1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the owners' club, but I've been lurking on the gee for quite a while. I started wanting one of these several months ago and since then I've been reading and learning all I can.
The nail in my OD coffin was a jeep ride I got in the beginning of this June from a Belgian friend (he may be on here) in his original '44 GPW--through the hedgerows of Normandy during the 70th anniversary of D-Day!
Right after that experience I decided not to let another one pass me by and wanted to seal the deal on the one I'd been looking at. I called my parents back in the states and asked if they would pick up GPW #17405 in Houston on their way back home from San Antonio. They said yes, I told them where my cash was, 15 minutes later the deal was done, and 2 hours after I got back from France I had no cash and a jeep in the driveway :lol: I have very very nice and supportive parents
It doesn't run, but hopefully it won't be the most difficult thing to make happen.
The engine has the original F stamped head.. not sure about the components around it.
The transmission is a T-90 with a modified crossmember.. at least the floor didn't suffer!
The date of delivery is 4-21-42 and I have the original data plate. The frame and engine number are also 17405. Fair amount of "F" marked parts (minus bolts...)
There is a fair amount of bondo, but so far the metal underneath isn't terribly rust, just not straight.
The frame has surface rust, but underneath some of the grime and superficial rust it has a beautiful coat of original OD, all it takes is a scrape with a stick.
It's hard to work outside in the garage at my parents' office at anytime during the summer because of the 98% humidity & 100°F heat in Northwest Louisiana.
I'm going off to college in a month (I'm 18) so I won't have easy access to work, but hopefully I'll be able to show progress at each break I get.
There's a floor over the floor I plan to remove tomorrow. Fingers crossed it isn't too bad.
Front two seats are F marked on the back and have the original canvas hanging on.
Unfortunately the remaining glass broke in transport. I'd like to know what the four holes for on the main panel of the windshield frame.

SteelSoldier
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: 1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

Post by SteelSoldier » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 pm

You're one lucky college kid. Early 42 Script? Matching? Wow! Congrats!

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks! I'm really excited. It'll keep me busy for lots of summers (and winter breaks, thanksgivings, etc) to come. I'm friends with a veteran down the street (and others around town) who has a dream to ride in one of these again. I want to get mine running in time, but just in case I'm going to ask some others in town who own G503s that work.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:31 am

You are on a roll now....matching data plate serial number, frame number and motor number!

Now if you can get lucky one more time....you have both sides of the hood and the tub rear panel to check for the USA number. Try wet-sanding by hand in other locations to learn what colors and how many coats of paint are on the jeep....then CAREFULLY sand to reveal what may still be under several coats of paint....use tracing paper to continually update what is revealed as it will often be so thin you will lose the USA number as you continue to reveal other numbers.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks, Chuck. I just bought some nice flexible sand paper. I have a bad feeling the hood has been sanded (not completely though) but I'm going to try all three locations tonight. I worked on it this morning removing the front floor and panel that covered the "d" in "Ford"
It was rainy and overcast but the sun came out and I had to go!
The floor on top of the original one had about gallon of fine, dry dirt under it and I was worried I would find a rust pit under that but the floor looks good!
The script on the back of the tub is also largely undamaged. I'll get my dremel out and make it nice and pretty in the future.
This heat is killer though. Progress may be slow until Thanksgiving and Winter breaks!
ImageImage

SteelSoldier
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by SteelSoldier » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 pm

When sanding, do a test spot anywhere on top of the hood just to see how many layers of paint until you get to the original OD. I'd try several spots, varying the degree of pressure when sanding. Then when you're ready to sand the side of the hood, start at the front, closest to the hood latches. All numbers start with 20, so you at least get two chances to screw it up. :-)

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:19 pm

You will be looking for hood number 20103245. The underlined digits is the estimated portion.

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks Tom, I think I might have seen a part of a 3 but there isn't much original paint left on the hood and it looks like the whole thing was painted a light blue at some point so it's hard to tell what's what. Checking the rear panel tomorrow.
(I also found today that the rear frame rails that go out to the pintle hook's plate have been cut off...)
I'd like to get the tub off next which I know how to do... But I cannot get the steering wheel off. Any trick to this?

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Fortyeight2A » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Those four holes in the windshield skin are so you know Bubba had his hands on your jeep (as if you couldn't tell by the extra floor and the panel covering the "d" in "Ford" [thoughtfully welded on, so the body is effectively welded to the frame] and the extra rear frame... "improvements"). :D Oh, BTW, did Bubba braze the front fenders to the grill as he usually does? Both of the flatfenders I've owned were done that way...
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:54 am

Ok thanks for the answer, I've seen the same ones on lots of other windshields in the same position. I still wonder why...
The fenders and grill are totally separate and solid, the fenders have a nice big F on top too

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:12 am

Congrats on getting this. I'd been watching it on Craigslist for the past several months and thought it was a really good deal for the price, especially since it's numbers matching.

One bit of advice for what it's worth:

Have your engine boiled out and magnafluxed. If you're really lucky, there won't be any cracks in the block and you'll be able to machine and rebuild it. But if there are any cracks, do not be tempted to toss the block. The value of having the original block is immeasurable. If the cost of having the cracks fixed at this time is too high for you and you end up putting another engine in to get you on the road, be sure to preserve the original block for future use.

Enjoy.

John

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:07 pm

The heat here makes it too difficult to work in the summer. The next cool(ish) day we have I'm determined to get the tub off no matter what before I leave. I've hit some speed bumps..
I'll be praying over that original block until it's ready to be gone through. I don't have the money to buy another OR fix cracks
I already have to get a T84 for it anyways!

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Cevensky,

Congratulations on a rare find! Matching numbers GPW. I personally have never seen a frame stamp without the stars on the side of the serial number. That is interesting. Very glad to see you have a solid floor and a 6 volt generator. I hear you about the heat. I live in Magnolia north of Houston and I had to get an AC put in the garage to do the project. The jeep was in Houston?

You know what is funny is how I got the jeep bug: I was visiting Normandy for the first time in 2010 and did not plan it, but it ended up being the week of the D Day festivities; reenactors and jeeps all over the place. Within a month of getting back I found the GPW on ebay and had it shipped from Iowa.

Check out my thread and see the before and after pictures. I took lots and lots of photos and hopefully they will be useful to you for your project. Looking forward to see your progress.

pcas1944
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by pcas1944 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:26 am

Great find! Mine has matching frame and body, and at least a GPW engine. I'm in the DFW area and though I don't have the humidity of the Gulf to deal with, I still got the heat. A big fan and open doors, seems to due the trick in the shop. Been working on it through the heat of the summer, want to get it done as quickly as possible.

Good luck in college!
Paul
1943 Ford GPW 131117 (Restored):
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=239403

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:59 pm

First semester done and I'm back with good weather. I worked on budgeting and getting together parts lists while I was away. Today the body and frame came apart and tomorrow the engine and everything will come off the frame and it will be taken to a machine shop. I cleaned the frame a little with the wire cup, it's virtually rust free and still has a lot of OD-pretty lucky!
Sometime this week everything will go to the sandblaster. Pictures coming soon

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”