GEG5001A Filter

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

GEG5001A Filter

Post by Ian Fawbert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering what type of filter should be on my GEG 5001A genny in GPW 11730, USA 2067040 (Dallas).

I ask as I thought that this type was the Willys style (but i am purely basing that off samples I have in NOS Willys style packaging and its contents- this style of filter). Image

I see on ebay this type advertised, but dont know if that is the one i need either (pic from 56surplus ebay offering):
GPW 18935 A. Generator Filter.jpg
GPW 18935A. generator Filter. Ebay pic 56surplus.
GPW 18935 A. Generator Filter.jpg (17.31 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Can anyone shed some light either with original samples or photos or documents please? If this has been answered before, can someone please direct me to the topic.

Thanks,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

Bill M
MechTech

Re: GEG5001A Filter

Post by Bill M » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:31 am

Hello Ian,

the only reference I have seen is the Rock Island Arsenal report comparing the build quality of the MB Vs the GPW. I have left out irrelevant items.
Some data in this thread as well. Check out Michael O's photo. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=248245
cheers
Bill.

Generator.

Ford Model GPW
Serial 5X03159
Condenser or Filter GPW 18935A Sprague Type J x 131
Member of G503 since 1999

GPW-178721 Under restoration.

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:40 pm

The filters in the above photo were produced by Mallory. I have an NOS Ford box of Mallory filters as well as an NOS Ford box of Sprague filters...both for the same application (generator filter).

If Ford was sourcing these filters by multiple manufactures (Mallory and Sprague in this case) to box as replacement parts then one may deduce that they used them both during the assembly process.

I have an NOS Willys box of replacement generator filters and they are made by Solar...like the one in the photo of your AL generator. These are smaller in appearance than the Mallory and Sprague units. If you look at factory photos of jeeps with Autolite generators installed, they look like they have the smaller Solar unit installed. To date, I have not found any Solar units in Ford boxes.

The question is, did generators procured from Autolite by Ford have a filter already installed?
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:27 am

The genny that Ford used that came from Autolite would not have had a filter on it AFAIK when delivered to Ford.

While it is generally accepted that whatever parts mfgers were found in Ford-sealed replacement boxes were what was being used at that time on the assembly line, there is no way to know what date the parts were produced unless they have a packing slip and inspectors sign-off and date inside with them. In fact there is really no way to know if individual Ford factories were using the same mfger at the same time...so while maybe a Chester GPW had a Solar filter, a Richmond might have a Sprague.

This is the same situation I believe with the Filterette on the GPW....more than one mfger seems to have supplied them with similar model filterettes at the same time. That should be an indicator that the genny filter situation could be the same...meaning more than one mfger supplied genny filters at the same time.

Furthermore, while Michael has not seen Solar genny filters in Ford marked replacement boxes that does not confirm they weren't being used on jeeps on the line, it would take a little more of a sample group to even exclude them as vendors for the replacements I would imagine....
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:03 am

Yes Chuck, I'm in no way insinuating that Ford didn't ever use Solar units. I just know that Willys certainly did. I'm just dealing with the current evidence I possess. One could indeed speculate that Ford did use Solar units as evidence of Solar produced firewall mounted filters found on unrestored GPW's. I wish I can find an NOS Ford box with replacement Solar filteretts in it to add to my parts library.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks guys for the input. It is all valuable and certainly food for thought.

I had hoped that some of those people with more unrestored script GPW's using the GEG 5001A might have piped up as certainly there are still surviving examples on some of these jeeps! However, i hope for a lotto win too!

As always, thanks and I look forward to any more info we can find over the years to assist this thread.

Cheers,
Ian
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Ian....

Over here finding gennys with the filter still attached is tough to do and even then no way to tell if they came out of a GPW or MB usually....so here's a thought....If you checked the VRs in some of those really original GPWs you have photo-chronicled to see what make of filters were put on them.....that might be a clue as to what Ford was purchasing at the time that jeep was assembled. You'd have to check the data tag on the VR against the DOD of the jeep to try to see if they were possibly original to one another though.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”