Vietnam Seabee story

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
buick350
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Vietnam Seabee story

Post by buick350 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:54 pm

A story I have to tell. My friends brother served in Nam with the Seabees . Told me a story back in 71 about a mule they stole from the Army . Tore the engine down ,re bored the cylinders and had their machinist make new pistons out of solid aluminum stock. Told me they were doing wheelies down the AM-2 landing strip they built. Yeah right I thought. 36 years later back in 2007 . I saw those pictures he took in Nam of that mule. Had two men sitting on the rear deck ,with their legs hanging over the rail touching the landing mat as the mule with the foot cage pointing at the sky was doing a wheelie. Said it would go the full length of the runway if they wanted.They had also polished the inside of the wheels and mounted them outward for a deep dish hot rod look. His name is Bob Hataway from Olney Illinois. Now living in Texas and not doing well. Anyone who served with him and would like to contact him. PM if you need info.

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Vietnam Seabee story

Post by ccandgc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:10 am

Awesome story. Would love to see that picture.
-Chad

buick350
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by buick350 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:29 am

His younger brother who I went to high school with has it and misplaced from moving several times over the years but says he still has it somewhere.I've been after that picture for four years now just to be posted. Good reason for me to call him and put the bug back in his ear. Told this story to a lot of mule owners and I get the same reaction I had when he told me the story. Disbelief. Update contacted my friend ,said pictures are gone during the estate sale . I've bought and sold over 25 mules back when and have set weight on the back ,not as much as two men but have got at least a foot under the front tires in low range, first gear. I could tell in the picture they had the smallest man they had in the drivers seat.

sergeant diessel
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by sergeant diessel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:21 pm

There is a similar picture on a Facebook owners forum shows 3 on the back with one driving wheels up in the air in front of a quonsst style hut.

murano3
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by murano3 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 am

Anything like this one?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Those are some great photos! (Navy Sucks!) Couple of interesting things I think I see: no starter, looks like they used a pull rope on the smaller crankshaft pulley. I don't see a drive shaft, I would guess they removed the drive shaft and all the front axle internals to cut down on the weight! I'm surprised they left that big gas tank on it! No Hi-Low shifter lever, and possibly the lifting eyes have been removed from the hubs! What a hoot! You'd not get me on that thing!

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:32 pm

What did they move to get the engine further back? With no driveshaft up front, only the front tires will have brakes, dangerous...

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 pm

I think they just made a new, short deck from something else, look how thin it is. The engine looks like it's still in the correct location in relation to the rear tires. You are right about the brakes, although looking at that homemade foot basket, I don't even see a brake pedal! Would be interesting to know the details of what all they did to this one.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 pm

I would suspect that this 'mule' was a works in progress as there isn't even a blower or tin for the cooling on the engine. One can only hope they hooked up a driveshaft and brake pedal before they ran it.

murano3
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by murano3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:30 am

Makes it worse is how high the seats are; especially the passenger seat - that thing would scare the hell out of me!

m561
G-Civilian

Post by m561 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:39 am

here it is ,The picture of the mule doing the wheelie. Neil Stinger is driving . Weiner out of Michigan was the machinist that did the engine work.
Attachments
20220101_113804.jpg

Return to “Mule M274”