USMC and the M38 (MC)

Modifications by service branch
Marines42
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: USMC and the M38 (MC)

Post by Marines42 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:31 am

Welcome to the green disease Major. Former Marine here myself. I have an M38 I am restoring in USMC livery that I am naming "Chestys Chariot" that will feature a small portrait of him on the front of the windshield. I will share when I am complete. I aim to have it done by the spring.
1963 Daimler Ferret Mk 2/3
1951 Daimler Ferret Mk 1 (Canadian)
1973 Humber Pig Mk 2
1944 Studebaker Weasel
1952 Willys M38
1960 M422 Mighty Mite

AROOGA
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: USMC and the M38 (MC)

Post by AROOGA » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:12 am

Gents,
This is probably the most delayed response to a Post in G History, but I ran across it by accident and had some answers. I gave Mark the USMC Jeep in Korea pics. In 2010, 5th Bn, 11th Marine Regt, First Marine Division (the HIMARS [Rockets] Bn of the Arty Regt, of the Division) hosted the Annual Reunion of the Marine Corps Rocket Association at CamPen. I'm on the Staff if the Mech. Museum there and we supported the Reunion too. Most of the Association members are Korean War Vets. They provided us with pics and stories of their Korean War experience. Synoptically, When the Marine Corps went on alert for deployment to Korea, they hurriedly tried to form the 1st Rocket Bn, 11th Marines at CamPen. Men and equipment (Rocket related) from all over the Corps (mostly from CLNC) were relocated to CamPen. By the time the First Marine Division mounted out/deployed, only a heavy C Btry, 1st Rocket Bn was sufficiently manned, equipped and trained to deploy. So that's what landed at Inchon with the First Marine Division. Curiously, the Prime Movers for the 25 Tube, Trailer Mounted, 4.5 Inch Rockets of the Bn were Dodge WC62's ND 63's with big white bull's eyes (Invasion Stars) still painted on them. Those WC's were originally newly issued trucks assembled at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Benning and didn't get shipped to the ETO because WW II ended. They were about to be declared excess when East Coast Marines went and claimed them. Ha !!! Anyway, C Btry landed as part of the Division Artillery (11th Marines). Subsequently and as some time passed, decisions were made that the remainder of the 1st Rocket Bn (still at CamPen) would remain there and not deploy. Consequently, C Btry, 1st Rocket Bn (a Division Arty Unit) was redesignated as just 1st 4.5 Inch Rocket Bn and made a Corps Level (Marine Landing Force) Unit. So, the Unit Logo/Emblem is the Landing Force downward pointing arrowhead/shield logo with a I = 1st on top inside the arrowhead/shield and a 4.5 = 4.5 Inch Rockets below the one. In some cases as seen in a Jeep pic, the ole Oldsmobile Hood Ornament looking rocket was painted on separately. That's the story +.
Semper Fi, Bob

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”