It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was a day of wisdom, it was a day of foolishness. Now that I am getting close to installing the engine, I needed to find some wheels and tires to get the chassis off the rolling stand I made for it. I was getting a little nervous about the need to get it off there as I never intended to add as many components to the chassis whilst on the stand.
I dug around for some wheels and tires and came up with some pretty rugged examples. Oh well, I drug them out and started installing them all the while thinking I’m adding more weight to the stand. After I installed the set of wheels and tires, I pulled the stand with the chassis on it out of the garage. I was looking at my engine crane when the stand gave way! Thankfully, the tires were on! Other than a nice bump on my knee, no damage. In the spirit of the upcoming London Olympics, I'd give it a "10" on dismount:
The above was not quite the money shot I was looking for. That right rear looks like it has been in combat. This was the one I was looking to snap:
Prior to the above debacle, I installed my generator on the engine. Earlier this week I had taken the generator to a local shop and had it tested. Even though it was fresh out of its NOS box, I just wanted to rule it out as causing an issue when I start trying to get the wiring completed. It tested fine. Now it’s off the hook. The generator shop also installed a bushing behind the pulley so it wouldn’t bottom out on the body when the pulley bolt was tightened. With that done, I cleaned it up and shot some paint on it. I sorted out the brackets and now everything is in line:
I read up in the TM about the water fording and how the spring is used on the generator bracket to allow the belt tension to be removed so that the fan blades wouldn’t dig into the water. This was to prevent the tossing of water over the top of the engine. I thought that was such a cool idea for the times. I wonder if any GI’s actually got out and did this before fording a creek? I’m sure they just hammered the throttle and figured they would be across before the engine died. I don’t know. I made a little sleeve for the generator bracket bolt, so that in the event I encounter any water running down the gutter in front of my house, I’m covered:
It works great. I might need to grind it down a little more, but I will wait until I get the engine running and fine tune it later.
I also changed the pilot bushing in the flywheel today. I can’t remember who on here mentioned to check the pilot bushing to the transmission shaft for fit and feel, but thank you! The bushing itself fit the transmission shaft fine before I installed it in the flywheel. After I installed it, I thought I would check it again. Low and behold, I couldn’t slip in on the transmission shaft! That would have been a pain to discover later. I reamed it out a little and it fits nice and snug now. I do have a question if anyone knows. Should I put a little grease in the pilot bushing for the transmission shaft? Or leave it as is? New bushing installed:
Fit and feel:
Now, the saddest part of the day. I thought I would install my new yoke on the front of the transfer case. I grabbed one of the castellated nuts that I had removed and begin the install. As I tightened the nut, it was going fine until it bottomed where I was going to get the torque on. Then it just spun. What? It was stripped! I pulled it off and looked at it:
I panicked and immediately checked the shaft. Two things: 1) The shaft has no hole for a cotter pin, and 2) the threads were fine. Hmmm. I then got to thinking that that nut was the one used on the rear shaft. I checked the rear shaft and the threads appeared fine. I found the original front nut and installed, with Loctite, and torqued without further incident:
I was still perplexed because I ruined the castellated nut for the rear output shaft! I wondered around aimlessly wondering what to do when I recalled I had another transfer case. Duh! Thankfully, the nut was already loose and I took it and tried to thread it on the rear output shaft of the transfer case. To my horror, all I can figure is that Bubba either cross threaded the nut on the shaft, or he used a nut with a more course thread. Here’s a comparison of the threads. It looks like the first 3/4" of the output shaft is coarse thread and the balance is fine thread. The output shaft is at the bottom in the photo:
In any event, I am unclear what to do at this point. I went to the hardware store and they have a 3/4" nut with a 16 thread count. I brought that home and it goes on fine for the first 1/4" and then gets too tight for me to thread on by hand. So, I am at the point that I either need to remove the transmission and transfer case, separate, and then completely disassemble the transfer case and start all over. If it were the front shaft I could most likely separate the transmission and transfer case and replace the shaft by removing the front bearing cap. Oh no, it has to be the rear shaft that requires complete disassembly of the transfer case. The bummer is that I tried to order this shaft from Ron, but he was out of stock. It actually measured out fine, so I went ahead and reused it. I’m not sure what I will do here. Thread the replacement nut on with Loctite and figure the shaft will need replacement the next time the nut is removed. Here is the new companion flange. I bought this one because the other one was pitted and rusted. This one came with a felt seal in it already. The new one for the front didn’t have one, so I made one:
The only good news is that the weather was again just barely over 100 degrees. The cooling trend continues, and it is quite pleasant working in the garage. This is one of the coolest summers I can remember around here. Not complaining! Tomorrow, I will get at it again and see if I can come up with a solution.