Holy Cow, is this mule 'modified' (butchered)

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Holy Cow, is this mule 'modified' (butchered)

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Knew something was up with the big box over the engine compartment in the deck, but WOW! I will be interesting to see what it goes for, if it even sells..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/142679899247?ul_noapp=true

The Onan CCKB two cylinder is the same one we use in MT14, MT19 track speeders, and you might remember those 3 wheel mail carts that the post office used to use before the USPS got those right hand drive Jeeps. Those engines weren't too reliable even when they were new, and those carts put a serious dent in the number of mail carriers in So. Calif. because of accidents.

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Holy Cow, is this mule 'modified' (butchered)

Post by ccandgc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 pm

It's about half an hour drive from me. I wish it wasn't so boogered up.
-Chad

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 am

I bet that frame comes right off after cutting the angle Iron, I doubt it's actually butchered up under there. '59 date make it interesting, I'm on the opposite coast, figures.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:52 am

The part that is hard for me to understand is how much work and effort went into putting in an engine that never belonged in a mule. I can understand that perhaps the 4 cyl stock engine died, but compared to the amount of effort required to put in a LOWER horsepower engine, not to mention losing about a quarter of the deck space on what obviously was a working mule doesn't make much sense. While today the 2A042 genset engine is the logical choice, I suppose those military standard engines weren't yet available to the public in the early 1980s.

Since mules were selling pretty cheap to the public when they were being phased out of the military, I am sure that their new owners didn't think twice about solving their problems 'down and dirty' with either the engine or modifications to suit their needs. I have two mules that have a big square hole cut in the deck and the frame support cut to gain access for a Ford starter they modified to start their mule. Now, how do I fix that?

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 am

W. Winget wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 am
I bet that frame comes right off after cutting the angle Iron, I doubt it's actually butchered up under there. '59 date make it interesting, I'm on the opposite coast, figures.
V/R W Winget
Perhaps, but that opening for the 'new' engine seems much wider than the stock one, and how would you fix that? From what I can see from the photos, you had to open the engine cover to start and stop the engine.

Speaking of engine covers, from the photos the engine is almost completely below the decking, so why did he put that tall box over the engine occupying some of the prime space on the mule deck especially if he wanted a working mule?

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

Looks like the carb (with cleaner) would be sticking above the deck when bolted on. Not being a Mule owner, if you look at the bottom lip of the orange engine housing it looks to have two of what I think are the original deck support tabs remaining, which would indicate it was not widened, but I cannot judge the length, although it would not appear to be abnormally longer than what I recall of my friends deck cover area, and doesn't look like anything protruded above deck line to need clearance (i.e.cutting)
If I were closer I would buy it for 2K and put a proper engine back in, remove what looks to be carefully engineered self supporting outer frame for his winch, paint, fab a deck cover, seat back frame and go have fun.
Wrong coast though, even if it looks to be well prepared for shipping with blocking, etc.
W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 am

I agree that the engine opening width looks original no widening. Length is harder to determine but the engine does not indicate it needed the opening to be enlarged??????

The frame appears bolted on and could be easily removed.

The original top foot basket bed support appears to have been removed.

The steering column clamp to steering gear and the steering gear trunnion blocks and no tabs on the gas cap and the foot basket make it a M274 so the data plate info should be correct for the mule.

There may be extra holes drilled into the trans for mounting the engine and or adapter plate.

If you remove the engine and metal frame you could have a workable carcase to restore.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

gpw6335
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by gpw6335 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 pm

no bids on that one.
1943 GPW 103951
1951 M38 27714
1952 M38a1 28888
1969 M274A5
1972 M151A2
1943 MBT
1951 M100
1979 M416
1962 M37B1

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 pm

gpw6335 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 pm
no bids on that one.
I am not too surprised because by the time you got removing all of that 'extra stuff' and replaced the parts that are either damaged or missing, it would be the most expensive $2,000 mule you ever bought. And that is assuming you can do all of the work yourself.

If you have a lot of extra parts, (engine with all the correct tin, deck covers, and who know what else) it would make sense to buy it, but if you have to look for everything and buy it, it probably will be a long, expensive rebuild.

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by ccandgc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 am

Lower price now. Has 1 bid.
-Chad

Return to “Mule M274”