44 MB firewall... unrestored! Painting order details et al

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

44 MB firewall... unrestored! Painting order details et al

Post by Ian Fawbert » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:13 am

Hi all,

I dug this out of the shed the other day for a fellow who wanted it as a pattern for a rock crawler type jeep- free and freely it went to him (he didnt want to use original metal in his build,only wanting patterns!). No idea where it came from, but it had been thoroughly stripped bare except 3 dash pad screws and the dash J hook (which went with it as I couldn't dislodge it!!!).

Anyway, I spent a while looking it over and photographing (using detective/knowledge to date it as 44) as there is ALOT of info to be gained from parts like this, such as parts fitted and fitment order related to when tub was painted red oxide/OD or following coats of OD. Great info for those who strive for correct jeeps like they left the factory.

It has no tub number (I assume it was cut off for use on a repro tub). Please note my mislabeled steering column floor seal hole- I called it dimmer switch hole

Please see the photos below.I have added text to the photos to highlight the relevant painting/parts related info for your information/assistance. It is a good reference re when parts were fitted in what order after the tub was painted red oxide. Some of what is seen, challenges what is generally thought about with painting and fitting parts!

Sorry these 3 are upside down, but it was the easiest/best way to photograph and edit it.

Fender mount to tub edge

Light switch detail

Dash details:

Fire extinguisher fitment details

Floor seal details (mislabeled the STEERING COLUMN HOLE as dimmer switch hole sorry)

2x random things. One great to see, the other intriguing!

Cheers,
Ian.
Last edited by Ian Fawbert on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

Bill M
MechTech

Re: 44 MB firewall... unrestored! Painting order details et

Post by Bill M » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:21 am

Thanks for the effort Ian. Superb detail as usual.
Do you know if the handbrake support bracket is bolted to the firewall? I am assuming that the composite tubs whether Ford or WO would have the same fixings at this time.
Referring to your photo below.
cheers
Bill.
IF pic.jpeg
IF pic.jpeg (135 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
Member of G503 since 1999

GPW-178721 Under restoration.

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi mate,

Glad you appreciate it- i really do enjoy documenting the small details. Perhaps for the first time on this firewall i have photographed and noted all the detail possible.... its only taken me 17 years of looking at jeeps to get there and this one isnt even complete!!!!! :D

Just to be certain, we are talking about the bracket which has 2 holes above/below the 'n' in 'Ian'? If so, it probably was bolted- looked as if bolts had been removed from that bracket. The mid 44 GPW firewall (ACM2 #84756) which I shall post pics of later has its bolts still- plain headed.

Sorry i cant be definite, but I believe they were based on evidence of this.

Cheers,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

Bill M
MechTech

Post by Bill M » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:32 pm