1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: 1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

Post by cevensky » Fri May 22, 2015 2:15 pm

So here's where I am now (yes I know the transmission housing needs to be grey, I will fix that). The spring for the shift crane needs replacing but I can't get the cap to unscrew because my large pipe wrench is missing. I guess the engine is going off soon. What should I do next other than sending the engine away to get better?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat May 23, 2015 8:38 am

Engine, bellhousing and T-84 are GREY....the T/C is OD. Check jeepdraw COLORS for much valuable info!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Sat May 23, 2015 4:22 pm

I have checked this. The engine will be done grey as well. However, as you can clearly see in the above pictures, the bell housing was originally OD, so I don't see why I should go changing that.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat May 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Because if it is a GPW bellhousing it came on your jeep from the factory painted the same color as the motor and T84 it was bolted to. Once the jeep arrived in gov't hands they only had OD paint and did not have the grey paint Ford used. Any and all subsequent painting in an overhaul or rebuild facility would be OD, including the T84 and the motor.

If your jeep is to be portrayed as a recently overhauled jeep during WWII then paint the motor, bellhousing and T84 in OD....if it is supposed to resemble what the factory painted things then why not paint the motor, bellhousing and T84 the GREY that Ford used?

There is no way to determine when or who painted that bellhousing OD....during WWII or in 1969 or whenever....Your motor is painted RED but you are going with GREY I think because that's how they came from the factory....why not paint the bellhousing the same grey that it came with from the Ford factory?

Just sayin'....
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

Niblet
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Niblet » Sat May 23, 2015 7:06 pm

cevensky wrote:I have checked this. The engine will be done grey as well. However, as you can clearly see in the above pictures, the bell housing was originally OD, so I don't see why I should go changing that.
Chuck why bother,,"clearly" even 10 minutes of research would have told a guy what the original color of the bell housing was,and why one would change the color,,,,,it just boils down to what type of resto one is doing,,,
on the cheap,,,,or back to original specs,,,many differences in between
1945 Willys MB
DOD 3-10-45
HN 20691353
SN 424804
My Restoration thread <a href=http://g503.com/forums/viewtopi ... >Here</a>

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks Chuck for your comments and explanation, I've thought a lot about it, I just couldn't find any paint under that one coat of OD. It was puzzling. Everything else was painted red that had been repainted in the 70s. Due to your thoughtful and helpful input, I probably will go with grey now!

Niblet: your comment is useless and condescending and I don't appreciate it because I'm trying to do it on the cheap and as originally as possible because I'm only 19 and have extremely limited funding. Paint is not a deciding factor in cost though. And I have done lots of research, thank you.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun May 24, 2015 5:10 pm

You have a really NICE jeep to start with....and those here will try to help you with the CORRECT pointers to get 'er back to factory spec if you are into that...or to a first class motorpool class condition.

You have the advantage of what others have researched/discovered/found out over the years just like we did when we started on projects....always ask when you are stumped or just can't find stuff out....learn to use the search function and check jeepdraw and between all that you will end up making the right choices on your restoration for the right reasons...and as an old timer her says...

"it's your jeep!"
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Sun May 24, 2015 6:03 pm

I love the mentality of "it's your jeep" and it's something I'm sticking to, but I wouldn't make posts here if I weren't looking for input, which is another thing this hobby is great about: people are always willing to help.
I didn't mean to make my OD decision sound final at all, it was just what I was going with at the time. In my mind it sounded kind of open ended, but things tend to carry differently in text!
I'm trying to do things as correctly as my budget allows for now; I fully anticipate to do another restoration when I've had a career for a while (and money saved) like the majority of you.
I'll keep asking questions here and posting progress, I know I like seeing what others are doing almost as much as making my own progress!
Thanks to all of you who have so far contributed... positively, that is.

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Mon May 25, 2015 3:02 pm

A good Memorial Day to you all, no better way to spend it than to do a little work. Went to advance auto parts and got the new ford grey as per something I read here on the forum. Looks good:
Next is replacing the spring for the shift lever, but my pipe wrench has been taken... Any suggestions on how do unscrew the top?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue May 26, 2015 1:56 pm

It's ugly, but it works....just get a big screwdriver and a mallet and set the screwdriver into one set of the "teeth" on the edge of the cap and give 'er a whack. Rotate around to another set of "teeth" and repeat....that should break it loose so you can unscrew it. If you ding up the "teeth" you can dress that with a file before painting it later on. (PS... the T84 and T/C shift canes are OD!)
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:16 pm

I had to push everything out of the garage today to sweep two inches of water out... I think we got over 3" of rain in about six hours.. It's killing me and it's gross when it collects in the garage with all the dirt and grease. I did get a picture out in the sun though!

I also got an electric impact wrench and all of my suspension is firmly on (minus the rear right spring which has a shackle hanger nut stuck in it, to be fixed later). The rear propeller shaft and the e-brake drum went on as well.

I'm on a waiting list for a script tub from Ron, and I'll order my new fuel tank and driver's seat, at least, while I'm having that big crate shipped.
Next Thursday I'll be dropping off the engine to a fellow forum member if it all goes to plan and I'll pick it up early August. It should all come together pretty quickly after that depending on when the tub arrives! And I guess it depends on my starter and generator working... the generator has no plates, but someone said it looked like a 6v so I'm hoping they're both 6v.
Basically, over the next month I'll be spending all of my money and it should be pretty exciting!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:59 am

The genny is pretty easy to identify...take a pic or two of the front/rear/middle of it and list the casting numbers on the pulley, drive head (front) and commutator head (rear) and we can ID it for you. I think GPW-17405 may be too early for the FORD made genny, but it is also probably too late for the Autolite GEG-5001A genny.....I'd zero in on a GEG-5002D genny for this one though...

A few pics of the starter housing casting numbers, the FRONT commutator head and the body of the starter will probably make the ID of it easy as well. However, look on the body for any stampings a rebuilder MIGHT have put on it, including maybe a "12V" one that would indicate it was rebuilt as a 12 volt. It is not necessary to rewire a 6V starter to use in a 12V system...so I'm of the opinion that if is appears to be a standard MZ-4113 type (or Ford) it would be more likely to still be a 6V setup.p

PS...from your pics, the starter looks to be correct but the genny doesn't....
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks for all your help Chuck!
I did a little scraping today on the generator, and I found: FoMoCo. I'm still laughing at that abbreviation, not sure why.
Here's a picture of it and here's the starter, guessing it's 6v if the original generator is there (unless ford made 12v gennys during the war?):

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:29 am

The genny is of course a postwar variety.

The starter looks OK except a WWII MZ-4113 has an oiler opening on the end of the commutator head. I think this one has been overhauled and that part replaced perhaps.It isn't a deal killer unless you are having it judged so if it works OK it's a keeper.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:52 am

I figured since you said it looked incorrect it wouldn't be war time.. Still had a good chuckle and it's still Ford made.
Just as long as it all works together; I don't need it ready to win any awards, just drive.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”