Fat Albert's '43 MB 217048 Project Thread

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Fat Albert
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Fat Albert's '43 MB 217048 Project Thread

Post by Fat Albert » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Aaaaannnnnnddddd it begins! ... Again.... After a year of nothing.

So I finally got an hour or so to spend at the shop. Here is how my time went.

First off I am quite overwhelmed when I look in there and see all that junk and think "What am I going to do with it all?!"

Four wheeler don't run... It's in pieces too... Although not as many as my poor MB. At least it still rolls...
Or is supposed to. Two flats.

No problemo... I have an air compressor!

Next problem...tractor sitting in the way outside... WITH A FLAT!

Alright... Got that aired up and rolled out of the way. Next on the agenda is getting the frame MOBILE! I have read post after post where you guys are so happy to get your jeep back to a "rolling" chassis stage... Is this what you mean? :D
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=202295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm

With that accomplished I started with another flap disk... 36 grit this time! $1.99 at Tractor Supply! Unfortunately they only had one left. I'll take what I can get and see how long it lasts!

My brother-in-law said I would be better off knocking the top layer of rust off as much as possible with the grinder before sand blasting. Said it would save time and sand when I finally get to start that. Soooo... to flapping I went.

It actually didn't last long at all. Didn't even get one frame rail done before the grit was just about all are off the disc. Geez... I see why it was a buck ninety nine now!

So then I moved on to cutting a few rusted bolts off the tub tabs. (Probably not the correct name there... Forgive my ignorance) They were all pretty pitted up. Actually the whole frame is pitted up with rust. What if anything do I do about that? Is that going to effect the frame strength enough to cause problems? And if not do I need to putty them all up before I prime and paint? I certainly don't want to become a bondo king or anything! I remember seeing the gentleman overseas using lead and melting it into his holes and cracks. I wish I had that ability!

Anyways... Back to the tub tabs. They are all pretty rusted. One I know needs replacing...

Two were still straight and the hole was in good shape. But this one was all bent up and has small cracks. I tried to straighten it out and did a decent job of its but I'm just worried about the metal being too thin.

Another problem I had found before I quit working on the jeep last year...

The brake and clutch pivot arm that goes through the frame... It is flared out on the ends and I cannot get it out. Any suggestions short of cutting it off? I'd really like to take it off so I can clean up the inside grease cavity.

And also I left this goody on the frame last year... Imagine the rubber still being pliable and relatively not cracked after 70 years! I'm assuming this is original. Might not be.

Then before I rolled everything back inside I unloaded this toy...

It's so nice to have in laws who let me borrow such fun toys as these! Now I'm thinking of putting this...

In line with this...

That should get me up to 110 gallons of air or so. But the old 30 gallon compressor motor is just about on its last leg. I'm thinking I'll just use the tank for an extra inline tank. Do you think it would over work my 5 hp motor on the new tank? Hmmm... something to think about.

And I'll close with this last pic... This is my new buddy Cy. Sadly I had to put Bear down this past January. I'm just hoping this little guy will like my jeep project as much as Bear did! Cy is a bird dog but he still has not figured that out it looks like in this picture!

Ya'll have a great night! I'm off to peruse the threads and see what you guys have been up to!

Dutch
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=202295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Way to get back into it, Dutch! I use my old compressor, which is like from the 1950's, all day long sandblasting. It just keeps on going and going. I did lose a capacitor and I had to figure that out, however. She's fine now. It's has a massive five horse motor with a sixty gallon tank. Your sandblaster looks almost exactly like mine. I purchase mine back in about 1993. Wow, I can't believe it is that old and still blowing. I don't think you will have a problem other than I wish my sandblaster was about three times as big. It's funny, when I had a guy blast my frame, his sandblasting unit looked just like mine but probably held at least a yard of sand. It was like on steriods and was way taller than I. He blasted my frame in 45 minutes or so. It would take me at least three to four hours using my blaster to get my frame sandblasted. It's slow tedious work! I plan on blasting my tub myself, and I think I will see if I can rent "big" blaster. If not, I'll use mine, but it will take a long long time and a lot of coal slag. The guy that did my frame used sand. I left and went down the road. Didn't want to breath it. I don't use sand due to the high silica content.

Give my best to Cy. We had to put our 14 year old lab down about six months ago. Boy, that was tough, so I know what you went through. We still have George and Gracie our Vizslas. With all the kids gone, they are the kids now. :)

Keep the reports coming.

Take care,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:20 am

Hey Zeph... You mentioned using coal slag. Does that work in the same blaster with the same tip? I've heard several folks on here mention the silica... I've never dealt with it so I didn't know it was a problem.
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:48 am

Fat Albert wrote:Hey Zeph... You mentioned using coal slag. Does that work in the same blaster with the same tip? I've heard several folks on here mention the silica... I've never dealt with it so I didn't know it was a problem.
The silica comes from the fine dust created when using sand for sandblasting. I think if one has a full on self contained breathing apparatus they would be fine, but if not, and they breath it; it can cause Silicosis...a lung disease. :shock: I went all these years not smoking, so I figure I would do what I could to avoid breathing silica.

I use the Black Diamond media (coal slag) that is sold at Tractor Supply. You mentined that you picked up that flap disc there. They should have it. It is used exactly like sand. Just make sure you have your sifter to keep clogs to a minimum. Clogs will really slow you down. I still wear a full respirator under my hood. The Black Diamond says it is washed and has "low" free silica content. It probably doesn't work as well as regular sand, but I'm hoping it's a little safer to use. The problem I have now is that the Tractor Supplie stores here discontinued carrrying the "fine" girt that I used before. They will only carry the extra fine and the medium grit here on out. Medium won't sift and will clog. Extra fine is like blasting with baby powder. It will clog since it is so fine and really doesn't work well removing paint and rust in even worse. I am looking for an alternative now. There aren't many options. I may need to go to sand and pick up a high dollar breathing mask, or do it the old fashion way and source it out. :lol:
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

sawbuck
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sawbuck » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:33 pm

The company that made your 'san blaster' still exists and has a website for parts: www.tptools.com
I would keep an eye on the nozzle. If it is worn it will increase air consumption and wear the internal parts of the trigger.
You can buy different size tips to match the blast media and the compressor capacity.
I use the 'black beauty" slag media bought at the local auto parts or masonry supply. I blast on a tarp so I can collect, sift and re-use the media 2-3 times.
Bigger compressors equal more available air , faster working speed.

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm

zepher11 wrote: Give my best to Cy. We had to put our 14 year old lab down about six months ago. Boy, that was tough, so I know what you went through. We still have George and Gracie our Vizslas. With all the kids gone, they are the kids now. :) ,
Hey Zeph... I was looking back through your thread last night trying to catch up... ran across the pic of George and Gracie in their t-shirts! Loved it! I'm going to have to try and get Cy to wear a shirt! Haha!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Well I had an interesting day! I didn't get anything done on the jeep other than buy 250 pounds of sand in preparation for sandblasting some next week. I looked at the blast media at Tractor Supply and it was almost 3 times as expensive as the play sand at Home Depot. I've got to round up a mask before I use the sand though. But on to my story! One day earlier in the week I saw what I thought was a flat fender on a jeep parked behind a house as I was driving down the road. It's funny how my head swivels from side to side now looking for old jeeps tucked away in unlikely places! So I stop and have a look... unfortunately it was a chopped up 71 model jeep with homemade fenders instead of a dignified old soldier. Bummer. I talked with the owner... no I didn't just randomly walk I to someone's backyard! That's a good way to get shot around these parts! I told him what I thought I had saw in his "flat fender" jeep and he offered directions to an old WWII jeep he knew about down the road a piece. So today I finally had the chance to go see it. This time there was no mistaking the old gentlejeep resting peacefully under a shed. Nobody was home so I didn't want to trespass to look at it close or take pictures. Especially after I saw military stickers and a set of dog tags hanging in the truck parked nearby! So I go to the mailbox for a name and address in order to make contact... and lo and behold if it ain't a friend from school who I talk to off and on about his jeep projects! In fact he actually bought a couple of things off me last year when I was dismantling my MB! Too funny! I called him to let him know I'd just found his house. He has that one... a 43 GPW and a 51 m38 in the garage he's working on presently. He gets on here every now and then he says... so Bryan... If you read this, yes Fat Albert is me!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Something else that happened this week is I stopped by a jeep shop near here... they used to be a rock crawling chop shop but since have began to customize and sell tough looking jeeps. So I thought maybe they would have some old parts laying around or an old warrior stuck out back that needed rescuing from the chopping block. They didn't. But the owner called what turned out to be his ex wife who has what she said was a 41 willys with a 4 cyl. mustang motor in it. She says she wants $750... he curses her out and says she's crazy. (He was right in soooooo many ways) today I got the chance to go by and look at this old buggy. Turns out it is the same one someone tried to sell to me last year! What a mess it is! Take a look.

The frame is a jeep/pinto/mustang hybrid... or maybe Frankenstein would get a better description! It has racking pinion steering! Oh my what a death trap this poor thing has become. Bubba is demented in so many ways.
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Great to see you active again Dutch!

So sorry about Bear. That has to be tough.

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Yes Rodney it was a very rough time for sure. I still miss him. Can't believe I got so attached to him.

It's great to be back posting from time to time. Can't wait to post some progress!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Alrighty... Next installment of the misadventures of Fat Albert is finally here. :shock:

As I had mentioned in a recent post the sand blaster I borrowed from the dad-in-law was full of rust... I disassembled hoses and valves several times trying to get it cleaned out. All to no avail. So this is what I did last Thursday!

It took me an hour to assemble a 90% already assembled piece of equipment... Mostly because of this mutt trying to steal my tools!

After I finally managed to get it put together I found out two things... 1st being I'm going to have to find a bigger breaker for my air compressor before I burn the comp motor up. 2nd being that play sand has too much junk in it and will have to be screened before I can use it. Bummer. I didn't get anything done other than assembling the blaster. Mercy, when will I ever get this thing going?!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:33 pm

I ran across this last week too... a friend said he knew where an old willys was... and it was for sale. I don't have the money but I like looking at these old jeeps so I went to check it out. I think this is a M38 or something near... Maybe? Anybody have an idea what it would be worth all Bubbafied like this?

I don't know why the last pic comes in upside down... I wasn't standing on my head when I took it! It's right on photobucket and I tried to reload it here. Oh well... Turn your computer upside down and it should look right. :D

It has the F head motor in it with a hole cut in the hood for the carb just like Bubba did to my MB. The owner says it runs but I didn't crank it. Still I enjoyed spending a few minutes looking her over. It'd be nice to have the time and money to work on TWO jeep projects at the same time!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:43 pm

And one parting shot... first is Bear last year when I brought my MB home... second is Cy trying to fill Bears paw prints.
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Fat Albert wrote: Mercy, when will I ever get this thing going?!
Just remember Dutch, sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination! Move it forward, a little at a time... :)

Paul
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”