1944 MB 329051

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
claptonisgod
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

1944 MB 329051

Post by claptonisgod » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:21 pm

After a facelift and mechanical repairs on my 1947 CJ2A that I called a "restoration" while turning it into an MB clone, I decided it was time to get down to business and give a real MB a proper restoration. After several months of searching for a suitable candidate, I settled on the crusty example you see below. This jeep has quite the history: the person I bought it from had it sitting out in his yard for roughly forty years. He purchased it from someone else who used it for hauling firewood, and in the process they destroyed the body and scrapped it (which explains its obvious absence). I hope to now breathe new life and vitality into what's left, and resurrect MB329051. While the data plates are gone except for the frame, I've come up with the estimated date of delivery of 5/6/1944. I'm probably off by a few days, but it's a special date to me since it's a month before D-Day, and I'm going to run with it. While she may not look like much, I feel that I got a great deal and many usable parts. Here's a list of what I got: frame, both axles, steering box and column, both drive shafts, transfer case, GPW T84, shocks, springs, bell housing, pintle hook, bumperettes, front bumper, two CJ2A rims, a combat rim, battery tray and hold-downs, brake and clutch arms, and probably more that I'm forgetting. It was a long drive with a ramshackle U-Haul trailer, but I managed to get to the jeep, load her up, get home, and unload her without any major incidents. Now that I have a true MB, it's time to begin a real "body-off" ( :lol: ) restoration with my father. This will definitely be a long-term project, but I'll post updates and progress as it happens.

Photos from the original listing:

On the drive home (behind a newer and complete Jeep, of course!):
1944 MB
1947 CJ2A-MB
1994 M998A1

claptonisgod
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: 1944 MB 329051

Post by claptonisgod » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Since I've also done a decent amount of disassembly so far, now seems like a good time to add in my first progress post and pictures. Given how rusty everything is, I've been surprised by the relative ease with which I've been able to remove the majority of hardware I've attempted to free. I've hit a few bumps in the road, though: for example, for some reason some heads/nuts slip inside a seemingly perfectly fitting wrench - maybe they're actually metric? I also got wrench happy and tried to open up the top of the T84 and broke a head, so I'll have to address that eventually. Finally, in attempting to remove a shock mount cotter pin, the pin broke and became stuck despite every attempt to hit it out, leading me to attempt to drill out the hole; unfortunately, my angle was slightly off and so I'll probably need to replace the shock mount.

Those hiccups aside, I've been pleased with my progress. I got off all three wheels, the driver's side bumperette, removed the rear shocks, dropped the drive shaft from the rear axle in preparation for axle removal, removed the engine mounts, clutch pedal arm, and steering box. Once I get everything else off, it'll be off to the sandblaster and then time for frame repairs and mechanical rebuilds.

If she was an Army jeep, it seems like the hood number is likely in the 20508XXX range. However, I miraculously found MB329061 on the forum a few days before picking mine up, and her owner (in Scotland) still has a body and found a USMC hood number along with USA 2050833X. This odd shade of green on the back of my combat rim, along with the serial number proximity to potentially fall into an order, makes me wonder if perhaps mine was a USMC jeep as well? I tried sanding my bumperettes to find any markings, but sadly they're long gone.

And then a photo of how she sits after my recent wrench-turning:

Lastly, the frame tag:

A few issues concerning where I'm at now:
- I've removed the master cylinder/linkage and the cotter pin holding on the brake pedal arm, but the arm doesn't want to slide off. It moves back and forth freely, but I can't slide it off and tapping it with a piece of wood and a hammer was unsuccessful.
- I can't seem to find a wrench that will fit the long nuts on the leaf spring U-bolts (I've tried every Imperial wrench I have but none seem to fit - I'm guessing this is probably owing to how corroded the nuts are). I'll probably have to end up cutting the bolts.
- I'm having trouble taking out some of the nuts holding on the drive shaft U-bolts. When I manage to get a wrench around one of them (that is, if some kind of weird large one-piece washer with tabs on the sides of the nuts doesn't get in the way), I turn the entire drive shaft, not the nut. I haven't been able to figure out a way to immobilize the shaft so I can get the nuts off.
- The tire doesn't want to come off the combat rim. I tried using a hacksaw/jigsaw to cut through it down to the rim, but it won't let go. What's the best way to get an old crusty tire off a combat rim?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Otherwise, things are going relatively smoothly, and I'm looking forward to eventually getting a body kit and tracking down an engine. Looking forward to posting my progress over what I'm sure will end up being years.
Last edited by claptonisgod on Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1944 MB
1947 CJ2A-MB
1994 M998A1

claptonisgod
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by claptonisgod » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Well, I resolved a few of my issues and answered a few of my own questions - I guess that's a good sign for things to come in my restoration. Rather than cranking on my T84 with a 1/2" drive ratchet (I know, that's probably why I broke the first bolt), I went at it with a combination spanner and got the other three off no problem. I was then able to look inside the T84 (surprisingly nice given the rest of the jeep's condition), and also remove the remainder of the broken bolt with a pair of pliers. I also popped open the cover on the back of my transfer case, and was equally pleased with its condition. To immobilize the drive shaft to get the U-bolt nuts off, I simply wedged in a big wrench in the universal joint which stopped itself against the frame. From there getting the front shaft off was fairly easy, so my next move is to get the axles off. It's funny how quickly time flies on disassembly, but I'm sure I won't be saying the same when it's time to put it all back together.

I also found a few last little bits of the body hanging on where the fender to frame brackets were, so at least I have a few metal scraps and bolts for posterity.

Inside the T84. From what's visible, do the gears look like they might be worth keeping?

Next up, looking into the transfer case:

And finally, a surprise while examining the access cover bolts (I knew the T84 was GPW, but thought the transfer case might have still been original):
1944 MB
1947 CJ2A-MB
1994 M998A1

claptonisgod
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by claptonisgod » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Figured out some more solutions and bought a bolt extractor set - those things are lifesavers. Bumperettes and pintle (which turns out to be a nice Ford example) are off and disassembled mostly, and the front bumper is almost off except for two stubborn and horribly rusted bolts I'll need to break. Bubba, in his infinite wisdom, decided to first put the bumper on upside down and then secure it with eight small bolts instead of the standard four :? . The good news is the frame isn't bent and the gussets look to be in good shape. I have the front axle/spring assembly mostly off, but I'll probably have to cut all the U-bolts. I'm starting to get the suspicion that some of my stubborn hardware may have been metric, which, when paired with the Ford transmission/transfer case and pintle hook, makes me wonder if perhaps there was a European depot rebuild somewhere along the line.

Does anyone know of someone who might be able to rebuild the upper half of my pintle hook (I'd mail it anywhere as long as I knew it'd be coming back, obviously)?

Pintle hook F mark. I think I'll probably stick with it and the transmission/transfer case, since while they aren't correct they've been together this long and who am I to break them up now?

Transmission crossmember is pretty much shot but came off easily enough:

Steering box was worse inside than I'd hoped, don't know if it'll be worth reusing but I'd like to if possible. Steering column doesn't appear to be original since it has no opening for the horn contact.

I know it's not much to look at yet, but I hope my meandering journey through MB restoration is somewhat interesting.
1944 MB
1947 CJ2A-MB
1994 M998A1

Einar
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Einar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:41 am

Claptonisgod,

Exiting Project :)
Salad jeeps were ment to be. Field repairs and postwar rebuilt prosesses make sure of that.
Many of us struggle to bring our back to factory condition. Sometimes I wonder why. We will never find the parts that actual once were there :lol:
And whom of us know of all the part that were supplied between the Overland and Ford factories during WWII :P

Good luck with your restoration!

Best regards
Einar
Willys MB 1944
WIllys MB 1945
Willys MBT 1943
Bantam T3 1943
(preserved and unrestored)

claptonisgod
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by claptonisgod » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I know my "jeep" is but a skeleton compared to your beautiful specimens, but this one was crying out to me to save it.

Frame is now almost entirely disassembled, with the exception of the battery hold downs, front bumper, and the pedal shaft, which seems to be frozen and immune to tapping.

I opened up the cover on my front axle, and was startled to see it was in like-new condition inside. It honestly felt like opening a time machine. I was also startled to see many more Fs. I haven't inspected the rear axle yet, but it's looking like it may be possible that all the running gear is Ford?? I really have no clue how that happened; too bad my MB (if I can still call it that) can't talk. I'll examine the rear axle more closely and open it up when I remember to bring a container for the oil that seeps out of the shaft joint.

Going to pick up some supplies soon and attempt a little electrolysis, maybe I'll be able to clean up my small parts and restore function on my pintle hook. Will post updates if it works.

Left rear spring seen in this photo is now off:

No clue why the differential is so nice, must've had a really good seal:

Henry Ford would be proud:
1944 MB
1947 CJ2A-MB
1994 M998A1

S McIlwaine
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by S McIlwaine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I see you like a challenge that is definitely a ground up restoration.

Axles may have been rebuilt a some stage too didn't think those wired bolts were standard fitment. May be a Ford thing but my Aug 44 MB didn't have them.

As for removing tires if you haven't already tackled that one start with a good strong serrated knife and cut round the side wall first both sides you might find a metal bead lock rim band in there but it will be tight to the rim if it is. Once outer tire removed cut in carefully in at one point till you find the metal strands cut the rubber away as much as you can to expose the wires that form the bead. Cut them with fine grinder or saw at one point one wire at a time (don't get rash or you'll nick the rim) then try and unwind them remainder from around the rim. Then soak well in penetrating oil to start to free up the two halves.
Do not I repeat do not try and separate the two halves by over inflating with the nuts removed if your tire does hold air. I was stupid enough to try that once the wheel leaped out of my grasp and just missed my head by mm's and it had been well secured on it's flat on the ground.

Enjoy the build / resteration :lol:
Just another UK jeep lover

S McIlwaine

Post by S McIlwaine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I see you like a challenge that is definitely a ground up restoration.

Axles may have been rebuilt a some stage too didn't think those wired bolts were standard fitment. May be a Ford thing but my Aug 44 MB didn't have them.

As for removing tires if you haven't already tackled that one start with a good strong serrated knife and cut round the side wall first both sides you might find a metal bead lock rim band in there but it will be tight to the rim if it is. Once outer tire removed cut in carefully in at one point till you find the metal strands cut the rubber away as much as you can to expose the wires that form the bead. Cut them with fine grinder or saw at one point one wire at a time (don't get rash or you'll nick the rim) then try and unwind them remainder from around the rim. Then soak well in penetrating oil to start to free up the two halves.
Do not I repeat do not try and separate the two halves by over inflating with the nuts removed if your tire does hold air. I was stupid enough to try that once the wheel leaped out of my grasp and just missed my head by mm's and it had been well secured on it's flat on the ground.

Enjoy the build / resteration :lol:
Just another UK jeep lover

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”