Been a busy week, a trip to Sydney, and a major contract negotiation at work. Still managed to get some jobs done on the MB.
The five rims have been dropped into Colourex
to be paint striped, and then they will be off to Newway
to be re-spun. with my GPW project, I decided that straight rims was going to be better all round, than rims that had been driven hard over rocks and tree stumps, and were no longer round in shape. Four of the rims are Combats, while the fifth is a GMH trailer rim from WW2.
This morning, I took the five wheels I had mounted on the MB off and returned them to the GPW. the Frame is sitting up on Axle stands for now, while the strip down commences.
The previous owner had re-wired the vehicle with figure 8 white lamp cable. He must have knocked himself out with all the wires of the same colour through most of the vehicle. I have been cutting and removing as much if the old cabling as I can,Lots of bubba cablesTidied up and Starter removed
I posted a separate topic on the Rebuild Tag on the Engine. Looks like the engine was rebuilt on 23/8/1956 at P.J. Taylor's facility in Dubbo. P.J Taylor were one of the larger engine rebuild shops operating in NSW after the war. They advertised in the local newspapers for their five different locations. Rebuild Tag
It is just a matter to keep removing the old parts, throwing out the non-correct parts, and saving the originals. I have found a few EC bolts on the firewall that I have saved.Starting to look better
The front Axles are MB, with a few mods. At some point, the vents on the axles have been replaced with ventilation tubes. The idea was to make it less likely for water to enter the diffs when fords streams etc. The hubs are original, thoughh they are looking at bit worse for wear. I have no idea what the backing plates are going to look like until I drop the axles out from under the chassis.Nice orange Shock Absorbers!
The Front of the frame has suffered from the Bubba mods. The original bumper is long gone, as are the gussets. A trusty length of I Beam has been fitted in place. Lots of extra steel has been welded on.