Hello to All from new guy

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Hello to All from new guy

Post by Guam0311 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:18 am

Hello to everyone here, New guy here with Many questions, however I have read hours on this sight trying to absorb the wealth of knowledge that is filled within this forum. I have learned a lot from the many topics.
I am in the process of trying to lasso a MULE. I see one in craigslist for sale down in L.A. sitting in a Museum for the last 20 years, original USMC paint and it's listed as an M274 A5. So I would assume it's a 2 wheel steering? It also has pull start.

Sitting in a museum for twenty years not sure it would start and the seals, bearings, etc. all drying up.

Still waiting on info from the seller.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Hello to All from new guy

Post by Mark Jesic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 am

Welcome, and good luck with your project, help on here as standard.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello and welcome to the board. As far as I can tell the mule near LA is at a tank museum. According to the description they say they went through the fuel system and got it running. Other than checking the fluids, I kinda doubt they did much more than get it running to sell. If you want a bone stock mule, here it is, but you should go through all the seals and axle boots to verify it is ready to use other than replacing the seat.

IMHO that seven grand asking is a bit high for what you are getting there.

Lance-W
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Lance-W » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Kinda sounds like this one? If so it's been for sale for a long time.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=286461

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm

An Original Unmolested mule is hard to find and if lube is in the DGs, center section, steering gear and trans, oil in the engine then seals should be checked after topping off and driving to identify leaks. The $7K if that is the price, is on the HIGH side but if it is the one you want it should be a great buy since it could be all original unless the military replaced parts.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Hmmn,I'd like to have an original, unmolested, mule.
change user name to mark

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:02 am

Mark Jesic wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 am
Welcome, and good luck with your project, help on here as standard.
Thank you mark

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:13 am

Auto Shop teacher wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm
Hello and welcome to the board. As far as I can tell the mule near LA is at a tank museum. According to the description they say they went through the fuel system and got it running. Other than checking the fluids, I kinda doubt they did much more than get it running to sell. If you want a bone stock mule, here it is, but you should go through all the seals and axle boots to verify it is ready to use other than replacing the seat.

IMHO that seven grand asking is a bit high for what you are getting there.
Thanks Auto Shop Teacher, Your input knowledge on these Mules is very helpful. When they said museum I was kinda thinking right out of the factory? more like right out of the hills of Pendleton. Ha.

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 am

muleman7 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm
An Original Unmolested mule is hard to find and if lube is in the DGs, center section, steering gear and trans, oil in the engine then seals should be checked after topping off and driving to identify leaks. The $7K if that is the price, is on the HIGH side but if it is the one you want it should be a great buy since it could be all original unless the military replaced parts.
Thank you for the reply Muleman7, he sent two pictures, but there taken from farther away so the clarity isn't in detail. Sorry I don't yet know how to post pictures yet.

Is four wheel steering and the two cylinder MULE Preferred, better? Or now maybe whatever a guy can get now.

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:34 am

Lance-W wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:19 pm
Kinda sounds like this one? If so it's been for sale for a long time.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=286461
Hey Lance, Spot on, that's the same one. Wow I Guess he is asking a lot and then you would still have to go through the thing to make sure its in good mechanical condition. Thank you for your input.

major519
G-Major
G-Major

Post by major519 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:15 am

It appears that it was listed for a while and did not sell at asking price. This should tell you something.
Personally, I'd go take a look and throw them an offer. Like $5K. Take it or leave it. If the museum is hard up and looking to sell they might consider it.
Draining and refilling fluids is not such a big deal but having to replace all the seals, check the mechanics etc is a lot bigger job. The unknowns are what will cost you other than your time...
Otherwise, be patient and wait. There are mules that come up here from time to time for decent dollars and usually come from guys who know a thing or two about them.
1968 M274A5 USMC 325489
1966 M274A2 USMC 333007
1958 M274 US ARMY 2B3379
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715
1981 M101CDN Manac 3/4 trailer
1984 M1009 CUCV
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 am

I am going out there today, perhaps I can see it and get some photos.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Guam0311

"Is four wheel steering and the two cylinder MULE Preferred, better? Or now maybe whatever a guy can get now."

4WS reduces the turning radius in half from about 40' to 20'. This is preferable when maneuvering through wooded areas and tighter turning reduces the rev-frw-rev-frw. the 2WS A5s can be converted to 4WS costing time and $.

Pros:
Reduced Turning Radius providing better maneuverability.

Cons:
More strain on the Steering, CV Joints, Tie Rod Ends and Tires

The Mule Drive Train is constant 4WD with no slippage the Axels are splined into the Ring Gear and in 4WS 2 tires have to slip. On pavement you will eat tires quickly and put more strain on the Drive Train.

If you are going to use your 4WS mule ONLY on pavement and 4WD is NOT necessary then I would pull the Idler Gears from the same side. That way the front and rear tires will turn the same radius reducing stress.

2cyl 14hp vs 4cyl 17hp

2cyl hands down is your best choice for reliability and ease of maintenance. hydraulic lifters, canister oil filter, big fan, external starter, 1 muffler and PARTS are more available. A well built engine should last you many years with regular maintenance.

The 4cyl has mechanical lifters [not easy to set tappet clearance], 4 spark plugs [hard to change], 2 mufflers, very small oil filter [screen], small blower and manual starter system on the flywheel [have to pull the engine to repair. PARTS are harder to get.

The A5 has an aluminum bed and wheels while the other models have a magnesium bed and wheels. Aluminum is preferred.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Went out there today and spent almost an hour with the curator, and he showed me the mule. I suspect he doesn't have the timing set right because it is a bitch to pull that starter and we never did get it started. It is indeed an A5 in unrestored condition but he 'says' he is sticking with the $6 grand price after he came down from the $7 grand he first wanted.

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

muleman7 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm
Guam0311

"Is four wheel steering and the two cylinder MULE Preferred, better? Or now maybe whatever a guy can get now."

4WS reduces the turning radius in half from about 40' to 20'. This is preferable when maneuvering through wooded areas and tighter turning reduces the rev-frw-rev-frw. the 2WS A5s can be converted to 4WS costing time and $.

Pros:
Reduced Turning Radius providing better maneuverability.

Cons:
More strain on the Steering, CV Joints, Tie Rod Ends and Tires

The Mule Drive Train is constant 4WD with no slippage the Axels are splined into the Ring Gear and in 4WS 2 tires have to slip. On pavement you will eat tires quickly and put more strain on the Drive Train.

If you are going to use your 4WS mule ONLY on pavement and 4WD is NOT necessary then I would pull the Idler Gears from the same side. That way the front and rear tires will turn the same radius reducing stress.

2cyl 14hp vs 4cyl 17hp

2cyl hands down is your best choice for reliability and ease of maintenance. hydraulic lifters, canister oil filter, big fan, external starter, 1 muffler and PARTS are more available. A well built engine should last you many years with regular maintenance.

The 4cyl has mechanical lifters [not easy to set tappet clearance], 4 spark plugs [hard to change], 2 mufflers, very small oil filter [screen], small blower and manual starter system on the flywheel [have to pull the engine to repair. PARTS are harder to get.

The A5 has an aluminum bed and wheels while the other models have a magnesium bed and wheels. Aluminum is preferred.

Thank you Muleman7 That is spot on information that is very helpful in looking for a MULE. I have already read many of your posts on here and hopefully I can remember and put to use the technical aspects.

Return to “Mule M274”