WARBABY: get 'em while they're hot

1940 - 1941 BRC, MA, GP, Preproduction Prototypes. Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.

Moderator: DavidA

cblynch
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: WARBABY: get 'em while they're hot

Post by cblynch » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:33 am

I just remember I was in the group that ordered that "Jeep Book in a Crate" from Japan many years ago.... paid $100......I now wish I had ordered twenty of them as they were "numbered"..... and unopened "Crate Books" now sell for $400.......... JUST SIT BACK AND WATCH this book prices after the originals are gone from Bill....... mark my words.
The one that dies with the most toys WINS

lariat
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by lariat » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Got my two copies of Warbaby I ordered. Wow the first one was such a great read I read the second one and it was just as good. Guys this is a great book. My hats off to Bill. The time you you put into this book and research. Great Job. Thanks Bill.
Lariat (Jim Schwartzkopf)
Last edited by lariat on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:07 pm

Ordered mine (International), can't wait :)

If you can fit 2 books into the same box to save on shipping, let me know, maybe I can find another person in Canada that wants a copy.

Looks like a great read :)
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

Duncan Rolls
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Duncan Rolls » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:17 am

Dear Bill, my Bantam mentor,

I received my signed copy of WARBABY this week.... What a beautifully put together chronicle of the events
that led to the birth of the first jeep. The first few chapters putting the main characters who were responsible
for the jeep creation in perspective really helped you understand that the jeep did not come from the military
just wanting a light 4x4. The quality of the book, the photographs and documents have a way of putting faces
to names. Really like the idea of the data plate with the book number.Very clever!
Hope someone will one day adapt the story into a movie.

I am recreating the 1933 Austin truck, as seen on page 18, to go with the other Bantam BRCs to complete
the history of the Butler Bantams. You will know the vehicle as my client purchased a 1933 Bantam roadster
basket case from you. Hopefully next year it will be running around in his new coat of OD.

This book is a MUST for prototype jeep enthusiast.

Regards,
Duncan Rolls,
Bantam HQ Texas.

Polar Roller
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Polar Roller » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:49 pm

Hahaha..well, I guess we are both each others mentors :lol: at least I escaped your dreaded category of "Gunna men ( gunna restore that jeep, gunna write a book etc)...so, masterpiece of history or not, at least it exists! Thanks for the kind words...there is a very interesting and dramatic story there, but, there is no getting around it, it is tough to make a solid year of government yaps jawing with each othe really interesting, so, anyone is forgiven if they don't want to read every word. You are right on the open pickup...after the Marshall talk I bgan to realize how important that car was to the jeep...whether like me you think this car was an ancestor or the Howie Carrier was ( i dont) it doesn't matter..I am pretty sure they were the same car! The importance is not in the car...cars don't go out at night and make other cars...it is the fact that ALL of the people even slightlty involved with the jeep were well familiar with this car and everyone in the Army who considers it identifies it as the beginning of "some kind of small car"...In a way you can say the jeep was always going to be a Bantam...any genuinly small cars the Army tried wer Austins and Bantams..can't wait to see your work on it. As far as I know only one genuine one survives.

soccergorilla
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by soccergorilla » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Got my 2 copies today! Amazing Bill....so many photos I have not seen. My thanks to Bill for all the hard hours on this and all those who added photos to the project. Nice Job to all! This turned out 1st class....3 cheers for Bill......Sean.

Polar Roller
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Polar Roller » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Well, you are right Sean..it was a group effort, and many like Bruce Lynch, Bob Westerman, Bob Brandon,George Hollins, Wes Phollippi, Keith Buckley and so many others were persuaded to part with their prize jeep photos for the book..and, the grand prize has to go to you for the cover picture which was just made for WARBABY (not War Baby, the book abkut th carbine)...like you say, they must have known at Ft Lewis that I was going to need thhis picture for a cover! Also, for the "Kool" poster and others..many thanks.

dowsport1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by dowsport1 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Great Job! Bill

Old Pal
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Pal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:45 am

Just got mine in the mail today! The quality is amazing and, though I haven't read it yet, seems to be very detailed. I flipped through it and it has a ton of great pictures.

Polar Roller
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Polar Roller » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks guys...when you have a chance to read it, go to the comments page
http://warbaby.wmspear.com/comment/

And leave your impression..maybe I can get rid of these things and get back to working on my cars!

Good news in the works for Uk/EU buyers..hoping early next year to have about. 60 books over there to be mailed from England...will be the regular retail price of 75, but a huge savings in postage. Likewise Oz and Kiwi buyers may benefit from distribiton over there. news at 11.

soccergorilla

Post by soccergorilla » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Bill....can't wait until your Willy's MA book is done. How is that one coming along? ....Sean.

Polar Roller
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Polar Roller » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Well, I can't start on it until I get these Bantam ones sold and out of the barn to make room!...Besides, taking them in order, there would be ahead of it books about the Quad, the Ford GP, the Gaz 64?, maybe the Checker? and for sure the Trout and Barnes movie jeep for "Great Guns" to consider before the MA? :twisted:

I know you are joking...but, just so it is really clear...This will be my last jeep book. I am not sure my marriage is going to last through this one.
Last edited by Polar Roller on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Fortyeight2A » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Well, I meant to post before this, but I received my copy via media mail on SUNDAY! I've never seen the Post Office deliver on a Sunday, but it happened to me! I have only read a short way into the book so far, but I will dive deeper in this weekend. I almost hated to open the box--think of the collector value had I left it sealed! Anyway, thanks for putting this opus together, Bill!!
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:35 am

My copy of WARBABY was delivered to me by the USPS at 8:00 a.m. this morning, 8 hours before my usual very late afternoon mail delivery. The production specs are spectacular; sturdy and beautifully imprinted hard cover, excellent binding, and crisp clear text and photographs on eggshell white pages, which makes reading a delight rather than an exercise in glare avoidance. I have read snippets from the book, and each one has been outstanding. I love what I see. I'm looking forward to a deliciously slow and thorough reading over the weekend, and a more detailed review will follow thereafter.

However, there is one preproduction value worthy of note: the excellent box the book is shipped it has rectangular hollow ends that prevent the book's corners from being damaged although the box itself is squished in every corner. This is the first time I recalled seeing a book box with practical crush zones, and I imagine it took less than 49 days to design and get this protective box into production. It is the attention to these small details that makes this purchase a wonderfully rewarding experience from beginning to end. Congratulations, Bill, on a very classy and significant contribution to the jeep hobby! :D :D
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Polar Roller
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Polar Roller » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 am

Wow! Fred, coming from you...well, for sure it has made my day! Thanks for your very generous remarks...I hope the detailed read holds up for you.

Not eveyone will pick up of the production values you did, but, I really wanted the book to be something a guy would want to have in the library, and would stand up to the ravages of time. So, it is not just run off a glorified xerox machine by "print on demand" but is real off set printing. This requires a very substantial financial commitment because you have to print a minimum...not just run them off as you get orders. So, I am hanging out here with a barn full of books, hoping for the best. Likewise, even though most of the photos are necessarily black and white, they are actually toned with color by my very skilled Italian layout guy Introduced to me by Edo Ansaloni of the Liberation Museum Memoriale in Bologna.

BTW, The box is called a "bumper box".. they are made specially for each book depending on size. Boy, if htey get by THIS nit picking crowd, they must be good! :D

Tahis again...I wish you would cut and paste your mini-r view for our comments page! Or, let me do it...attributed or not...

Return to “BRC MA GP Prototypes”