A-10 in Action--Filmed today!

and other stuff up in the air
GatorDoc
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

A-10 in Action--Filmed today!

Post by GatorDoc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Guys,
I was lucky enough to be invited to watch some A-10's at the local AFB today do some live fire maneuvers. Awesome experience and being that me and my kids were the only ones there, it was like the show was for us. If you have never seen one live, the camera does not do it justice. This is one mean sounding and mean looking mofo.
Be glad they are on our side. I took lots of video on my cell but its hard to post on here. Check out the ones I posted below.
J

Go Ugly Early !!!!!
http://vid1285.photobucket.com/albums/a ... icw4rp.mp4
http://vid1285.photobucket.com/albums/a ... anzscm.mp4
GatorDoc

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: A-10 in Action--Filmed today!

Post by Wolfman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:12 am

I had an A-10 Squadron based locally that I got to know. Got to watch them practice once.
Did you see them do what I called " The Ballet " ??
They come in at tree top level. Pull up 45 degrees. Roll inverted to identify the target. ( During the pull up they can't see it because the nose is in the way.) Then roll back up right. Drop the nose for the strafing run. Pull up after the pass and roll inverted the second time so they can look back to check out their work, then roll back up right and go back down on the tree tops to either move on to the next target or come around for another pass.
Other than being fun to watch, it had a purpose. At tree top level, they were never a target from the ground for very long and during the strafing run, they were never flying straight and level. Harder to hit. 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Wolfman wrote:I had an A-10 Squadron based locally that I got to know. Got to watch them practice once.
Did you see them do what I called " The Ballet " ??
They come in at tree top level. Pull up 45 degrees. Roll inverted to identify the target. ( During the pull up they can't see it because the nose is in the way.) Then roll back up right. Drop the nose for the strafing run. Pull up after the pass and roll inverted the second time so they can look back to check out their work, then roll back up right and go back down on the tree tops to either move on to the next target or come around for another pass.
Other than being fun to watch, it had a purpose. At tree top level, they were never a target from the ground for very long and during the strafing run, they were never flying straight and level. Harder to hit. 8)

I see you are from Tipton. I flew A-10s with the 45th FS out of Grissom AFB back in the 90s. Too bad they deactivated the unit. Had to move elsewhere. We used to do the air show at GUS in the summer.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:05 am

Small world !
I have been to GUS several times and the summer airshows. Pretty much open to the public now. I still like to visit the Museum out by the main gate.
We may have met. At an FAA meeting at Maconaqua High School up by Peru, ( Probably did not spell that right ) back in the 90's. Pilots from one of the squadrons at GUS gave a speech on " See and Avoid ". You guys were flying at really low altitudes around the local airspace back then and were given a heads up on what to watch out for. I meet with them after the meeting. I was wondering if they knew where my small private grass airstrip was ? They didn't. A mile south east of the road intersection of US 31 and SR 28. Turns out you were using that intersection as a ground reference point on your way south, around the east side of Indy, on your way to the practice range at Atterbury. Took you right over head. After that. I got buzzed a lot. Loved it !! I thought you were flying low before but got lower after. Got real quiet after the Gulf War started. Still see an A-10 go over occasionally but nothing like back then.
Good to hear from you !
Have a Merry Christmas !!
Mike
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:26 am

Wow. that was a long time ago. I can't say i remember the meeting specifically as we did so many of those, but most of the pilots from the squadron went out into the community to make everyone aware of our low fly procedures. All of IN was a 500' agl area and a large portion was at 100' agl. We tried seriously to map all of the local and private strips and kept our maps (then paper w/o GPS) up to date of towers, wires and flight areas/paths. It was a good relationship with the citizens of IN. I really miss my time there.
3_16.jpg
3_16.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Oz

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:28 am

GatorDoc wrote:Guys,
I was lucky enough to be invited to watch some A-10's at the local AFB today do some live fire maneuvers. Awesome experience and being that me and my kids were the only ones there, it was like the show was for us. If you have never seen one live, the camera does not do it justice. This is one mean sounding and mean looking mofo.
Be glad they are on our side. I took lots of video on my cell but its hard to post on here. Check out the ones I posted below.
J

Go Ugly Early !!!!!
Thanks for posting, it was a great flashback for me
Oz

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:02 am

Here is one more for you.
My grass strip runs east & west. There is a woods between the runway and the road intersection I referred to. You guys came in from the Northwest so low, I could not see you for the trees. I took off to the east one day. Made one last check before throttle up. Climbed to about 600' AGL and leveled off when I spotted a shadow moving across the ground under me. My first instinct was look up for the plane making the shadow. No Joy, so I looked down and there was an A-10. Under me. I was in the Wag Aero Sport trainer I still have. It was summer and I had the doors open. I was leaning out the door looking down and the A-10 pilot was looking up. We waved to each other and he flew off . Flash back of my own. What a view. 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:50 am

A couple more for you.
My home & shop are on the east end of the runway. The woods is northwest but straight west is open crop land for 50 miles. One morning I was up on the west side of the roof on the house, checking out some wind damage when I heard a turbine whine behind me. When I turned around, I was nose to nose with an A-10. As you said, probably 100' AGL. He banked right and waived as he flew on down the runway.
Then there was the summer in the shop, with the doors open. I heard two jets but they were not just flying by, they sounded like they were circling. I went out and sure enough, two A-10s. Circling in opposite directions. They made a couple of laps and then rolled off and disappeared to the southeast.
Some days, the A-10s would just fly over but on some days, I got the free airshow. I am pretty sure those days were the guys I met at the FAA meeting.
I always enjoyed the show and missed them when they moved on.
Now days, I still see A-10s go over but higher and cruising. Always in pairs or multiples of pairs. No show ! :(
I am glad they were looking out for me !!
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:25 pm

The days of open free flying are long over. The last 5 years or so were getting more and more controlled and everyone restricted to specific routes. We thought it was strict then compared to the VN era guys, but it is far different now.

You must be enjoying the flying in IN. A great place to fly it was :)
Oz

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:28 am

You said it, OZ. Was. 911 changed everything. Used to hang out at Sheridan Airport. Always a bunch of guys ( and Gals) loafing around just waiting for someone to suggest flying someplace. The adventure was on. Now, the place is a ghost town. :(
The new needle to thread is cellphone towers and wind farms. Best to climb out and maintain a safe altitude.
Could take up flying drones but I like to ride along. Beside, we all know where that went.
Happy New Year !
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:54 am

As with all things nothing will ever be the same...except for the impressive ability of the A10. Too bad the dumb ass brass wants to get rid of it. They are all butt snorkeling with the makers of the F35/22 so they can get a cushy job after retirement. Sorry to drag the post off topic.
Oz

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:46 am

Don't get me off on brass & politics. I would probably get the axe.
There is nothing else in the U.S. arsenal that does what an A-10 does. Hands on, close ground support and what it does to a tank is ugly.
An Apache helicopter might come in a distant second. But it does not have that " Big Rotary Cannon".
First time I saw the cannon out of the fuselage, I was awe struck. That thing is huge !
My vote would be keep the A-10 but what I think usually does not count.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”