Slat Grill 106163

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Slat Grill 106163

Post by Jos » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:48 pm

This old lady celebrated her 80st birthday today. Back on her feet already. Engine came to life a few weeks ago for the first time in many years. Still on track to drive her first parade in May 2022.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Today I managed to disassemble the original water pump. Image

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:23 pm

About the water pumpโ€ฆ

Tried the shortcut. Just some cleaning and assembly. To be honest, it leaked like h*ll. So it needed serious rebuild.
After 2 attempts with other water pumps did some deep investigation on this forum. Soaked the pin in WD40 for a couple of weeks before I even started to pull it. My patience paid off. Pin came out easy.

Next challenge was to get the pulley off. Made a puller myself and it came off quite easy. After that it was easy to press the shaft out. This is done from the impellor side.
Seal face needed attention, but after a reface with a piece of sand paper glued to an old valve (Thanks YGL80) I was ready for re-assembly. Assembled partly (pulley needs to be installed). Itโ€™s time to celebrate Christmas first.

Cheers,

Jos

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:41 pm

Original slat radiator was rebuild by local radiator shop. Nice job in my opinion. But not sure if it was gloss or satin black from factory? Itโ€™s satin now, but I like a gloss finish as wellโ€ฆ.

Some pics after:

And before: this was just some of the debris that came out. Ports were mainly blocked.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:48 pm

Hello Jos ,

Excellent work !!
She is looking great so far !!

Happy Birthday to your Jeep
๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚ !!!!

And Merry Christmas to You and Your Family, and your Jeep !!
๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„

Keep us posted, very nice !

Best Regards,
Ray

Humvee1
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Humvee1 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:05 am

I used to have 106016 and it was missing the data plate. I always wondered if it was a Christmas Eve Jeep. Now after looking at your plate, I think it was!
Thanks !
Great Jeep!

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:32 pm

Hi All,

Last week I've done a first test drive. No body, fenders or what so ever. Just the bare thing. Still leaking some coolant from both water pump and hoses, but the engine runs smooth and without any major issues!

Will try to post some pics.

Best Regards,

Jos

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:36 pm

Like this. Some wood and an upside down potato box.

Best Regards,

Jos

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:43 pm

That was a major milestone to me. But yesterday I was lucky enough to find my original Registration number on the back panel. The hood was sanded down to bare metal before I got my hands on the jeep, but the back panel was covered in multiple layers of various paints.

After scraping off some top layers I found the last 4 digits in blue.

To me itโ€™s clear whatโ€™s there. Please share your thoughts with me.

Thanks, Jos

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:45 pm

Jos wrote: โ†‘
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:36 pm

Like this. Some wood and an upside down potato box.

Best Regards,

Jos
Hello Jos,

Looks great !!!
Must have been fun getting to drive it :D

Keep us posted !

Best Regards,
Ray

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:16 pm

Hi Ray,

Sure it was! When I bought the Slat Grill back in december 2017 I thought it was an easy job, but it turned out to be a ground up restoration. Everything you can imagine needed attention. I like to reuse the original parts as much as possible (instead of buying repro parts), but this is a very time consuming approach I found out.

This is where it started back in 2017: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=287425

Best Regards,

Jos

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:36 pm

Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:43 pm
That was a major milestone to me. But yesterday I was lucky enough to find my original Registration number on the back panel. The hood was sanded down to bare metal before I got my hands on the jeep, but the back panel was covered in multiple layers of various paints.

Thanks, Jos
Hello Jos,

This is an awesome discovery right here !!!
7617 is what I see .

Now you have your original hood number too :D :D !
That is great !
Also note the light green zinc chromate primer visible, under the olive drab paint.
A feature of slat grill jeeps.

Yes, restoration takes way longer than we think, and everything needs attention, but as you make progress, doing it right,
restoring original parts as you can, finding nos parts, or good replacement parts, the job gets easier, and is not work at all,
but pure fun and enjoyment :D :D !!

Best Regards,

Ray

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:49 pm

Hi Ray,

Thanks! That's what I think as well. Wasn't sure about the 6 from the beginning, but there was no 'gap' on the lower left side so it should be a 6.

That makes W-2037617 which is close to my best guess (W-20377xx).

Now I've the original numbers I wanted / need. Will start disassembling remaining body parts and have it sand blasted. Still a lot of work to be done but progessing...!

Thanks,

Jos

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:56 pm

70th Division wrote: โ†‘
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:36 pm

Thanks, Jos
Hello Jos,

7617 is what I see .

That is great !
Also note the light green zinc chromate primer visible, under the olive drab paint.

Yes, restoration takes way longer than we think, and everything needs attention, but as you make progress, doing it right,
restoring original parts as you can, finding nos parts, or good replacement parts, the job gets easier, and is not work at all,

Ray,

you are completely right. Forgot to mention the light green zinc chromate primer. Discovered that at different places already. It's a slat grill feature for sure. Nothing like that found on my January '43 or any other part I own.

Please have a look at the posts Hans from Belgium made recently as well. He did an excellent job on restoring my Speedo for the Slat grill. Topic can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=332299

This speedo will go in the SG when the body is restored and put back on the frame.

Cheers,

Jos

Best Regards,

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:11 pm

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:56 pm
70th Division wrote: โ†‘
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:36 pm

Thanks, Jos
Hello Jos,

7617 is what I see .

That is great !

Ray,

you are completely right. Forgot to mention the light green zinc chromate primer. Discovered that at different places already. It's a slat grill feature for sure. Nothing like that found on my January '43 or any other part I own.

Please have a look at the posts Hans from Belgium made recently as well. He did an excellent job on restoring my Speedo for the Slat grill. Topic can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=332299

This speedo will go in the SG when the body is restored and put back on the frame.

Cheers,

Jos

Best Regards,

Ray

Hello Jos,

Hans does excellent work, and is aware of the radioactive radium paint danger, in these speedos, which is super important to take caution when working on these.

He has done a beautiful restoration of you speedometer, it will look beautiful in your nice early jeep !!!

I am always glad when I see original Slat jeeps being carefully restored as they are rare and beautiful, like all other jeeps, but they are special :D !

You may get real lucky and find a name for the jeep over the rear wheel wells,
that would be super nice :D :D :D !

Best Regards,
Ray

Jos
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Jos » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:22 am

Hi Ray,

Do you have some good examples for me where exactly to look? Plenty of paint รกnd body filler used, so a pain to work me through all those layers to find the hidden history underneath.

By the way, this particular jeep was imported from the U.S. back in 2017, I assume she spent all - or at least most - of here lifetime in the U.S. Did U.S. soldiers give names to their jeeps when not at war as well?

Thanks,

Jos

Return to โ€œOriginal Unrestored WWII Jeepsโ€