New Mule Transmission Trouble M274-A5

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

New Mule Transmission Trouble M274-A5

Post by Grummanflyer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Got my new mule home and almost immediately had transmission trouble. Locked up solid in second gear and would not budge out. I could drive it in second but it would not shift into any other gears. Neutral on the range selector worked fine. I pulled the poppet ball and spring but no dice. Pulled first/reverse ball and spring. What I found here was someone had stuffed TWO balls in that hole for some reason. Still no joy. Rocking, bouncing, shaking, rolling & large amounts of profanity later, I gave up, drained the oil which had no metal contamination of any kind, and pulled the front cover from the transmission case. At some point in the disassembly the gearbox freed up. Gears all good, nice and shiney. I did find that it has been worked on before by someone who would like to be a mechanic someday maybe. Seals in backwards, plenty of permatex and bathtub calk, loose bearing retainer bolts, the Timken tapered roller bearing cage beat all to hell with a hammer. I might as well call John Emery and order the new improved poppet ball kits. I'm going to go ahead also and replace all the bearings because most of them are pretty rough feeling except the pocket bearing in the input shaft. Any other ideers on what happened please let me know.

John
Last edited by Grummanflyer on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: New Mule Transmission Trouble M274-A5

Post by muleman7 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:37 am

John

It could be one of the Plates #4 popped out keeping the Sleeve #3 from Moving. generally unlikely if the Poppet ball and spring were in place.

I use a rubber band around the synchro assy to keep the plates in place when installing the Main Shaft as the Sleeve has to be moved to engage with the Shift Fork. Easy to remove when installed.

I have installed John's Modified Poppets and they make the trans shift like new with no jogging or bumping the handles. Replace all.

You might consider replacing Rings #1 and Springs #2 since you have it apart. The Blocking Rings are the main parts that wear and cause grinding when shifting between 2nd and 3rd.

The Shift Shaft Seals are installed with 1st one pointing in and 2nd one pointing out to wipe shaft during shifting.

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks Muleman. I did call John today and ordered a seal/gasket kit, new modified poppet ball kits and blocking rings and springs. The blocking rings had a worn sort of edge rolled up on them and there was no gap. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the bearings since I'm already in there and would prefer not to have to take it apart again. Good idea on the rubber band. I did reinstall it just for the experience after I washed it and it is a little tough to keep everything aligned especially since you have to roll that shifting fork in at the same time but it wasn't too bad. I took it back out and am just waiting on the parts to arrive. Some of the studs came out when I took it apart so I will reset them and clean everything up good while I wait for the goodies to arrive.

John
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:30 pm

I feel your pain...trannys are fun, especially if some bozo was in there before you...
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

BTW Muleman (Charles) is a great resource. You might check the poppet between the 1st rev and 2nd 3rd shift shafts...mine was gone!
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Got the transmission fixed(I think) :D I haven't taken it for a test spin yet because it's raining here but I'm pretty sure I have it licked. This is the first one of these I have been into and boy did I get an education. First and foremost, reading the articles on this and the tech board were a Godsend and I thank all those who posted of their experience's and lessons learned. I am sure the main problem was the shift plates on the sliding collar for the blocking rings. From working the assembly on the bench, I can see that they will climb up on top of the rings and wedge the collar so it can't slide back to center. I took the old bearings and honed the inside so they would slide freely on their respective shafts and used this to see how much play, fore and aft there was when I put the rear cover on. Since I don't have a modified rear cover, I did this one at a time using the adjacent empty hole and my flexible remote camera to get a look at the clearance and there was way too much. I measured about .110 thousands initially. I fabricated shims and finally found what I thought was the correct amount of free play. I was never able to find exactly what it should be from the service manual but I left just a little. Evidently , whoever has been in this thing before, left them out. I also found out that once you have the rear cover back on, you better put the bearing covers back on before you try shifting the darn thing. If you don't, the bearing will slide out just enough to cause the shift plates to pop out and hang and then you get the distinct pleasure of tearing it back apart and doing it all over again. If there is anybody here who just likes to take these things apart just for the hell of it, I think you need to get a life :) This was all done in frame with new bearings,blocking rings and springs, poppet ball kits, seals and gaskets from John Emery Mule Supply and topped off with Amsoil gear lube. Thanks again to Muleman and Chuck for the pictures and advice and to Gunslinger for turning me on to this place at KCR this year. I hope to get to ride with you guys in the spring.
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 am

Yay! Glad you got though it! Happy motoring! :D

Return to “Mule M274”