M3A1 Tires

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Terry Witiuk
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
M3A1 Tires

Post by Terry Witiuk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 am

Hi. I'm looking to put some new tires on the scout car and hoping that others can share their experiences or thoughts on which tire to choose. 9.00x20 NDCC tires are currently fitted (acquired this way) and not sure if I want to stay with that size or go back to 8.25x20 NDT. I believe the reason for putting 9.00x20 tires on the vehicle was because of low cost, surplus/used tires at about $80 to $100 per tire with up to 95% tread remaining. These are readily available and the price certainly makes this an attractive option. New 9.00x20 tires are about $250 to $300 per tire and from a cost point of view when compared to used...makes no sense. New 8.25x20 NDT tires are about $360 and up per tire. I have no experience driving a scout car on 8.25x20 tires and again, hoping that others will share their thoughts/experience. The rims on my scout car are Budd rims, not combat. I believe that two of the rims are WWII period with support flanges being riveted while the other two are likely post WWII as they welded. I don't think this is an issue with regards to 8.25x20 size tires but again, looking for any thoughts, suggestions or experiences. If anyone has good combat rims for sale, I might be interested.
Thanks, Terry.

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: M3A1 Tires

Post by steve1973 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

My personal opinion is I would go with the 8.25 x 20 tires as original. I'm surprised you don't have any tire rubbing problems up front. I know the halftracks do.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 pm

I have 9.00x20’s on my M3A1 Scout Car. However I have often thought about looking into tires that would put more tread contact to the surface for regular driving. A nice set of 8.25x20 military tires would be great for MVPA events.
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

Terry Witiuk
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Terry Witiuk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Steve, thanks for the reply. There is some rubbing when wheels are turned hard left or right but nothing that comes across as a problem. Again, I do not have the experience of driving a Scout Car or Half Track on 8.25x20 tires and hence to not see this as an issue. Technically not right but seems to have only resulted in the inside tire walls being shiny were they rub. The wear is not tearing up the rubber.

Topkick, thanks for your reply as well. Interesting point that the 8.25x20 tires would provide more contact with the road...something to consider.

Look forward to reading more thoughts on this.

Cheers, Terry.

Return to “Armor”