Project "Bam Bam"

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Project "Bam Bam"

Post by jpet » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:53 am

1943gpw wc53 wrote:?.......Hey did you ever make some top bows or will you do those later?
. I have made a fixture for bending top bows. I'll bring you some in CO. Hey didn't I see in your pics that one or more of your jeeps has bows? What is the inside radius of them?
F Bill wrote:You need to modify that first picture in the thread and remove that ax murderer guy standing to your right.. He is just plain scary looking! .....
Hey, don't be talking about my friend like that! :lol: That guy gives me combat wheels :D
....I see Ron has the Gussets on sale for $15 apiece.. He is probably selling them all off before jpet corners the market on frame repair parts... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope not. I'm not going to start producing them, especially since like you said, you can buy them from Ron Fitzpatrick for $15. I'm just having some fun. I don't like producing parts to sell unless it is a part that nobody else makes. CJ bows, canvas window frames, stuff like that.
MB 434418
MB 295645

1943gpw wc53
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 1943gpw wc53 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Easy came with top bows when I bought him, but they are from an m38/A1 so they don't work :roll:

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:36 am

MB 434418
MB 295645

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Front bumper:

12 gauge steel. For this bad boy, I had to get some help.

drill holes....

.... then I made a fixture to put bend the bevels on the ends:

now I have what I need to align and attach the front gussets. Now before you say it... yes, I do know that you can buy this bumper from Ron for 60 bucks. :D Probably would be the smart thing to do but not on this project.

For the dimensions, I used a drawing of a CJ2A bumper from the 2A page except, the material thickness is 12 gauge, the flanges are 1-1/2" wide, and omit all the holes in the face other than the crank hole.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/front ... html#45820

Looks like I screwed up. I'll have to weld up those two 1/2" holes I put in the face :oops:
MB 434418
MB 295645

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:19 am

Test fit of the new front end:

MB 434418
MB 295645

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Outstanding work

pj128

Post by pj128 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 pm

I wish you were my neighbor 8)
Phil

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Rivets:

I made a tool to squeeze the rivets using the guys from Iceland posted.

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=177497

In Viking's example, they are doing GPW rivets. The MB rivets are not as easy to do because they are harder to get to. The frame is boxed in at the frame horns where a GPW is not. Anywho ....

I used a similar design but I had to make the throat bigger and the "C" clamp narrower in some areas so that it could get to all the rivets. This one has to reach 4" where Viking's reaches in 3" This one is not as strong, but I had no choice given the areas I had to reach.

Anvil:

This material is 1" thick but I added some reinforcement where I thought it might be week.

I used a 10 ton porta-power to do the squeezing:

I could not buy rivets that matched the head on my MB so I made some that look correct to me:

As you can see, the MB rivets are harder to get to than the GPW in Viking's video:

In fact, If you look at the above photo, you will see I had to cut some more out of the "C" clamp with a torch.

But ..... I think they turned out ok:

Not saying that they are correct, Just saying that they look like the other rivets in the frame:

A few blemishes but the rivets that were in the frame weren't perfect either.

Anywho, I'm not trying to fool anyone, They are what they are.

I did not post all of the failures but I did them similar to Viking's video. This was a two man operation. We heated them up till they glowed darn near yellow, Then guy 1 dropped the rivet in the hole while guy 2 quickly put the clamp into position. Guy one worked the pump. We had a couple bad ones but the more we did, the better we got and at the end, we had no problem with the process. Just have to be fast. I found that leaving 3/8" excess rivet gave me the look you see in my pics. As I said earlier, this "C" clamp is not as strong but I had no problem as long as we were fast. Once again .... spent all day on the jig and a couple hours installing rivets. :D I need to make another anvil to do the flat rivets in the rear but now my confidence is high. Thanks to Viking27 and the guys who participated in the video and thread!
MB 434418
MB 295645

Ray Fernandez
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Ray Fernandez » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 am

Super nice work Jeff. Hey, are we going to see this project in rolling/running form at the Fall Colors run this year?????

Ray

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:38 am

Fantastic work mate, it was a lucky day for "Bam Bam" when you came along, looking forward to the rest of this, will be watching closely.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 am

Ray Fernandez wrote:Super nice work Jeff. Hey, are we going to see this project in rolling/running form at the Fall Colors run this year?????
At the rate I'm going, maybe not. Even if I pushed it to get finished, I'd hate take an unproven jeep out there, have a break down and end up a passenger for the week when Gen'l Willys has already proven himself. We shall see.
MB 434418
MB 295645

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm

II haven't posted recently because all I've been doing is some boring cleaning :? .... but for the record, Bam Bam's frame is ready for the sand blaster along with the combat wheels. Once again, GW and Shadow are doing their part for the project:

... I have just been disassembling the axles for now. I want to take it all to the sand blaser at once.

Pressed out the seals and races:

found some nice OD paint.

Rear axle:

Looks like the wheel bearing inner races have been spinning on the spindles:

Popped the carrier out. The ring and pinion look good and it feels like the backlash is within .010 but I'll check it with an indicator when I reassemble it.

I'll have to rig up a tool to pull the inner seals. Can anyone tell me why those seals are necessary?

Notice the inside of the hogs head is painted. So is the carrier.

Anywho....

Gotta pull the seals and races for the pinion bearings then I can finish taking apart the front axle, and then I can take this all to the sand blaster...... and then I can really start spending the money :?

If anyone is keeping records, the assembly stamp date on both axles is 4-8-45:

Ill have to tell the sand blaster guy to stay clear of those. Sorry I did not take better pics. Kinda messy for a camera. When I put it back together, I will take more detailed pics and document it best that I can. I may have to take a break from Bam Bam to clean out the barn so I have room to work. :D

Thanks for reading :)
MB 434418
MB 295645

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 am

Sandblasted, primed and painted:

Gonna let this stuff set and cure for a while. Thanks for reading :)
MB 434418
MB 295645

1943gpw wc53

Post by 1943gpw wc53 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 am

Looking good Jeff!!! Will it be ready for the fall tour? Also what color paint did you use? I like it :)

jpet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jpet » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am

1943gpw wc53 wrote:Looking good Jeff!!! Will it be ready for the fall tour? ....
No it's not going to be ready and in fact, I am going to have to shelf this project for a little while so that I can get GW ready for the FCT. I still have to fix all the stuff I broke last year! :D
....Also what color paint did you use? I like it :)
It's 33070 I got it from Ron.
MB 434418
MB 295645

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”