early MBin Italy. To buy or not?

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Anith
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
early MBin Italy. To buy or not?

Post by Anith » Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 am

Hi guys, here is a early Willys MB for sale here in Italy. The seller is the son of the deceased owner. The MB was idle in garage for many years but now is up and running.
The asking price is 6k euros(6.5k usd) but I intend negotiating.

I have posted some pix of the jeep. I need your help in finding out if it is an MB as the seller claims or a GPW. Also, the lid of the tool box at the rear has 'x' stamped on them and wonder if either the MBs or GPWs has similar stampings any time.

Please let me know your observations and thoughts which will help me decide if I should buy it or not. I want to restore it to as original a condition as possible.

Cheers!
Anith (Italy)
Attachments
MB5.jpg
MB5.jpg (33.28 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
MB4.jpg
MB4.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
MB3.jpg
MB3.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
MB2.jpg
MB2.jpg (45.24 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
MB1.jpg
MB1.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: early MBin Italy. To buy or not?

Post by Fortyeight2A » Fri May 19, 2017 7:33 pm

The toolbox lids appear to have been made from an old jerry can. Definitely not right, and the lids should be much bigger. The doors are certainly interesting. Windshield frame is some of this and some of that. I am unable to see the details that determine MB or GPW, like front frame crossmember and shock mounts. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for it, but maybe the market there is different enough from the market here to make it worth the money.
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Sat May 20, 2017 1:35 am

The pics are too small to see much detail but holes for rear lights and handbrake are gone, things welded to the chassis front & back, the fender steps, the complete windshield, the seats, the toolboxes themselves are a lot smaller... Depending on how these modifications are done there not be much left of the original body. More detailed pics are needed.

I don't see any indication this is an early MB?

philipgslattery
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by philipgslattery » Sat May 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Anith don't touch it.

From the posted photos there is very little correct with this. Wrong door cut outs, wrong tool box lids, rough wheel well body, wrong lights, wrong bumpers , wrong seats,wrong windscreen frame , wrong steering wheel etc.etc etc..I suspect the sides of the body are full of filler.The cost to correct this would be considerable.
The pedals are the wrong way around.
Photos of the underneath and engine bay would be interesting.

You are better off looking elsewhere.Something better will come up.

Philip

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon May 22, 2017 10:56 am

Anith, when you see a jeep you think wow, im having that. When i bought my first jeep 20 odd years ago it was an M38 A1, no problem but being a bit naive about jeeps then, i was convinced it was WW2. :oops: I was soon corrected. Have a good look around before you buy, you wont regret it, and good luck. Dont forget, there is plenty of help and advice on here, if youre stuck.

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Tue May 23, 2017 4:02 am

I am sure I have seen these modifications in 1950s/60s photos of Jeeps in Italian army or police service.

However, if your want an orginal wartine spec Jeep, I should definitely steer clear of this.
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

vargento
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by vargento » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:52 am

No. Very, very abused. The price is too high. In Italy you can find by far better jeeps spending the same amount of money....
Vittorio Argento
1943 MB Willys
sn 238476
dod 3 June 1943
1944 MB Willys
sn 351501
dod 15 July 1944

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”