USMC Markings USMC 55309

Modifications by service branch
Kings
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

USMC Markings USMC 55309

Post by Kings » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 am

Hello all,
After a very long time (10yrs) I'm finally going to re apply the USMC markings onto my 1944 Willys. I took lots of pics during the restoration and see attached for two pics of the original hood markings.
You can clearly see the USMC and the 309, there was a 5 in front of the 309 which isn't visible in the pic. So I managed to get USMC ?5309.
General opinion at the time on G503 was the first number would have been a 5 - thus giving me USMC 55309.

Just thought I'd share.

Thanks all
Kings
Attachments
Jeep B.jpg
Jeep B.jpg (240.34 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
Jeep A.jpg
Jeep A.jpg (209.21 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

Farrell Fox
banned
Re: USMC Markings USMC 55309

Post by Farrell Fox » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 pm

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:49 am

I don't see a hole in the cowl for the wiper motor loom.

Is there a thread with photos on your jeep?

I see you have been here a long time... 2003!

I have posted on a few of your threads but don't see where we actually looked at what your jeep is... contract Army or USMC?
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Kings
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Kings » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:40 am

Hello Mark and Farrell,
Thanks for your replies. My chassis No from memory (as I'm at work and the jeep is at home) is 366913 - But I will confirm that when I remember to look when I'm at home.

Yes, I've owned the jeep since Oct 1999, and was bought as a very rough but mostly original vehicle. I purchased it in the UK from a company that brings vehicles in from the the USA. This jeep came via the San Diego swap meet. It wasn't at the meet but a seller had it at his home local to the swap meet. He'd got it from an old chap (his words) again in San Diego who'd had it for years (again, his words)

I didn't know much about jeeps then and even less about USMC ones. The first clue it was anything other than an Army jeep was uncovering 'USMC' on the hood. Then more clues became apparent - holes on the front frame for rams hooks, USMC in two inch high digits on one of the rear bumperettes.
The color of the jeep has always been a question for me. There was, in fact still is the original green paint under the cowl under the original paper type sound proofing (is it sound proofing ??) and that is more an 'Army' green in my opinion. Regarding the PREVIOUS colors of my jeep ie. when I got it :

Top layer :
1.Very dark green (maybe black)
2. Another layer of the above.
3. Yellow
4. Dark green (like Forrest green)
5. Then I WOULD SAY Army green - This is the layer the USMC markings were on.
6. Then a primer
7. Metal

The layers mentioned above were the same all over the jeep at different areas that I tested ie not just the hood. Also there was definitely NO normal white/blue Army numbers there.

Is there a thread with photos on your jeep - No sorry, not sure how to do that. Would that be of interest ?
I have posted on a few of your threads but don't see where we actually looked at what your jeep is... contract Army or USMC? - I don't know.

Thanks all
Kings

Kings
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Kings » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your input, both now and in the past.

Regarding my jeep : I'm not sure if its contract Army or USMC. I know a lot more now than I did when I first restored my jeep, and the shame is I probably missed evidence then that has now been painted over etc. That said though there are/is some evidence now that is still relevant that I'd love to know if it points to anything :

1. I'm sure the bonnet had never been off the jeep until I got it. The paint under the hinge plate was perfect and green.
2. The layers and layers of paint were all over the jeep, incl the outside of the bonnet hinge and built up around the bolt heads and the hinge plate.
3. There was over paint and splashes on all places fender, grille etc to suggest these panels had also never been off.
Now the interesting bit .....
4. There was (still is as I painted over it) the USMC on the base layer of green, whilst the green in question is darker than most 'Army' MBs it was not as dark as the USMC MZ jeeps I see on G503.
5. Under the base layer of green was a thin black primer, then metal.
6. No USA / Army markings. No star.
7. The front bumper was missing but the holes in the top front of the frame lined up perfectly with the holes on rams hooks (that I purchased and fitred many yrs ago)

What do you think ? and thanks again
Kings

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”