GPW 246581. DOD 1-45. Bookham, NSW, Australia

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

GPW 246581. DOD 1-45. Bookham, NSW, Australia

Post by Ian Fawbert » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:15 am

Hi all,

This GPW went under the hammer in an auction back in October, 2016. It was in the shed of a long time collector (some say hoarder) and machinery dealer located at Bookham, NSW, Australia on the side of the Hume Hwy- frequented, viewed from afar and longed over by collectors for decades. It had been stored (unlike 99% of the rest of the wonderful vehicles, steam/stationary engines and equipment) inside with a 43 GPW. It is one of a small batch of 45 GPW's we received he in Australia. While it is mostly original, it wasn't what i had hoped and I didnt bid. It sold for (from memory) around $7000AU.

It showed evidence of a rebuild in the army and a somewhat less than pampered life in civilian hands (was an ex bush fire brigade vehicle). Still, a beautiful GPW and well worthy of conservation or (likely i fear) restoration.

Please click on the link for the 80 odd photo's. http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... p?cat=4271

Below are a few teasers of the better/more informative parts of this jeep.

Cheers,
Ian.
Last edited by Ian Fawbert on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

Ian Mastin
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: GPW 246581. DOD 1-45. Bookham, NSW, Australia

Post by Ian Mastin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:32 am

Hi Ian,

Did this jeep have the First aid mounting bracket in it :?: I see it has 4 pan head screw's under the shipping data plate.

Cheers
Ian
MB 311192 ARN 157967
Gpw 161919
Aus Trailer No3a, 43
Aus Trailer No4, 45
41 Fordson WOT2-H
G506 Chevy

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:41 am

Hello Ian Thank you very much indeed for your
Fantastic set of photos. These are really help full for those of us who love to see close up detail of original fittings. However with this in mind. I would ask you to clarify something for me please. Your showing two photos of the shipping plate, but surely Ian the riveted plate is from a different jeeps dash? I'm taking it that the picture showing the plate with the correct screws is from 246581? Looking forward to your response mate :)
regards Nick
ps Can you remember if any of the seal strip in the locker lids remained? If yes did did you notice anything about the strip?

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks guys!

Hi Ian, not sure mate, in light of my comments below re the wrong photo. However, in the photo in question, I assume so given the screws go into captive nuts on the bracket it would be there, but didn't look sorry- this photo was of a late 44 GPW I believe, possibly GPW 227166, DOD 11/2/1944

Nick... well I`m sprung!!! I hadn't picked up that there were 2 pics of the shipping plate in the batch of photos. I believe this photo might be from a 44 GPW (as above- 227166) which was also there too- very very rough jeep! That said, the photo (which I will delete from the album) with the rivets is NOT this 45 GPW.

I realise I didn't get more overall shots, however I often avoid them as they don't show the detail I am seeking but are always 'nice' to see.

Cheers,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:36 am

Ian
Thanks for clearing that up :) I figured that was most likely to be the case, seeing that both jeeps stood side by side. Just going back to the pictures .You asked about the star washers on the wing /fender bolts. In my opinion(whats on my 45's) they are star washers on both front and back. The air filter brackets also has a star washer. :) Also all of the other pictures show correct style machine screw heads. Regarding rivets on the shipping plate I put that down to 'artistic licence' :) by someone later on in that jeep life.
regards Nick

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”