Antenna Mounting Bracket Assembley FSN: 5820-930-3876

M151 modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

USMCGungHo
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Antenna Mounting Bracket Assembley FSN: 5820-930-3876

Post by USMCGungHo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:41 am

I would appreciate any information as to where I might find the procedures to install this item on my M151A2.
Thanks for reading this.

Dick
Richard LaTondre
CWO, USMC, Ret

Guest 1
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Post by Guest 1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:57 pm

You referenced an Antenna 5820-00-930-3876; that is the antenna bracket that can be mounted to either side of the M151 series jeeps. The mount should have SC-D-446059 stamped into the metal, at least that is what is on a later one that I have. There were two kinds of these corner mounts. The early ones, pre 151A2 required one of the footman loops to be removed from the vehicle depending on which side you installed that bracket.
The later ones for the M151A2 have a place cut out and you don’t have to remove the loop. I threw out all of my old 151 radio mount stuff and have regretted it since.
To install that bracket correctly per the manual you need TM 11-2300-35-1-15-4 dated Feb 67. If you can find any unopened kits the installation instructions came in the box.
The drawing # you need is SC-D-446058. Those instructions were in 151 or 151A1 kits used to install AN/VRC-46, 53, GRC-125, VRC-64, 65, GRC-160 & 161 radio sets.

Lots of opinions about which side to put a single radio with a single mount on, however the org. instructions called for the antenna bracket and radio to be mounted on the drivers or left side of the vehicle. Those same instructions reference the passenger side as the “Alternate” side for mounting. Most of the jeeps I remember in the service had the radios and antenna mounted on that “Alternate” side, it was easy for the driver to control the radio without getting out of the drivers seat, plus your not running the antenna coax across the floor giving some big foot a chance to kick out the connection.
I seem to recall that someone posted the drawing some time before.
If your really into radio sets and components try and get a copy of Supply Bulletin 11-131 “Vehicle Set and Authorized Installations” that covers all of the radio kits and breaks down each component of a kit.

Good luck with your project.
W. Roberts
MVPA 1401
M151A1C
M151A2
M274A5
M247A2

USMCGungHo
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by USMCGungHo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Doc!

Thanks for your response. I think I met the problen and figured it out.
I installed the unit on the right rear passenger side as it appeared to be the logical side based on several factors. i.e., the footman loops on that side could be easily removed as they were bolted to the body whereas the footman loops on the other side were welded to the body. I installed the two "L" shaped mounting brackets on the inside panels of the vehicle and ran the bolts through the outside, into the body, and into the mounting brackets. During my three tours in Vietnam I never had the time to closely examine the mounting procedures. I do recall that the driver or front seat passenger had access to the radio system from the dashboard upon which was mounted the remote control head and speaker(s).
The vehicles that had two of these mounts were normally assigned to upper echelons or to special comm units in support of air/ground ops, etc.
Once again thanks for your help. I did get a fine email from a gentleman called "Hummerkiller" but was unable to maintain comms with him.
My unit is an M151A2 and mounts an M60 on a floor pedal behind the rear seats.

Semper Fi

Dick
Richard LaTondre
CWO, USMC, Ret

Platoonboss
G-Private
G-Private

Re: Antenna Mounting Bracket Assembley FSN: 5820-930-3876

Post by Platoonboss » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:37 pm

I just mounted mine today and did not realize that the angle brackets were for inner support. It will only take a minute to add them tomorrow. Thanks.
Why can't I finish any of these projects?

signsup
banned

Re: Antenna Mounting Bracket Assembley FSN: 5820-930-3876

Post by signsup » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:27 am

The reflectors need to be removed to install the antenna mounts and brackets. Is there a specific relocation spot? Or are they just eliminated?
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Return to “M151 Modifications”