M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Barrie Richards
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Barrie Richards » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 am

Happy New Year everyone.

I am new to the M274 having just bought one as a Christmas present to myself.
My purchase is a M274-A5, two cylinder, two wheel steer, electric start model.

I believe (?) it has been in the U.K. for 18 months / 2 years and being a Mule novice will gratefully accept any information and advice.

The ID plate on the side of the load bed, at the side of the drivers seat has not been stamped with a serial number or date of manufacture. There is a stamping in the metal of the steering column tube ......
5L610
..... would this relate to the ID of the vehicle or would it be a part number ?

Loads of questions, loads of knowledge to gain !

Regards,
Barrie

S.Wales
U.K.

ltsimp
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Newbie

Post by ltsimp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:41 am

Welcome to the site. You’ve come to the right place to get your questions answered. I however am unable to answer your stamped number question. It does sound like you have a reproduction tag on the side of your mule. I’m sure someone will answer shortly.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:28 am

Welcome to the board Barrie, there are guys here that have forgotten more about mules than I know about them, so you are in the right place. Be sure to check out the mule tech section because Chuck, Charles and others have put together so much information about mules and how to repair them that its like having an expert looking over your shoulder making sure you do it right.

Remember, there is no such thing as a 'dumb question', if you don't know what to do, there is a good chance that many others have the same problem and you can draw on the vast knowledge pool here to find the answer.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 am

Welcome to the board. 11591971 is the part number for the Steering Column Assembly (TM 9-2320-246-20P, page 53). I suspect you have a 2nd series M74A5 by Brunswick Corp. In my experience, mules built under the Brunswick Corp. DAAED7-68-C-1572 contract have part numbers etched into many of the parts. I don't see this on any of the other contract mules. All of the Brunswick Corp. mules that I have in my database have 3 digit serial numbers and registration numbers in the 36### and 37### range. If you can uncover the original registration number painted on the side of the bed, I may be able to give you additional information.

Barrie Richards
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Barrie Richards » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:53 am

Thank you all for the vey prompt replies

My Mule has at sometime been painted Matt black !
There is a Barstow overhaul plate on he engine, dated 1983.

So from this can I assume it was a U.S. marine Mule ?
Were Mules 'in service' painted black ?

Will start rubbing down the paint over the next couple of days (or so) and any markings will keep you all informed .

Regards,
Barrie

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:52 pm

So from this can I assume it was a U.S. marine Mule ?
More than likely, very few of the Brunswick Corp. mules were U.S. Army, those that were carried a 02A#### registration number and were equipped with wide tires and fenders for the TOW missile system package.
Were Mules 'in service' painted black ?
No, should be 24052. Occasionally, you might see a late mule in CARC 3-color cammo. I have seen photos of A5's in use by USMC in Beirut, Lebanon in the 3-color scheme.

If you can find the original registration number, it will tell us a lot about the mule.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Chuck my mule is a camo mule/A5, with a USMC tag, I thought it was made in 1968? I sent you some tag numbers I forgot the info you sent me about it, I was wondering if it was a 'rare mule'.
Thanks
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Mark, I cannot find any information on your mule in my database, I deliberately don't keep a record of owner's names, so without knowing your serial number, I can't tell you much. There is really nothing "rare" about a 3-color cammo mule, and who even knows if it is original paint. I know of several people who have repainted their mules in cammo, one was even in the 5-color scheme with flat black U.S. Army marking!
Last edited by Chuck W. on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:16 am

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see if I can find the original message,I would say the original color would be forrest green
change user name to mark

Barrie Richards
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Barrie Richards » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:37 am

All,

Have spent the morning gently rubbing away at the paint on the side of the bed to look for any serial numbers.

It's only just above freezing in Wales with beautiful sunshine, none of which helped in finding any serial numbers.

I have engine numbers, steering column parts numbers, but no serial numbers !

Chuck,
Incidentally the ID plate on the side of the bed (which has no stamped serial number or date of manufacture) say 'Baifield'.

Your thoughts, please ... ...
Barrie

Daimler Dingo - 1943
Ford GPW - 1945
Ford M151A1 - 1969
M274A5 Mechanical Mule - 196?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:20 am

The registration number is what you are looking for on the side of the bed, should be a 6 digit number painted with yellow paint.

Well, if it is 2WS, then it is an A5, but hard to tell if it is a Baifield Ind. or Brunswick Corp. mule. Obviously, the unstamped data plate is a reproduction. Until recently, the Baifield plate was the only reproduction plate available. John Emery now has both Baifield and Brunswick plates available. My gut feeling is you have a late Brunswick A5, but without the serial number and/or registration numbers, it will be impossible to tell. It's a long shot, but the serial number MIGHT the stamped into the side rail UNDER the data plate,I have seen this a time or two, but only on Brunswick Corp mules.

Barrie Richards
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Barrie Richards » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:05 am

Chuck,

Thank you for the reply.
When you say 'might' be stamped under the ID plate, is that on the bottom edge of the bed or will I need to drill out the rivets to remove the ID plate as it is 'possibly' behind the ID plate ?

Whilst gently rubbing down the side of the bed I did come across some very, very small areas of yellow paint however the paint on the Mule is quite thin (thin black over thin green) which makes me think it has been taken back to the metal at some time and probably taking off all the numbers. (?)

Thanks again and all info gratefully accepted.
Barrie

Daimler Dingo - 1943
Ford GPW - 1945
Ford M151A1 - 1969

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:22 am

The VERY FEW that I have seen were stamped into the side rail BEHIND the data plate and would require it to be removed. It's a very long shot and may not be worth taking the chance of damaging your reproduction plate. Looking for a 3 or 4 digit number.

Barrie Richards
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Barrie Richards » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am

Chuck et al ....

Checked behind the ID plate - absolutely nothing !

There are two plates on the engine fan cover ....
The first one ...
ORD SERIAL NO. 00991
ORD PART NO. 10919400
(and then engine type, rotation etc )

The second one is an overhaul plate ...
SERIAL NO. 00991
OVerhauled by Marine Corp Logistic Base, Barstow
Date 04/83

Can anything be gleened from these ?
Barrie

Daimler Dingo - 1943
Ford GPW - 1945
Ford M151A1 - 1969

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 pm

I have no way to cross-reference engine serial numbers to chassis serial numbers, and even if I did, being an overhauled engine, that's probably not the the engine that was installed as-built. Sorry!

Return to “Mule M274”