M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Re: Hello to All from new guy

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Auto Shop teacher wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 pm
Went out there today and spent almost an hour with the curator, and he showed me the mule. I suspect he doesn't have the timing set right because it is a bitch to pull that starter and we never did get it started. It is indeed an A5 in unrestored condition but he 'says' he is sticking with the $6 grand price after he came down from the $7 grand he first wanted.

Wow. I appreciate the fact you went there to check out the MULE. El Monte Ca is a good 8 hr drive south for me. I owe you a six pack Auto shop teacher .lol.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 am

Your welcome, but I went out there as much for myself as I have wanted to see that place for a long time.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 am

Just because we couldn't get it started to run I think the mule is in great overall condition. The side rails are straight, everything appears to be there including the towbar, the deck is in great condition, and has been mentioned, ones in this condition are hard to find.

If I were buying this mule, I would invest in a new seat and 4 new tires right away as they are quite cracked because of age, they seem to be holding air just fine, but I doubt they will last long if you start driving the mule. Remember too that although the buying price is on the high side, getting all the missing parts needed to put together a stripped hulk gets expensive REAL FAST, I know!

Lance-W
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Lance-W » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 am

I've been thinking about this a bit.
For 6k and everything is there with the understanding that you might have some service required as a result of it sitting so long..... Almost anything you buy at this price point will require something to be fixed and then you'll be searching for the parts that are missing on whatever you buy.

$6000 for the Mule
$500 for a set of tires from Summit Racing
~$200 for a seat.

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:43 am

A BIG thanks to all you guys replying to this thread. With my whopping two weeks of knowledge on the Mule, you guys have been helpful and with valid points. I see what your saying, it can add up and with parts getting harder to find. With what I have read, like 11,000 or so made? the pickings are far and few between.

pokey270@gmail.com
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by pokey270@gmail.com » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 am

I know parts can get expensive but I think half the fun of the Mule Life is searching for parts. So much fun when you can find them!

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 am

pokey270@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 am
I know parts can get expensive but I think half the fun of the Mule Life is searching for parts. So much fun when you can find them!
While that can be true, how many mule rebuilds never were finished because the owner became overwhelmed with all of the parts needed to finish their mules? At least buy a basket case first mule with almost all of the parts, you have a much better chance of completing your mule. When you have a mule or two rebuild under your belt, perhaps then take on the extreme basket case challenge. Even John Emery jokes that he has $3,000 + tied up in a mule he bought for $35.00 years ago, and he owns Bill Watson's mule company now.

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Compared to the current selling prices, I got mine fairly cheap. It needed a lot of work (still ongoing) but thats half the fun of learning and restoring these machines. The more parts the unit has, no matter the shape, the better off you are....
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

TonyS
G-Civilian

Post by TonyS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm

I’m also a new mule owner, and having a ball with it.
Trying to figure out how to post.
Tony

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm

TonyS wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm
I’m also a new mule owner, and having a ball with it.
Trying to figure out how to post.
Tony
Welcome aboard, Where did you find your MULE?

TonyS
G-Civilian

Post by TonyS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

New mule owner Tony Stolfe, found it California
4 wheel steer and in very good shape. Looking
forward to sharing.

m37-man
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by m37-man » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:41 pm

If you are in the Peoples Republic of California show up at the Medium size Tower Park meet in September or the BIG meet in April 2019. Lots of Mules and contacts at that those. I might bring a couple of mine. See the MVCC page on this site for details.
M37-Man, discriminating collector of all terrain vehicles:
'43 Ford GPW
'45 Willys MB
'73 Jeep Commando
'78 & '85 Jeep CJ7s
'83 Jeep Scrambler
Herd of '66 BMY M274A2 Mules

Return to “Mule M274”