U.S.M.C. MZ-2 Radio Jeep restoration.

Modifications by service branch
Robin
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: U.S.M.C. MZ-2 Radio Jeep restoration.

Post by Robin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:32 pm

Very nice. My TCS radio also has matching serial numbers. Ironically the number is 1944, the same year as my MZ-2. Found it at a pawn shop. Does your remote control unit and loading coil have matching numbers as well?
41 M3 37mm A/T gun
42 M1A1 75mm pack how
43 MBT trailer
43 WC52
43 WC62
44 Chevy 1.5 ton
44 MZ2 USMC radio Jeep
44 RL35 reel cart
44 K38 trailer
43 K52 trailer
43 M3A4 handcarts(8)
M1942 USMC handcart
M1917 Litter Carrier
M1917 Ammo cart
43 Columbia bike

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:44 pm

Robin wrote:Does your remote control unit and loading coil have matching numbers as well?
Negative. The remote control is made by Hamilton with a 4 digit S.N., and the Loading Coil made by Air King, of which the serial number is just 23. I'm not sure if there would be an entire set that is all matching?
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Very cool, Farrell!

So, you want to tell us how much you paid... or maybe tell me at TP?
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:52 am

Congratulations, Farrell, that's one beautiful numbers-matching NOS TCS-13 radio set with accessories you purchased, absolutely lovely. :D A few years ago I purchased the correct headset and plug from an eBay seller who regularly listed them for sale at a Buy-It-Now price. I haven't looked for one for the past few years, but he might still be selling them. Best wishes completing your gorgeous TCS-13 radio set.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:47 am

Mark Tombleson wrote:Very cool, Farrell!

So, you want to tell us how much you paid... or maybe tell me at TP?
I'll tell you at TP. I can say it was either this, or a set of 4 Goodyears. Since the tires are more readily available, I chose the radios.

Fred,

What is the correct headset? I've yet to see it listed in my books, though I'm still thumbing through my TCS-13 manual.

.....ah, the one page that sticks together. :roll: Headphones, Type CTE-49016 "with headband, cord and plug assembly". They are also listed as TH-37, which looks like a rather common headset.
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 am

I purchased a few of these last week. The first one just showed up.

Still trying to identify the larger boxes above. I'm guessing they are headsets?
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Tower Park was very good to my MZ-2. I was even able to meet with Mr. Jones so my friend could make drawings from his round lid battery boxes so I can get some made for myself. At this point I am only in need of the radio boxes, of which my friend is helping me make. Aside from that, I just need to start working on the jeep itself.

AVLB Operator

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:00 am

Wow, Farrell, what a haul! You scored a trifecta with the Dyneto electric wiper, the complete Spicer 18-W full time PTO and the front cover to the large auxiliary generator. The head phones likely were produced in much larger quantities than the first three truly rare parts, but its nice to get them on your shelf too. And I'm glad you met Loren and got the dimensions for the rounded battery box lids. Do you think you'll have your MZ-2 completed enough to bring it to the MVPA Convention in Pleasanton next August, 2016? I understand Mark T. has called for a gathering of radio jeeps there. Countdown is at T -15 months. :wink:
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks for the compliments, Fred. If the MZ-2 is completed in time, I will bring it to the convention, however it is slow going. Once I get new hips I'm not sure how that will delay the restoration process, hopefully not much.
AVLB Operator

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Farrell:

A good 84 year old friend of mine just get one new hip socket installed 2 weeks ago, and his recovery is coming along nicely. Right now he still uses a walker to get around as his muscles have to learn slightly different routines, but he's a tough old bird and 4 months from now I expect to see him on Dancing With the Stars, Glen Miller Edition. :wink: A youngster like you hould have a much easier time of it. I look forward to seeing you and your MZ-2 in Pleasanton next August. :D
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Fred,

That is reassuring. Hopefully it gets done pretty soon. I have a lot to do before next August, that's for sure!
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:17 pm

I think this is going to be the hardest box to make. Unfortunately the company that made the first batch said no more, so I'm forced to start from scratch. Luckily my friend Dave was able to make drawings of this. Now it's just a matter of how to go about making it :|

AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed May 06, 2015 6:58 pm

I did some actual work today and built a paper model of the angled antenna box. I will need to adjust the drawing to add a lip to the front small panel that mounts the cover and a few other tweaks, but the model matches the holes and indentations of the original box perfectly. Eventually I'll get to making the rear door.

AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue May 12, 2015 10:46 am

I spent some time and built a model of A-4890, antenna tuning knob box assembly, complete with the A-4893 Lock

Here is the few original photos I found showing the lock. It is basically a wing nut with just one ear that is like a Mickey Mouse ear.

I realized that the door tab is actually off set to the left on both early and late model boxes. So I had to adjust mine a bit

The good thing about paper models is you can correct your mistakes. I moved the door tab to the left. It now sits as it should with the lock centered of the box. The entire tuning box assembly needs to move over about 1/4 inch, which is why the tab is canted to the right.

I was able to confirm that the door tab was off set on the later angled box with this photo. You can see the lock below the tuning box. When I first built the model with the lock centered on the tuning box, you could not see the lock from this angle. After centering the lock on the main box, it now sits exposed as it does in the original photo. The sheet metal is oil canned out just below the top bow stowage bracket, so the model doesn't rest square and is a little tweaked.

Here is the illustration from the installation manual. While the illustration is not very clear, overall layout is actually pretty accurate.

I still have a bunch of tweaks to make. Once I'm confident the measurements are correct, I'll have a metal one made. But for now this gives me a really good idea of what I'm making and allows me to make adjustments as needed, and all I'm out is $12 in paper and packing tape.
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed May 13, 2015 5:51 pm

I finished a model of the square box. The light in my work area is crap so the photos are not that great. Likewise with this one, the tuning box tab is off set. I did find that the lock is not centered on the bottom of the box, it's about an 1/8th of an inch right of center. I think this is also the case on the angled box, so I'll be looking into that and see if that works out.

AVLB Operator

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”