Transport trailer

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
sergeant diessel
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Transport trailer

Post by sergeant diessel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Just been thinking about getting an enclosed trailer I currently use an open 5x8 lawn trailer I bump the front wheels to the rail and I let the basket over hang the front when I shut the back gate it leave about 2 to 3 inches from the back of the mule. It is decent to carry just the mule but I'd like to take camp supplies or reenacting equipment with me and securing it all down tote boxes stoves etc then making sure of waterproofnees with tarp and not being theft secure when going to lunch at a McDonald's or gas station etc. I been looking at getting a 6x10 or a 6x12 enclosed . I was wondering what people have as setup for there trailer size ease of use . Weight and balance if u drive forward or back the mule in. securing it having a ramp style door vs ramps amount of room for other items etc etc. I drive a grand Cherokee so trying to keep with single axle and as small as possible thanks in advance

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Transport trailer

Post by crankshaft45 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:23 am

When I got a second mule I bought an enclosed trailer to store it in and transport it. Don't go less than 6X12. That is still kind of tight, can just get by the mule with it parked against a wall. Also if you have a trailer hitch on the mule I highly recommend the "Louisiana trailer dog" mounted crosswise at the front of the trailer. Then straps to secure the other end. Due to the side door on the trailer I back the mule in close to the left wall. Another benefit is the trailer makes a great bedroom at the shows I go to. I had to build an interior door that opens outward like the screen door on travel trailers. This has worked great for me.
82nd Airborne 1960-63

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am

Did a search and found the following page for Enclosed Trailers with all Options listed. You may have to go with the 12' length because the Mule with the Foot Basket attached has an overall length of 118.25". With Drop Axles and an Electric Jack you might easily raise the front of the trailer while attached to your vehicle enough to load the mule Backwards without ramps????????. A side door would be an asset for loading additional items and securing the rear of the mule. Floor Mount D Rings would be an easy way to secure the mule.

https://trailershowroom.com/6x12sal.htm#.WgLweraZOy8

https://www.alumaklm.com/enclosed-trailers/single-axle
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by crankshaft45 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 am

Forgot to mention, my trailer came with the drop down ramp rear door. Makes it a snap to unload and load. Another thing to look for is the swing down jacks on the rear od the trailer. That way you can load and unload while the trailer is not attached to the vehicle. They were standard on my trailer.
82nd Airborne 1960-63

Lance-W
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Lance-W » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:49 am

E-Track gives you limitless options for tying stuff down to the deck or walls. This seller on Ebay has the best deals I've found as well as many options for different sizes of packages. I've never had a failure with E-Track and I've hauled stuff all over the country.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48pc-E-Track-C ... 1438.l2649

Dbaumanjr
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Dbaumanjr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 pm

You will find that no matter what length trailer you decide on, it would be nice to have another 2 feet.
Tandem axle pulls nicer & handles the load better. Drop down gate/ramp is wonderful. A side door is really handy. My brother has a 12 foot enclosed, tandem axle that he pulls everyday with a '99 Grand Cherokee. The 4.7 v-8 handles it no problem. Though he put airbags in the rear suspension.
Hope this helps, 8)
Darryl
Real Jeeps are Olive Drab
'67 M715 w/winch
'66 M718 Frontline Ambulance
'64 M274a1 Finished!
'58 M274 Finished!

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:19 pm

I just bought a new trailer this year. What I had before was a single axle 6X12 with side door and rear drop ramp door. It worked fine. But trust me, you will tire of it quickly. The mule is about all you will get in it. This year I sold my 6X12 and bought a dual tandem 8X16 with the "V" nose, side door and rear drop ramp door, with the rear drop jacks for support and leveling. I love it. Plenty of room, plus I even have room for a cot if I decide to stay over night. The dual tandem pulls great with my dodge 1/2 ton with the V8. I even ordered mine with a window on each side for those HOT summer days.

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Another advantage of the dual tandem is you can put your mule so the trailer carries all the weight and your truck just does the pulling so you wont have to do anything to the rear axle of your Cherokee. hope this helps.

LifeLongWNYer
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by LifeLongWNYer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:38 pm

So, when you refer to a very specialized term, like a "Louisiana trailer dog", why not tell the rest of us what it really is?

JBP
JBP
Rush, NY

Small Military Fleet, only one lonely A2 Mule,
But several other antiques, including me!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 pm

If anybody is interested: My mule hauler is a 24' x 8' x 8' Haulmark trailer that is set up to haul two mules and has a "living quarters" in the front 12'. Insulated w/air conditioner and heater, stove, sink, refridg, queen futon, microwave, coffee maker, porta-potty, etc. Four new tires, LED lights. Since I am pretty much out of the mule business, I no longer need it, so it's for sale for $6,500.

timsresort

Post by timsresort » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I bought an enclosed this year, yes it's bigger than what you're talking about, 18' with a V-nose, and I realize you won't tow that with a Cherokee. But it was a great decision. I was tired of every time I travelled having my junk exposed to the elements and the possibility of theft. For some trips we take, camping in the desert, It serves as a camper, with a cot and a dry roof over my head. Best of all, you can load days ahead or after the trip, and just close the door. A side note, no more having to give the whole explanation at every gas stop you make.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by crankshaft45 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:57 am

A Louisiana trailer dog is a steel plate that bolts to the floor of the trailer. It is slotted with two rails that have a 2X2" bracket that slides back and forth the length of the plate. This bracket holds a 2X2" upright piece of square tubing with a trailer coupler on it. It latches onto the hitch ball to hold the vehicle. The last time I looked there was also a " Louisiana Guard Dog" that goes in the trailer hitch of your truck. I mounted mine crosswise at the front of the trailer so lining up to it is not a problem. I have been using one for years to haul quad runners and love it, no fooling with tie down straps, although the mule requires tie downs on the other end to keep it from bouncing around in the trailer.
82nd Airborne 1960-63

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 am

sergeant diessel
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by sergeant diessel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 am

Ok so general thought process is a 6x12 v nose tandem with ramp style door side door and jacks in back ? Is there any worries of the door not taking the weight of the mule does it need to be beefed up or typically decent from factory . I work 6 days a week so I haven't been able to do much research minus getting online so apologies for lots of questions thanks

LifeLongWNYer
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by LifeLongWNYer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks Crankshaft 45 for your explanation and picture. I did a lot of searching on the internet and found a lot of references to it, but no explanation, nor pictures. Nice going!!

JBP
JBP
Rush, NY

Small Military Fleet, only one lonely A2 Mule,
But several other antiques, including me!

Return to “Mule M274”