Tail-End-Charlie

North Bay Military Vehicle Club, to perserve and honor those for our military men & women. Exibit for historical purpose for those to admire and appreciate.

Moderator: mfrance

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Tail-End-Charlie

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 am

Just curious why our group has moved further and further to the back of the Petaluma Vet's Parade?
Why are hot-rods, fire trucks and the City of Petaluma employees ahead of MVs driven by Vets and carrying Vets ending up at the tail of the parade?

I get the feeling the event organizers are interested in putting something very popular at the end of the parade, but that ain't gonna cut it for me.

Can we ask to be placed in third position, behind the Color Guard and the Petaluma Auto Dealers carrying Vets next year?

At this point in time I am thinking I might just drive up in my car, hang out in the parking lot at the Vet's Building before the parade and visit with friends and then go home when they finally decide to move the MVs to the Starting Area.

There was an email requesting rides for 15 vets at the last minute so I wonder why some vets are "honored" up at the front of the parade and the rest are cheerfully carried by the Vets in MVs at the end of the parade?

Having the hot-rods ahead of us (with the PET truck in between) makes no sense....hot rods do not represent ANYTHING to do with Veteran's Day whatsoever.

Whomever is deciding what group goes where doesn't get it; the MVs driven by Vets and carrying Vets should not be the tail-end-Charlie and if that's the plan for next year, maybe I'll pass on bringing my jeep up there.

Your thoughts?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Tail-End-Charlie

Post by DDTrustee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 am

Maybe the event organizers wanted to create a "safe space" at the front of the parade so libjerks would not be offended by militarization of their holiday

Same thing at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta - they wanted two jeeps ONLY on the day honoring the military at the last fiesta so*we did not participate at all...board seems to be dominated by the rainb*w crew. :mrgreen:
reenacting and WWII history

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Nah...I heard the "saving the best for last" argument and the crowd certainly does dig the MVs, with some re-enactors in uniform with rifles, vehicles with MGs and the Veterans in uniform that we carry. Maybe that's it...producing a good show over honoring Veterans by having them ALL up front....to which I obviously don't agree with.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Greg Lalonde
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Greg Lalonde » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:25 pm

personally chuck,i rather wait at the vets hall then waiting on one of the side streets.we had rest rooms ,did i mention restrooms?,refreshments,and its a nice place to check out all of the vehicles and b.s. with everyone.let alone having a comfortable place for the older vets to hang out,be it the lounge,or the patio.and with all our trucks and jeeps,they are saving the best for last.also it was nice to leave the vets building, and right to the parade.thats just my opinion.
Last edited by Greg Lalonde on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:18 am

Yes, best for last, in the opinion of many, including probably the parents of the kids that love the MVs! When the kid gets bored and whines about going home, all Mom has to say is, "Jimmy the tanks are coming!"

And if the massed MVs are "the best," or at least the biggest and most impressive entry, then the veterans who ride on same are in the best seats.

I was sick and couldn't make it this year but in the past I preferred the move to the staging area in town and a halt there, rather than coming in from pre-stage right into the parade. This allowed some of the parade watchers, including veterans, the chance to walk to where we were and kick tires. We create a massive jam over a couple blocks but that adds to the spectacle. But you can see why parade organizers might not like that.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “North Bay Military Vehicle Club”