M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Newbie

Post by muleman7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 am

Chuck is correct that the engine serial # is not an indication of the vehicle serial #. The engine serial # is an indication of the production sequence/possibly year of engine. Engines could either be rebuilt or replaced and the new ones came with their own top engine shroud with a data plate.

AO42 2cyl Mule Engins:

The serial # for the early engines started with KM- and is visually recognized by the outlet vent valve hard mounted to the air intake horn. The magneto gear is timed 2 teeth off from the cam gear and may have had a fuel primer. These engines were used in the early A2s and possibly in the A3 and A4 conversions depending on stock within the system.

The serial # for the 2nd generation engines started with V- and was used in the A2s-A5s. This engine had a rubber connector for the outlet vent valve and the mag gear was timed V to V on the cam gear. I have not seen a fuel primer on this engine.

I have 3 carb intake tubes in stock:

One is smooth used with the rubber connector for the outlet vent valve and air cleaner tube
One has a nipple on it that used a pre bent rubber connector to the vent valve
One has a welded boss that is threaded 1/4" pipe thread for the 90 degree brass fitting connecting the vent valve

I have 2 outlet vent valves:
One is smooth on one end for the rubber connector and threaded with a tapered end to connect to the 90 degree brass fitting
One has both ends threaded with tapered ends to connect to the 90 degree brass fittings

Your engine rebuild plate gives you a good history of maintenance and location.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Barrie Richards
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Newbie

Post by Barrie Richards » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 am

Chuck & Muleman,
Thankyou both for the information.

Can I summarise ... ...

My M274-A5 Mule is 'most probably' one of the last contract one built by Brunswick, somewhere between 1968 and 1970 (?)
The engine rebuild plate would seem to indicate it was a U.S. Marine vehicle and not U.S. Army (?)

... ... and, once again, thank you all for the info
Barrie

Daimler Dingo - 1943
Ford GPW - 1945
Ford M151A1 - 1969
M274A5 Mechanical Mule - 196?

Return to “Mule M274”