WANTED - WILLYS / GPW AUSTRALIA

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
Moultz
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: WANTED - WILLYS / GPW AUSTRALIA

Post by Moultz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Well that certainly cleared that up.

Thanks!

wjohn
LTCOL, RA Sigs
LTCOL, RA Sigs

Post by wjohn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Moultz wrote:Well that certainly cleared that up.

Thanks!
;-)
GPW 204556
USA 20536862

MB371922
ACM2 Tub 23298

MB130849
ARN: 79731
DOD 26 Mar 1942

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 am

Hi mate,

I don't know the vehicle, but if you wanted something that would be in great mechanical condition, I think this (might pay to ask John/artificer) would be the jeep to go for.

I know it doesn't meet your criteria in other ways, but something to think about.

Cheers,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 pm

G'day mate....
I knew this vehicle quite well until 2 years ago when I reluctantly sold it & ended up with with a money pit Mercedes 500SL.
She didn't like the jeep as it was not air conditioned & flow thru ventilation just did not cut the mustard.

Image In Queensland

Image In Nevada

The current owner has probably done nothing to it as it didn't need anything, when he bought it. Except looks like he took the radiator guard & RAEME badge. He knew little about Jeeps as is evidenced in his advertisement & I believe it may have a few extra holes as he was going to fit baby seats, for goodness sake. The cops would have loved that & talk about safety!
As John W. said this Jeep was made to be an everyday driver & that it is why it was rebuilt to be 100% reliable. It was line bored new everything including fully bearinged new camshaft, valves, followers, springs & inserts. Totally balanced including pressure plate & has front harmonic balance.
Has new radiator with original fan supplemented by temp engaged electric cooling fan.
It is NOT an F head engine & it hasn't done more than 10,000km since full rebuild
It has a rebuilt geared starter from a Toyota engine
The alternator is Motorcraft & was rebuilt
Ignition is electronic
Battery was 12V delco maintenance free
The T90 transmission that was fully rebuilt with new parts including fully sealed bearings, smooth gear changing & it doesn't jump any gears.
A smooth operating diaphragm clutch was fitted & all linkages have heim joints.
Not forgetting the overdrive & professionally fitted operating lever along side the drivers seat, right hand falls straight on it [again heim joints]
It has dual master cylinder with remote fill, disc brakes all round, DOT 5 & will stop safely on nothing [engineers plate fitted in one of the back lockers].
As well there are 15" wheels off an International Scout with as new radials all with the correct rolling radius.
It didn't leak oil & will sit on freeway speed all day long, anywhere.

So it is your choice, you can have a trailer queen that you can drive around the block a few times a year, spend a lot of money getting it there & keep doing so. Or you can buy something that is 100% reliable & you can drive round Australia or the world

The price being asked is a bit high, but I'm sure one can dicker, if they want to.
There were original books/manuals & plenty of parts went with it including tray of 'Jeep' nuts & bolts.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Moultz
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Moultz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Thoughts on this jeep.

It's a GPW engine in an mb body, 6v with a repro tub.

Looks to be very well restored.

I'm looking to offer around 18-19k.

Thanks!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (198 KiB) Viewed 658 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (219.89 KiB) Viewed 658 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (249.82 KiB) Viewed 658 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (184.96 KiB) Viewed 658 times

Moultz
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Moultz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:30 pm

More pics.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 661 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.26 KiB) Viewed 661 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.78 KiB) Viewed 661 times

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:02 pm

To save people from standing on their heads or turning their computer monitor upside down I have corrected your photos & got rid of that black surround.

Looks to me like there has been some attention to detail which is so often missing when reproduction bodies are fitted. Things like 1/2 door snaps & the weld along the cowl.

The engine should be green from the factory for a Willys Ford has the grey ones, I see bond straps & the engine compartment looks good overall.

That is all from me, no doubt others will chime in.
Attachments
moultz6.jpg
moultz6.jpg (184.21 KiB) Viewed 653 times
moultz5.jpg
moultz5.jpg (202.95 KiB) Viewed 653 times
moultz4.jpg
moultz4.jpg (213.1 KiB) Viewed 653 times
moultz3 (800x600).jpg
moultz3 (800x600).jpg (230.23 KiB) Viewed 653 times
moultz1.jpg
moultz1.jpg (236.41 KiB) Viewed 653 times
moultz.jpg
moultz.jpg (214.46 KiB) Viewed 653 times
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

Moultz
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Moultz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks John, I'm hopeless with computers!

Thanks for your advice.

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:57 am

Hey Moultz Did you mean to say its a ford engine in a willys FRAME? If so, Then It is what it is. As John has already said the builder has payed attention to detail somewhat. Is it worth that kind of money.? !! That's your call . However As everyone has suggested to you previously I,d urge you to take someone along with you, who knows about jeeps. Before you hand over your money :roll: They could well point things out to you, that these few pictures don't show. How many parts are original v repro ect ect. That may help you decide IF that's the jeep for you. Just my opinion.
regards Nick

Moultz
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Moultz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:34 am

Does anyone know any members of the G in perth?

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 am

Does anyone know any members of the G in Perth?
Tony W has some mechanical expertise & this doesn't look like his vehicle.

Cosmetic overhauls are quite common. This looks like an older example & just another candidate.
It is quite easy to have something look presentable in OD & have some easily replicated period stenciling applied.
Stenciling that most likely has nothing to do with this Jeep's actual job description & history.

What is the detail info on the replaced data plates?

It is what is on the inside that counts & frankly looking @ the very simple stuff around the carburettor e.g. throttle & choke cables & wrong/stretched spring [when correct ones are readily available] I would be extremely careful.
Indicative of amateur work practices with no or little attention to detail. Aren't we talking a lot of money for perfection!

One needs to know this vehicle's history, where has it been, who did what & when plus assume nothing, whatsoever.

Eliminate the emotion & frustration of searching in a remote location with limited stock from the equation.
This vehicle's price is @ the top end . It should indicate everything is new or rebuilt to as new condition & this vehicle doesn't qualify.

Keep searching & you are more likely to get a better value vehicle from the USA & import same.
http://www.ewillys.com/category/gpw-ford-mb/
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:43 pm

This is possibly a good buy for someone living Western Australia. Back loading from Newman should be pretty inexpensive....few days work putting back together & voila

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newman/w ... 1039876742

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”