Timing Cover and Single Groove Pully Obtained

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
signsup
banned

Timing Cover and Single Groove Pully Obtained

Post by signsup » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Couple of guys at our local MVPA meeting today helped me diagnose my oil leak. Seems I've got a double pully on my crankshaft and it has rubbed through my timing chain cover, so I need both.

Need single pully for L-134 and a timing chain cover. The motor is post war. The jeep is GPW, but I'm not an F mark nut, so as long as it fits, it's fine with me.

PM if you have one or both of these items. I can pay with Paypal or send you a check or money order.

Thank you, in advance.
Last edited by signsup on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: WTB: L-134 Timing Chain Cover and Crankshaft Pully

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:34 am

Double pulley should not be a problem as the double pulley (one wide-one narrow groove)installed on PE-95, WWII T-2 Air compressor, and all the CJ's share the same part numbers. If your pulley is contacting the timing cover, something is missing like a spacer or thrust washer on the crankshaft. Is your cover for Chain or Gear Drive?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:06 am

Everyone who looks at it says it is post war, so I'm presuming gear driven, not chain driven. Lot of oil in that area and I haven't pulled the pully or cover to confirm that the pully has rubbed through but that is the consensus. When I pulled the oil pan and pully guard to try to solve this oil leak on my own, it appears that I didn't get the memo that my rebuilder had used 3/8" nuts as spacers for the pully guard and I inserted the bolts direct and have probably run them through the bottom of the timing cover. So I made a bad situation worse.

I can pull all the parts off, but I was hoping to get replacement parts and do it all at once. But since there may be slight differences in the parts, I may be better off pulling the old ones and confirming what I have to deal with. There maybe a washer or spacer that I can add to make sure the double groove pully does not run, but since it is not "correct" I thought I'd just replace it with a single groove pully while I had the old one off. I was hoping to get some welding done on the rear panel and wanted the oil leak stopped prior to having it leak all over the welders shop, but I may have them start welding while I research this a little more. My wife can be painting the rear panel repair while I am working on the front end.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:24 pm

The Chain Drive has a peg that is swaged to the cover that the Camshaft Thrust Plunger pushes against. It is at the intersection of those ribs that are pressed into the cover. Gear type has none.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

TailSlide
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by TailSlide » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:48 pm

If you find it to be chain driven I've got one new in the box. Part #644425. Has the stud for chain driven engines. Has an invoice in the box from 1968. Surface rust from sitting so long.
1943 Willys MB
Hood #20318556 (authentic)
Chassis # Unknown

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:50 pm

I do not have my old one off, but it looks like it does NOT have a rivet in the center of it, so it appears to be a grear drive timing cover, not a chain drive. So that is the cover I am looking for if anyone has one available.
And, I still would rather have the single groove pully rather than the two groove pully that is on there now.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
banned

Re: Timing Cover and Single Groove Pully Obtained

Post by signsup » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Got both items. Thanks
Robert Brough
Winston, GA