M274 steering issue.

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
hatleyn
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
M274 steering issue.

Post by hatleyn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 am

I have put a new steering box on a front wheel steer only mule. The problem I have is when Turing to the left it only goes like 20 degrees compared to the other side which goes say 45 degrees. How do I adjust this to make them the same. Where there is a pin underneath I put that as far back as it would go and now I have a little more but still way off. The old steering box would go equal on both sides
1977 AMG M151A2

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: M274 steering issue.

Post by muleman7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Prior to following the order below make sure your wheels are straight ahead:

Adjust the Telescoping Tube so the Steering Wheel is comfortable for you.

1-Pull the Lock Pin on the Steering Bell Crank Arm [Swing Arm] this will disengage the Steering Gear from the Front Bell Crank Assy.

2-Turn Steering Wheel full right or left then opposite and verify that you are getting almost 3 full turns.

3-Turn the Steering Wheel to center or almost 1-1/2 turns. The Roll Pin in the Steering Gear should align with the Notch in the Lock Plate. If not then the Lock Plate was not put on the Steering Gear properly. There is a witness mark on the Lock Plate and the end of the Steering Shaft these must be in line.

4-Loosen the Clamps on the Steering Drag Link Assy so you can adjust the Tie Rods so the the Swing Arm Pin falls into the last hole in the Lock Plate [the hole closest to the back of the Mule].

5-Verify that you have full left and right without the Steering Gear bottoming prior to a full turn.

The Steering Gear must be in Center Position when wheels are straight ahead.

Contact me via e-mail see my contact info if you have further questions.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “Mule M274”