shocks or??? Or are those twist in spring deals the way to go... (on a tangent I remember seeing these on something in the past, and since I only play with MVs :? )

How about the rear suspension?

I have a USMC A2 FAV. It has the "dual" springs in the rear. I think this should be enough lift overall (in the back). But what about another 1" or 2?? I have the large tires on there now and the back seems OK but the front is a problem as the tires rub on the latter part of the outer wheel well. I got under there and instantly thought 2" plate... longer bolts.... an hours work... then I started to worry about steering geometry. :roll:
43 WLA Harley
43 MB
43 M20 Armored Car
44 M24 Chaffee
44 M19 40mm
62 M114 ARV
75 MC4000 Forklift
96 CUCV II Tahoe
2017 MRZR
M1030, B1, M1 - Motorcycles
M817, M818, M819 - 5 Tons
30-M151s Every variation available
MVPA 7411

moose53
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by moose53 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:42 am

dont forget the driveshafts either, the more you lift the more you're extending them. At some point you would need to lengthen them. Also you're changing the angles involved which at some point would effect the u-joints.

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032, G838.org

------------------------
1971 M151A2 1966 M416
1968 M101A1 1976 M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

gpready
USMC CWO3
USMC CWO3

Post by gpready » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:56 pm

artillerydan wrote:So just to clarify on all this...

How much can be lifted on the front. By just using flat plate shims between the frame and the suspension assy. Without having to do different springs or shocks or??? Or are those twist in spring deals the way to go... (on a tangent I remember seeing these on something in the past, and since I only play with MVs :? )

How about the rear suspension?

I have a USMC A2 FAV. It has the "dual" springs in the rear. I think this should be enough lift overall (in the back). But what about another 1" or 2?? I have the large tires on there now and the back seems OK but the front is a problem as the tires rub on the latter part of the outer wheel well. I got under there and instantly thought 2" plate... longer bolts.... an hours work... then I started to worry about steering geometry. :roll:
Got pics of the dual rear spring FAV setup? Id love to see the design.

Thanks
Joe
1976 M151A2 USMC (Pre FAV)

ltsimp
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ltsimp » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:38 am

My question has todo with steering when lifting a MUTT. What do you do about the Pitman & idler arms?

SV2IPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Mutt lift kit

Post by SV2IPW » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:47 pm

hello
i would like to know the length of the front NOS new spring-M151A2.

Return to “M151 Modifications”