1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: 1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

Post by cevensky » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Thought these were supposed to be brass, so I didn't know if they were original to my tub. To my surprise both catches were F marked. Very nice. Got an alternator wired in and now I need a new fan blade before my radiator goes back on... hopefully less leaky than last time.
ImageImage

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Took it on a drive for the very first time a couple nights ago!
Have a few issues with the lights: need a new brake light switch, my tail lights don't all come on at the same time, and my headlights just won't work... wondering if my ammeter is wired wrong.
Other than that I've got some blue drab on the way and new market light bulbs, but most importantly a new production starter because mine is out of commission.

lowbonnet
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lowbonnet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:32 am

looking very good!
I have a Ford script myself and I noticed a few things on your script.
I am sure you are aware of some or all the things I mention and you have your reasons for doing so, I don't want to criticize you. I just want to give some advice here and there.

- What happened to the original body? Are you saving it for future repairs and then put it back on the GPW? To me it looked not that bad.
- the felt grommets on the firewall should be made of rubber. Only later productions did have felt grommets. Most parts that later were replaced by felt or canvas was in the early days made by rubber.
Have a look at the French guy (also g503 member) who did an excellent restoration on his early GPW: http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dl ... CB34}&nt=g. It helped me a lot during my restoration.
- Just for your interest the grey color of the early Fords were the darker color, as seen on the Ford 9N and 2N tractors the Ford GP. I am not sure what the date to the lighter Ford grey was. Somewhere mid 1942 I have red somewhere.

Good luck!
June 1942 Ford GPW (script)
Transportation Equipment Co. T1, 1/4 ton trailer

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:56 am

Lowbonnet,
Thanks for the kind words and pointers. These are all things I did with forethought and a clear conscience.
The original body is sitting in my garage waiting for its day in the sun. It has a lot of bondo on it and the tool boxes are toast as is the entire floor and a fair amount of the side panel in the front. The new body was much cheaper and let me have a jeep on the road before I had kids!
The felt was put on because it was what was in stock. I like the look but eventually I can change them out with no problem.
As for the engine color, I've never read anything definitive on the grey. Many people seem to think this new Ford grey is good, and beyond being good it was readily available and cheap—a theme amongst my decisions in my restoration because of my aforementioned restrictions.
For everything a little off, just know I'm only 20 and I have many years ahead to get it all right!
Thanks again

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:21 pm

cevensky wrote:Lowbonnet,
just know I'm only 20 and I have many years ahead to get it all right!
Didn't realize you were so young. It's nice to see another 20 somethin' in the hobby (I'm 27 and started my GPW project when I was 23)! You're doing an awesome job so keep up the good work!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 pm

I started mine when I was 18 and finished most of it before my last birthday. The real waiting comes with being away at school for so much of the year... and waiting for money. Thanks!!

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 pm

I've stenciled the hood star and registration numbers. I'll get the front end tomorrow when I get it in the sunlight... doesn't show in photos otherwise.
Also got my marker lights in. They work, but the headlights still don't so I'll have to start troubleshooting. Any pointers welcome!
ImageImageImage

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

Post by cevensky » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Ok so three problems now, listed in order of importance.

1. My transfercase/transmission is very touchy. It takes quite a bit of shifting randomly at the transfercase to get the jeep to move. It has no certain formula. It's very strange. (Doesn't move in 2WD and High Range at the moment...)

2. Difficulty keeping a fuel supply going but that may be I just need to fill the tank a lot more. There's only about two inches or slightly more of gas in it right now.

3. The darned headlights.

It goes though!!
(And I've taken care of that white overspray)

https://vimeo.com/175489219

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:46 pm

This might be a rather straightforward response, but in regards to your headlights, are they two filament, or one? Make sure the floor dimmer switch isn't pressed if they are a single filament...I did that with mine after I got it wired up and spent quite a bit of time scratching my head trying to figure it out, especially since a multimeter showed the ground was good (which you should also check if you haven't already). Double check the push/pull switch, too, as it's easy to mix up wires there as well.

In terms of your transfercase, I've noticed on my own that if the jeep isn't sitting at the right spot, the transmission or the transfercase won't smoothly, it at all, fall into gear. If I'm on a slight hill, I can usually let it drift back a few inches and the gears will align and it pops right into place. If you're on level ground, give the jeep a slight push forward and try again.

Lastly with the fuel, I had issues with my fuel pump initially, as I was using an old glass bowl CJ jump...it worked when I first got my jeep running again, then gradually struggled to pump enough fuel to the carb. Needless to say, a new original style pump solved that problem. My second problem then was with the fuel strainer on the firewall. I wasn't getting a good seal and ended up getting air into the lines. I kept the strainer there, and "hooked up" for looks, but ended up bypassing it was an inline filer out of the tank...problem solved again.

Again, these answers might be too simple, but sometimes the simple things cause the largest headaches!
Sean

MVPA
AOPA

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Twinflyer, thanks for the pointers. I would guess the bulbs are two filament, I got them from Ron. I have a foot dimmer switch that's old and operationally I don't know that it works... one possible culprit. I was going to check the switch but I'm a bit sour with it right now because it gave me a nasty shock when I was pushing a fallen wire up under the dash recently.
For fuel, I've got new gaskets and all that jazz and I've checked the lines. Today I'm going to try filling my gas tank considerably for the first time and see if that makes a difference. I think that may be the simple fix I need.
I'll try pushing the jeep around a few inches back and forth in gear as well!

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:28 am

I understand the feeling of getting shocked...I had mine running a few weeks ago to adjust the carb and accidentally touched the "rain hats" on the spark plugs. Needless to say they bite me pretty good. It took doing it again within a few shorts minutes to finally learn to stay away. Since then, I want nothing to do with anything electrical, especially when its running and the battery is hooked up :o

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcomes of everything!
Sean

MVPA
AOPA

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Got the thing to move in reverse pretty well... I think it might have been in 4WD and also got it to go in 1st. But that was only with the engine revved up a ridiculous amount. The prop shaft spins but the jeep doesn't move... is my rear differential toast??

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Figured it out.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:57 am

Ouch. That'll do it!