My first MB or GPW

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
JDMC
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

My first MB or GPW

Post by JDMC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:43 am

I'm interested in purchasing my first GPW or MB. This will be a runner/driver, not a museum piece. I have owned modern Jeeps for decades, but now want to own, preserve, and display a working piece of US military history. The Jeep doesn't have to be perfect, but it must run, and have as much non-reproduction gear and parts as possible. I'll make authenticity corrections and restorations as I go, but I will drive it a bit first to learn the quirks and maintenance before any tear down. I will be watching this forum and prowling Craigslist for leads, but if anyone is interested in selling, or knows of something that would interest me, please let me know. I'm also open to advice or questions as this is new to me.

I live north of Baltimore and I volunteer at the MD Museum of Military History, and we have on display Vixen Tor, so I have ready access to a great reference model as I go about correcting and restoring my new (old) Jeep.

JDMC
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: My first MB or GPW

Post by JDMC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Any advice on where to look to locate such a Jeep would be appreciated. Also, any guidance on how long this search might take, or how far and wide I may have to search would be useful too. I've been reading this forum for quite some long time (check my registration date), and I'm excited to begin work on something of my own!

marsq5
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by marsq5 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Live over in Fallston got a 43 gpw also several jeeps in jarretsville don't know of any around this area but will keep an eye open
43 gpw P10043
1/4 T Bantam 1943 acm# 51716
1943 gpw 152633 mvps 2019 veterans award
gpw 20460 frame
3 52 m38

JDMC
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JDMC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks! All leads are appreciated.

JDMC
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JDMC » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 am

In case anyone knows of anything, or wants to contact me before listing, I'm still looking.

I am willing to ship the right vehicle, or drive hundreds of miles to tow it home if needed.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Take your time in looking around before buying, MD is a title state, so make sure it has a good title, with numbers matching the title in the correct places. Get to know what is correct and not for a WWll jeep. How much you spend now,if you do your homework, should define how much you will need to spend to make it correct. A running jeep with a good price, with the wrong engine and tranny may not be a good deal since you want to make her all original. Take some body with you who knows what is correct. Take a good spotlight that works, sandpaper and a magnifing glass to see numbers. Check the frame for rust through damage in the usual places. Go during the day, when it is nice out and can lay on the ground with plenty of time. If the seller wont let you take pictures, and check numbers and crawl under her, and then go home to think about it, move on. Look through the posts about people who bought jeeps, you will see all kinds of mismatched stuff, wrong numbers or no numbers, GPW titles on MB frames. If you aren't ready to deal with that stuff later, do it correctly now. Everybody that you are going to meet out there selling a jeep that isnt on this list is a jeep expert, Every jeep you find will be claimed to be 100% original, ran last year, never was stored outside, Only had 1 owner, and was on Normandy Beach. ( My jeep was on Normandy Beach) fine print,wispering quierly and looking the other direction, FL.

There are 100's of people looking to buy WWll jeeps on craigslist and they have listings there, just look under wanted, or for sale, So that craigslist jeep that has been for sale for a few weeks or months, is there for a reason. If they are on ebay, look at the pictures close, Pay when YOU pick her up. There is one on the auction site now, 4K wrong engine, title wrong going by the listing, Figure out what that will cost to restore. There are different meanings to "rebuilt" it could mean taken apart and put back together. It "Runs", could mean find the fine print :if you take the battery out of the truck, the fuel tank off the lawn mower and pour fuel down the hole where the carb used to be" never mind it has no wheels.

There is probably a dozen posts on here listing what to look for, Just take your time. If you dont like the deal, walk, you will need to live with it.

Adam

Adam

JDMC
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JDMC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement. I've been reading this site for quite some time, and the more I read, the more I realize I need to learn. It's amazing how much can be written about a 70+ year old vehicle that was made to be simple.

I know this purchase can be a long process, which is why I'm starting it now. I'm ready to buy, but I'm also ready to wait. When the right Jeep, and the right deal, comes along, I'll have my cash and make the purchase. Until then, I'll read, learn, and would be happy to help turn some wrenches on other folks Jeeps.

marsq5
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by marsq5 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Currently putting a43 how together over in Fallston finishing chassis. Welcome to come over can learn a lot. Met you at ft Indian town gap.
43 gpw P10043
1/4 T Bantam 1943 acm# 51716
1943 gpw 152633 mvps 2019 veterans award
gpw 20460 frame
3 52 m38

JDMC
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JDMC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:48 am

I'm still in the market.

Richard Grace
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Richard Grace » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:43 am

JDMC there is a website that lists jeeps for sale. It is: <ewillys.com> I see some pretty good deals on there...... -RG
Richard Grace
Palmetto, Georgia

Carolinamv
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Carolinamv » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 am

Its taken me about 5 months so far of constant looking and leads to find the right MB for me. I have an ad up like you and finally a guy contacted me that would like for me to be the new owner of his MB.
IM very picky and wanted a matching original MB that's restored absolutely correct or as close as possible.

If you are ok with a repro tub and/or a GPW it seems there are TONS for sale.

I'm new to this also , get with a local MVPA chapter if possible, find a expert to help you look over what you want to buy or post it all up here for the guys here to pick it over. I have a friend that has saved me thousands in buying the wrong Jeeps.
MB 217454 DOD 8 March 43 ACM 118981 USA 20310334, S on cowl -Fully Matching MB-
MVPA 36501
Colorado Springs
Jay B.

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Fortyeight2A » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Do you have a copy of "All American Wonder" (both volumes)? How about Ren Bernier's book? Those will help out a lot.
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:05 am

When you go to look at a prospect....take your camera and then post a lot of pics on the gee. There are many knowledgeable guys here to sort out repop, post-war and missing items from any prospect. I was in your position and the best bit of info I got was "Buy the most complete jeep you can find" and I still suggest that to new guys all the time!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”