Mule issue when turning.

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
hatleyn
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Mule issue when turning.

Post by hatleyn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 am

Hello all so I have a 4 wheel steer mule. I have fixed the issue twice and for some reason it keeps occurring. On the driver side front hub when I take a sharp turn as much as it will go one of the balls will fall out therefore making me have to pull it back apart and fix the issue again. It has the center ball with rod. Along with the four other balls. Everything lines up and sets great. Could this be a overseer issue or just wore out hub and balls. It started occuring when i put a bunch of load on it in reverse with wheels turned ever since then the issue occurs. One more note. With the front tires sitting straight the back tend to be a little turned to the drivers side. Thanks

Neil
1977 AMG M151A2

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Mule issue when turning.

Post by muleman7 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 am

Yes the CV Joint is worn and will continue to drop one or all of the 4 outside balls. Replace the joint assy.

WARNING: I have seen a loose ball wedge and break the steering knuckle.

For your alignment problem:

1-make sure your steering gear is in center position. To check this remove the tie rod from the swing arm on the steering gear. Turn the wheel full right or left then full back the opposite way. You should have nearly 3 full turns. From either R-L turn the wheel 1-1/2 turns. The roll pin on the steering gear should lineup with the notch in the swing arm.

2-Disconnect the rear steering rod from the front bellcrank assy and install it into the 2WS lockout plate. turn the front tires so the rear steering rod can switch between 2WS and 4WS without movement of the front or rear tires.

3-When you can do this I use a 2x4 x 2 feet long that is cut to a wedge. I inset this wedge and drive it in with a hammer between the tow bar draglink and the front bed support to prevent the front bellcrank assy moving.

4-Check your rear steering rod so the clevis pin will drop into 2 or 4WS easily. When you can do this then adjust the steering draglink assy so the tie rod falls into the swing arm when the roll pin and notch lineup.

5-lossen all tie rod assy clamps and get a pipe wrench as the assys may be hard to turn.

6-I use a 6 foot straight edge and place it on the hub nuts then check the clearance at the front and rear of the tire. Some Mulers use a string wrapped around all 4 tires. I try to get 1/16 toe in on each tire so you get about 1/8 total toe in.

CAUTION: Worn tie rod ends will give you trouble setting alignment as they will let the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock move in and out.

There is a special lineup tool issued for the mule that attaches to the steering rod and the front bellcrank assy and I have one but have never used it since the above way I used before I got the tool.

I also have an A-Frame and lift the mule so I can work on it while standing.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “Mule M274”