US Navy MB NAFR

Modifications by service branch

US Navy MB NAFR

Postby Toyowner » Thu May 18, 2017 8:50 am

I have had a MB for 30 years, and I am just now beginning to restore it. I assumed that it was an Army Jeep, but after researching it on the internet, I have come to the conclusion that it is Navy. There are no data plates on it, but I did find ACM numbers which led me to believe that it is a Dec. 1944 production.
The Jeep was painted blue, not gray, and I found the only markings in yellow stencil on the front bumper over the blue paint. They appear to be "NAFR". The Jeep was also under coated, and there is blue paint under it on the bottom side of the hood.
Does anyone know what I may have, based on the skimpy information provided?
Toyowner
G-Private
G-Private

Re: US Navy MB NAFR

Postby Farrell Fox » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm

If you can provide a frame and body number, we can start there. Does it have lifting rings or tow hooks?
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator
Farrell Fox
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Postby Mark Tombleson » Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Please post photos! :D
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013
Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Postby Toyowner » Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 pm

It doesn't have lifting rings or tow hooks.
The only number I have is on the driver's side firewall floor gusset. That's not handy, or I would include it. I'll get it tomorrow.
It has a filtrette under the dash.
There are LOTS of F script parts so she spent her fair share of time in the motor pool.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (150.79 KiB) Viewed 192 times
IMG_6771.JPG
Taken 30 years ago. She still looks like this.
IMG_6771.JPG (87.05 KiB) Viewed 192 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (128.68 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Toyowner
G-Private
G-Private

Postby 70th Division » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Great looking jeep !

Could that be a post war US Air Force marking ?

The colors blue and yellow were used by them.

N AFB ?

Nellis AFB ?

Is the jeep in Nevada or California ?
Could have been repainted in the 50's, being a WW2 jeep stationed on the base there that became Nellis.

Ray
70th Division
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Postby Toyowner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I am beginning to come to the conclusion that you are absolutely correct. I wish I could find more markings on the truck. But this may have to do. I looked at the bumper markings, and the "R" is looking more like a "B".
I have registration papers from California dated in the early 1970's with the spurious MB VIN assigned by the DMV.
What threw me off, amongst other things was the complete undercoating. The whole underside and engine bay have been sprayed many years ago. I was under the impression that only Navy Jeeps were so treated. A friend of mine has an M38A1 that has an undercoated replacement hood from the USAF.
I took the fuel tank out, and it looks like the well was replaced with an excellent motor pool built copy. The sides have been bent to a 0°-45°-90°, and there is also only one drain. The hood looks early with rubber windshield blocks and no holes for the lube gun etc.
Toyowner
G-Private
G-Private

Return to Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)