My Farther's Birthday soon. Need some advice

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
G13C
G-Private
G-Private
My Farther's Birthday soon. Need some advice

Post by G13C » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I want to start with the fact i have no clue about military jeeps or the military life s i'm not going to act like i do, so please bare with me. On the other hand my farther is Ex-military living a nice retired life. He loves working on motors and doing a little D.I.Y around the house, he loves working. It is his birthday coming up soon and i want to get him a new project to work on, and a jeep is the way forward. But this is where you guys come in. I'm looking for a mid 1900s Army Jeep for sale that has had better days, rusting, Does not start, basically something he can work on fr the next year. And what kind of price should i be looking at to buy an old army jeep?

JEEP

Looking forward to speaking to everyone!
Last edited by G13C on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: My Farther's Birthday soon. Need some advice

Post by Ian Fawbert » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi,
Great idea!!!

My advice is get the most complete and best vehicle you can for your $... However you then should consider something. A lot of new comers aim for that and succeed but in doing so, some find a vehicle which is better preserved than restored. Please, you and your dad need to consider that. He would likely enjoy more a piece of original history, maintaining, researching it and fixing and driving it if such a jeep is found than restoring it. The original unrestored ones bring more $ in the long run due to their rarity- lots of restored ones, lots of unrestored partially complete wrecks... Only a few original unrestored driveable runners!!

If he'd want something that looks a ww2 jeep it can be made for a smaller cost (use repro or similar/not period correct parts) compared to an original parts, factory correct restored jeep. Maybe consider what he would want too, given he'd be putting the money in to fix it I guess. That could dictate what you buy at first- a rolling chassis with drivetrain would be cheaper to buy, then add a repro body and the bits and he'd be up and going sooner. Or, if he'd want an original correct, made of original bits correct for the serial number and model of jeep, that'll take longer and generally cost much more- hence my comment re get the most complete, best one you can!

Anyway, my opinion and thoughts on it. Good luck with your great idea for a project. I've no idea of US, UK or euro prices, but a good idea of those in Australia! It would help others if you shared where you are!

Cheers, Ian.

Edit for typos from typing on my phone!!! A
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by macaddict23 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:51 pm

"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

3.6rs
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by 3.6rs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:54 pm

..." I'm looking for a mid 19th Century Army Jeep for sale"...

This will be hard to find !
I don't think I've ever seen a Jeep of the 1850's !

gpw6335
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by gpw6335 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:01 am

Try your local Craigs List under cars and trucks MILITARY depending on what part of the US your located jeeps may be easily obtained. Don.t buy a rust bucket you will be sorry.
1943 GPW 103951
1951 M38 27714
1952 M38a1 28888
1969 M274A5
1972 M151A2
1943 MBT
1951 M100
1979 M416
1962 M37B1

G13C
G-Private
G-Private

Post by G13C » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:09 pm

I like the idea of the preserved Jeep's but that is something i will have to pull up in conversation with him, see what he thinks. And a very good point on the cost of parts and the length my Farther could be waiting to get parts. Looks like i will have to spend the next few hours on google and see what i can find out. Also this link http://www.classicmilitaryautomotive.co ... ers-guide/ is great, loads of information.

My bad on the 19th Century.... 1900s :lol: And point noted! stay away from rust buckets.

Thanks guys got loads of research to do i will be back soon.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”