Carter carb linkage parts

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Carter carb linkage parts

Post by wc56daveyboy » Fri May 26, 2017 3:37 am

Hi all.

If I end up using this carb, I'll be needing some of the missing linkage.or better condition linkage.

This carb was just rebuilt by me and its in great shape other than the missing linkage:

See here pics:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=285817

Anyone have any junked carb pieces with the exterior linkage they want to sell?

To be clear, I'm not a carb expert so can't intelligently describe the items I need.
I know the throttle body base has some linkage there. Seems complete? I can't tell.

(Maybe a more knowledgable reader here can view the pics and tell me?)

The top choke plate has linkage and that seems ok and complete.

I need for sure the "arm" link between the two at the very least.

Actually the base or throttle body parts look a little worse for wear so I guess I would be looking for better parts here too
Or perhaps a different base complete in better shape

Anyone?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Carter carb linkage parts

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri May 26, 2017 8:35 am

Looks to me like you are at a crossroads with this carb. It is missing the link between choke and throttle shaft I think, but if you find that the throttle shaft is LOOSE in the flange body then you'll never get it to idle without the choke pulled out and it will run like crap...it will run, but not like it should.

Getting the flange body bushed and possibly adding a new throttle shaft are options here (see Scoutpilot here about that) but you need to decide if you want to dump $$$ into a post-war Carter or if you should look further for a 539s which would be correct for your jeep. Granted finding a 100% correct 539S is not easy, and can run from the $40 reported at the MVCC Petaluma meet last month to over $150. I certainly ignore the mix-master Carters on ebay in the $400-$500 range for obvious reasons (pirates).

There are many threads on how to ID the components and if you can hit the jeep meets this spring/summer you might find one of those dirty, greasy, ugly 100% 539S out there for $100 or less.

it depends on your goal...just get 'er running or plan for a restoration down the line. I would think about that and dumping $$$ into a carb I would be replacing down the line anyway.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Carter carb linkage parts

Post by wc56daveyboy » Fri May 26, 2017 9:56 am

thanks Chuck,

My current base defiantly needs to be re-bushed. Plus linkage ain't looking so great

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”